PDA

View Full Version : Linux formatted slave HD

Dumb1
27-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Is there a way to check a (possibly) linux formatted HD fitted as a slave
in an machine with XP on the primary drive.

Jen C
27-10-2004, 12:26 PM
What do you mean by check? Check what contents are on the Linux drive or if there are errors on the hard drive itself?

You can use a Live-CD such as Knoppix to read the drive or I believe there is a program that can be run from within Windows that allows ext2/3 partitions to be viewable (can't remember the name of it at the moment).

If you wish to check the intergrity of the drive, most HDD manufacturers have utilities that run off a floppy only to check for errors, and it does not matter what file format or OS is on the drive.

chiefnz
27-10-2004, 12:33 PM
What are you wanting to check for?

Are you...

a) Wanting to see if there is a Linux installation on the disk?

b) Just trying to see if the drive is formatted as a Linux ext3 file system?

If a then you could just set the slave drive to master and see if it boots into Linux.

If b then your best bet would be to use a partition program like Partition Magic or you can even use fdisk to check what kind of file system it's formatted as.

hope that helps.

cheers

chiefnz

Dumb1
27-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Have a slave HD installed which is formatted for linux and XP can not "see"it

Jen C
27-10-2004, 01:28 PM
XP or any Window OS cannot see Linux file systems natively, so the disks/partitions will be invisible.

So do you want to read what files are on the Linux partition? There is this program which can read ext2 and ext3 (the most common Linux file systems) called Explore2fs (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm). I haven't ever used it so cannot comment further on it.

Dumb1
27-10-2004, 01:34 PM
We want to see if the HD is connected properly (it is 2nd hand) and then reformat it for XP.

Spacemannz
27-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Well if all u want is to format it. If it shows up on bootup and its setup in the BIOS as the secondary slave. The system will know its there, and you'll be able to format it for XP in Windows.

Jen C
27-10-2004, 01:46 PM
> We want to see if the HD is connected properly (it is
> 2nd hand) and then reformat it for XP.

Ah! Well it helps if you could of mentioned your purpose of "seeing" the drive a wee bit earlier :)

So ... you can tell if the drive is recognised by going into the BIOS and seeing if it is detected there or by watching the screen info during POST.

To reformat it, you can try using a boot floppy disk with fdisk on it and remove the partitions from the slave drive. Then reboot the machine.

>and then reformat it for XP
You want to install the OS XP on it, or just use it for data storage?

Microsoft has even written an article on how to remove Linux and install Windows :D
How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314458)

If you wish to just format it with FAT32 or NTFS for data storage, once the Linux filesystem/partitions have been removed, you can use the Disk Manager within XP to format the slave drive.

mikebartnz
28-10-2004, 12:29 PM
>If b then your best bet would be to use a partition program like Partition Magic
I wouldn't let Partition Magic anywhere near a Linux partition.

mikebartnz
28-10-2004, 12:32 PM
>I believe there is a program that can be run from within Windows that allows ext2/3 partitions to be viewable
Try explore2fs-1.00pre6.zip There may be a later version now.

mikebartnz
28-10-2004, 12:37 PM
>To reformat it, you can try using a boot floppy disk with fdisk on it and remove the partitions from the slave drive. Then reboot the machine.
Just use Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management /Disk Management You can see the disk and remove the partitions then make it a NTFS partition and Format from there.

Chilling_Silence
28-10-2004, 07:31 PM
You all need to get over Explore2fs..... Unless you're on Win9x, I wouldnt....

Try Ext2IFS (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm)

Works a charm!

Chill.

drb1
28-10-2004, 08:00 PM
> Try
> Ext2IFS (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.ht
> )
>
> Works a charm!
>
>
> Chill.

Why cant Microscam come up with such a nice little toy?

All those S/W writers running around at M/S HQ?

Perhaps they just dont want to?

M/S wouldnt behave like that, would they?

D.

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I doubt they want to....

Ive used Ext2IFS once or twice and had no issues at all - its brilliant...

Sucks it can now only read my /boot partition (On my desktop) :-(

Chill.