PDA

View Full Version : Network worries

grahamem
28-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi, I have a home network consisting of three XP pro boxes. The problem I'm having is that I cant access one of the boxes from the other two. However the one I cant access can access the other two boxes no problem, as well as the internet (cable modem) through an adsl/cable router/switch. I've tried all the obvious stuff, disabled firewalls, made sure file and printer sharing is turned on, even tried another NIC and cat5 cables. It all used to work and this started only a couple of weeks back. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Graham L
28-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Check the users setup. The rogue one might have lost the users which let the other two access it; while its user is still OK on the others. (Maybe the "Guest" user?)

Spacemannz
28-10-2004, 02:25 PM
You didnt use the network wizard did u?? Set up the ips manually.

grahamem
28-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Ok I changed the ip manually (it was assigned by DHCP) on the machine that cant be accessed, but no change. I get the error message "the specified network name is no longer available" or "the semaphore period has timed out". I can ping the machine from the command line with no problem, and can see it when I click on "view workgroup computers" in my network places, but when I select it I get the above messages. Cheers.

Spacemannz
29-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Well all I can think of is:

File sharing isnt ticked under LAN on all 3. If one cant access the other.

A folder hasnt been created, and hasnt been shared on whatever PC.

I take it all 3 have the same Workgroup name.

What's connecting them to the network?? A hub? the router, with ethernet connections on them?

Have u got some kind of firewall?.

Is XP' s firewall enabled on any of the 3? Is Zonealarm installed on any of the 3?

The router may also be blocking something. And some ip or something may have to be added to the router.

grahamem
29-10-2004, 09:23 AM
I sorted it out, I found an article on the web describing how to reset TCP/IP in XP pro. Tried it, and it worked, able to access the dodgy machine from all the others now. Thanks for your input, cheers.

Rob99
29-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Could you provide a link please

grahamem
29-10-2004, 11:29 AM
No worries, here it is: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357