PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Battle Questions

vekon
28-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi, I have been trying to work out a few questions about two laptop computers that Im currenty playing around with.
I have a Acer/Texas Instruments Extensa 610CD with P100mhz 40MB ram, DSTN LCD etc. The other is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS with P120mhz 32MB ram, DSTN LCD etc.
Both work good.
First question: The Extensa 61CD display is much much clearer and brighter with hardly any white brightness on the sides. The toshiba is vise versa... big bright white on the left side.
Someone told me that it could be the motherboard? but what?
Next query: extensa seems to run quicker and start up faster, while toshiba takes about 20 seconds longer to startup. Using intenet on extensa seems to operate faster too (using same 33.6k modem on both).
Is there something the Toshiba doesnt have in its blood that the Extensa does? I really do prefer Toshiba. The acer's spec's are less than toshiba yet seems to operate faster. Whats your opinion and pick out of these two brands? :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
28-10-2004, 07:06 PM
With those machines, I found, through overclocking my old legendary machine (remember!... everyone who was here before the forum upgrade :p) an extra 20Mhz means nothing... you won't notice anything. However, a slight change in ram size will alter your performance greatly. I'd personally go with the Acer because of this.

To those who missed out on my 'troubles' :p.... aw.... how unfortunate ;-) But I managed to get my Pentium 75Mhz up running sTaBlE at Pentium 120Mhz speed, without any extra fan, thermal paste or what ever they're called.... Still have it under a desk somewhere....

george12
28-10-2004, 09:26 PM
So?

I accidently ran my P75 at 150mhz when I was 12. It ran so nicely that I just piled on 2 more fans and another heatsink. A CPU with 2 heatsinks....

Those were the days when I was young and crazy...

George

Susan B
29-10-2004, 09:40 AM
> Is there something the Toshiba doesnt have in its blood that the Extensa does? I really do prefer Toshiba. The acer's spec's are less than toshiba yet seems to operate faster.

I think you would have to look at what is in the startup folders of both of those machines. They are fairly old machines so shouldn't be infested with unnecessary things starting up like most of the computers these days but it probably wouldn't take much to slow one down.

A good cleanout of things like the index.dat files, temp files, etc will do the world of good. See the FAQ section for the Maintenance FAQ for advice on that matter.

wintertide
29-10-2004, 11:38 AM
The Toshiba 430CDS has a passive matrix screen so you will get that bright white on the screen... try turning down the cotnrast. :)

Those Toshiba 430's are good! Use that one instead of the Acer...

vekon
30-10-2004, 11:57 AM
thanx for all the advice. ive been running into another problem with the toshiba. when ever i use intenet explorer, I get the blue screen errors. it then causes toshiba to crash. both laptops have been configured and setup the same. same windows, same IE6 etc. Maybe 32MB ram on toshiba not good enough?

Susan B
30-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Have you actually done any virus and spyware scanning/cleaning recently? Checking out that kind of thing is normally the first port of call when a PC starts playing up. Pop over to the FAQ section if you need some advice. ;-)