PDA

View Full Version : Speakers stop working with USB unit

stuffed
28-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Have a USB Audigy2 NX Sound Blaster unit (XP Pro). Use this for line in, microphone, headphones and speakers. When plug in the headphones this mutes the speakers – no problem but when unplug the headphones the only way can get the speakers to work again is to reboot. It is obviously a software issue but cannot find it!
Any suggestions?
Many thanks

metla
28-10-2004, 01:40 PM
what makes you think its a software issue?,the process of muting and re-enabling the speakers triggered by inserting or removing the jack would be hardwired into the unit.

stuffed
28-10-2004, 01:52 PM
ok thanks but how do I fix it?!

Graham L
28-10-2004, 02:01 PM
There appear to be some software upgrades which you should get from creative. (or elsewhere: "audigy2 nx download" to Google will find them). It might not be the OS driver software ... the external audigy boxes have a clever computer in them. (The master volume control rotates continuously --- it's a digital control). Plugging in the headphones might electronically "switch" the output, or just mute the speaker outputs.

stuffed
28-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks will try that - had a play round of the settings for the USB unit and under the speaker selection you can test each speaker – nothing works after unplugging the headphones – but there is a check box for “digital output only” – checking this they still do not work BUT unchecking it again they do! Now that is messy stuff that there should be a simple answer to?!!
Thanks

Spacemannz
28-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Well the digital setting I would say is to do with SPDIF??

If that unit has Digital in/out on it. Which wont work properly, (I think), unless u plug it into something with the same socket (digital in /out like a minidisk)..

Pete O\'Neil
28-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Seeing as its a USB unit have you tryed unplugging it and then plugging it back in? USB is hot swappable so it wont have a detremental effect on the Audigy or the PC. Obviously its not the most convenient solution to the problem. Does creative have a forum? If they do it might be a good idea to post there, it might be a known problem, or you could have a faulty unit.

Graham L
28-10-2004, 02:36 PM
There are some known bugs, so Creative have made some modified software available. 20MB, 11MB ... :D

Pete O\'Neil
28-10-2004, 02:41 PM
> There are some known bugs, so Creative have made some
> modified software available. 20MB, 11MB ... :D
Good ole Creative, their drivers are so error riden and bloated it makes the old drivers ATi use to make look wonderful.

For anyone with a creative soundblaster, do a google for the KX project. Its a set of third party drivers for soundblasters, dont think they fully support the new Audigy2's but they work fine with my older Audigy1. MP3's, WAV, Midi's all sound far better, but have been informed that the KX projects support for EAX is limited.

stuffed
28-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your help - the driver update fix the problem!

metla
28-10-2004, 04:23 PM
see....i told you it was hardware.....lmao.

Doh!!!