PDA

View Full Version : BIOS no longer detects CD-ROM drives??!?!

forrest44
28-10-2004, 02:57 PM
I recently set up a network between 2 PCs at our place

In the process I happened to unconnect bothg my optical drives, a LG CD-ROM and an AOpen CD writer.
After connecting them up again, trying different jumper settings, the LG fails to power up at all: no lights, can't eject tray, etc.

The AOpen powers up OK, but the BIOS fails to detect it!

I have no idea whats wrong, I have tried connecting it to the primary IDE cable, etc, etc

Help! Whats wrong??

my PC is a dell dimension XPS T500 with a intel SE440BX2 motherboard (I think), 550 MHz, 128MB ram, etc

Cheers
Forrest

Spacemannz
28-10-2004, 03:04 PM
So, why did u disconnect the cds, just to network 2 PC's??

If the LG doesnt power up at all and the tray doesnt open, it sounds like theres no power going to it.

If u have 2 CD's I would put them on the secondary ide, NOT the primary the same as the hdd. And go into the BIOS, and select the secondary master /slave ide and put them on AUTO. Then the system SHOULD see both of the CD's.

Pheonix
28-10-2004, 04:42 PM
The CD-ROM drives do not need the IDE connected to open the drawer with front buttons. All they will need is power plugged in.

In fact, if it has a headphone socket on the front, you just put in an audio CD and it will play with only the power connected and no other leads.

Hopefully this will help in your fault tracing endeavors.

Bletch
28-10-2004, 05:17 PM
I have had this problem before. If the IDE cable is plugged in upside-down, it will produce the effects you are describing. Try only plugging one drive in first, and then adding the slave. Make sure the master works before adding the slave. You can also get the same effect with hard drives - the drive won't spin until you put the cable in the correct way.

Bletch