PDA

View Full Version : Copying CD to CD

Pato
27-10-2004, 02:18 PM
My newly built PC has a CD-ROM and a CD-RW burner. I am learning how to work them. FAQ's have been helpful but I am having trouble copying CD-R directly to CD-RW so I can edit the CD. I copied several files to a CD-R, one of which was from the web and several financial reports I had prepared i.e. "Finance Report 1" "Finance Report 2" etc. The file from the Web copied perfectly CD-R to CD-RW but the other files will not copy. What am I doing wrong?. The burner is a Pioneer 107 and I am using the "Ulead" software that came with it

Peter H
27-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Probally better to copy them to a folder on your Hard Drive, and then to the CD-RW.
Bye

Spacemannz
27-10-2004, 03:44 PM
I agree Peter. Isnt the Pioneer 107 a DVD burner?? And Ulead programs are usually for burning video/mpegs/photos etc to DVD. I use the Ulead programs here (Moviefactory/Pictureshow/Videostudio).

I cant say Ive seen anything to do with burning docs to CD in any of these.

It might be better to buy something like Nero or CD Creator for burning things like documents to CD. It might also be better to burn to CDR since most things besides the original burner wont read CDRW.

Pato
27-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I thought that once I had the files on a CD-R I could then copy them direct from the CD-ROM to a CD-RW disk in the Burner so that I could then edit the disc like a floppy. I managed to copy a music disc ok so I know it's working. I had read about the Nero and Roxio software in the FAQ's so perhaps I should follow your advice and go that way.

Spacemannz
27-10-2004, 04:30 PM
So whats the point of copying to a cdr then cdrw?? thats just a waste of the cdr. Since once u delete something from a cdr you wont get the space back. BUT with a CDRW u do, and u can also format a cdrw.

Well theres a few ways to copy a music cd. Try and copy it directly (which doesnt always work), or rip the cd and make MP3's and then reburn it back to as many cds as u want. And burning cds to cdrw may not always work on other cd's besides the computer cd. If u want to play it in a stereo.

godfather
27-10-2004, 04:31 PM
CD-RW (CD-ReWrite) is essentially a write only media, that can then be totally erased.

Its NOT a CD-ReadWrite, in the manner of a floppy disk.

You can achieve some semblance of read-write at file level, albeit somewhat unreliably if you use packet writing software, such as InCD but thats not the design use.

Vince
28-10-2004, 03:54 AM
> CD-RW (CD-ReWrite) is essentially a write only media,
> that can then be totally erased.
>
> Its NOT a CD-ReadWrite, in the manner of a floppy
> disk.
>
> You can achieve some semblance of read-write at file
> level, albeit somewhat unreliably if you use packet
> writing software, such as InCD but thats not the
> design use.

Could you please explain that in more detail Godfather. After reading the above, I checked my MP3 backup which I recorded on CD/RW a couple of years ago. The are playable. I don't think I know what you are saying about CD/RWs being write only. Vince :-)

godfather
28-10-2004, 07:43 AM
The true intention of a CD-RW disk is that it can be recorded to. Just like a CD-R. The difference is that the entire CD-RW disk can then be erased and re-used, where a CD-R cannot.

While "packet writing" software provides the abilitiy to treat the disk as a Read-Write media that allows editing of any file on the disk, the original intent was not that.

If you use the media with "packet writing" applications as a Read-Write disk, you cannot read it on a PC that does not have packet reading software, its in a different format.

Using a CD-RW as a Read-Write medium like a large floppy disk, can lead to the loss of all data on it if the Table of Contents becomes corrupt during the editing of any file. By their very nature, there is a high error rate on any CD-RW and this happens, quite often.

If you write to a CD-RW in the normal manner, then it will be readable as you mention but you cannot then edit the files on the disk. They are write only, but the entire disk can be erased and re-written.

Additionally there is a difference in the amount of "reflectivity" of the CD-RW disk, due to the different dye substrate used, which means some drives may have difficulty reading the CD-RW media. That means that an audio CD recorded on CD-RW is often not playable on a stereo system, it simply will not see the disk unless its a very recent and compatable system.

If you place any value on your data, avoid CD-RW as the sole means of archiving. If you use packet writing, then make sure all data is backed up using another method.

Pato
28-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks Spacemannz and Godfather. I am learning fast. I was curious why I could copy one file from the CR-R to a CD-RW but it wouldn't copy the others on the disc and I am still none the wiser but I guess it isn't important. Many thanks to you both for your comments which have been quite helpful.

Vince
28-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks GF, that has cleared up several issues I have had with CD/RW. Vince :-)