PDA

View Full Version : Acer Veriton box and XP

wintertide
27-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I have a customer's box in front of me doing a strange problem... It's an Acer Veriton 5100 running XP. After the PC boots into XP Pro, and sits there for a minute, it restarts unexpectedly. It isn't a BSOD doing it but I did check in the Event Log and ACPI is having an access violation at 0x70c and 0x71c. It also restarts if you do anything in MSN (which pops up on startup).

I have eliminated most of the possibilites and am now almost tearing my hair out.

Anyone able to help me on this one?

Winter

Pheonix
28-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Overheating maybe?

Cleanout of dust and check of cooling fans.

wintertide
28-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Nope, doesn't look like overheating... We clean all the fans out with a compressor before we build the little beasties.

We had Win98SE running on it fine before it left here and it even crashed on us when we tried to install XP!

Looks like we will have to swap the box out :(

Pheonix
28-10-2004, 10:28 AM
I take you have run a memory checker, such as memtest86? A bad memory gate can show up on memory intensive work such as loading operating systems.

wintertide
28-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes, we use DocMem and memtest86 on our systems here... we even tried swapping out the RAM and same thing.

Swapped the box and problems solved though... just gotta love having a warehouse of systems at your disposal :D

Pete O\'Neil
28-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Have you tryed swapping out different peices of hardware to see if its one particular peice causing the problem? I had a similar problem where windows 2000 just refused to install on a particular system, it would format the harddrive and copy over setup files, and then blue screen at exactly the same place each time. After swapping out hardware i narrowed it down to the motherboard. The owner couldnt justify a new motherboard so stuck with 98SE.