PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Disk Doctor Sensors

PeterC
26-10-2004, 09:19 PM
I have just installed System Works 2004 on a new Win 98SE PC. I have only System Doctor disk sensors displayed for Drive C - not my other partitions.
The Health Sensor is set to 'Monitor All Local Hard Drives' but only the C drive has a bullet against it - and it won't accept multiple bullets.
My previous version 3.0 of System Works showed all partitions with my Win 98 o/s.
I have tried all the options I can find in order to display all partitions.
Can anyone resolve.
(There is no Norton Help desk, the FAQs do not cover this, the help phone is Australia with a charge for calling them - as well as the telecom charge. Not impressed with Norton service.)

KatiMike
27-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi PeterC , I empathasise with your problems with Norton service/ support . It would be useful if you could supply a bit more info w.r.t your computer - did you make it/ revamp it , or buy it from a shop ? What sort of components are in it - ram / cpu/ hdd etc ? How many partitions are there ? Are they all Win98se partitions ? etc etc . I'm sure with a bit more info , the suggestions will flow ... and Welcome by the way :)

Vince
27-10-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi Peter, Check the Disk Doctor Options, Advanced tab to see if the following applys.

The Advanced tab
The Advanced tab includes options on what tests to have Disk Doctor not perform (Tests to Skip) and how Disk Doctor should interact with other programs (Background Operation).

Tests to Skip:
Only One Hard Disk: Check this option to ignore erroneously reported additional disk drives.

If this option is ticked then remove the tick. Vince

Vince
27-10-2004, 02:55 AM
I forgot to say that info is from the Symantec Knowledge Base. It can be very helpful, with a bit of persistence. :-)

PeterC
27-10-2004, 08:56 AM
KatiMike - New system unit, dealer assembled at my request. Intel Celeron 2.4Hz CPU, Albatron PM266A Pro Motherboard, 512MB PC3200 DDR SDimm (400MHz), 40GB hard drive. All W98SE partitions, c to j, 6 X 4GB & 2 X 8GB.

I initially installed my Nortons 3.0, as used on my W98 PC with a similar number, but smaller, partions, and although it showed sensors for all partitions it gave incorrect sizes for the new 8GB partitions and when I did a Nortons defrag it locked everything up and the second time I lost all but three partitions. It was back to the dealer twice and they diagnosed the problem as the earlier version of Nortons - hence buying the 2004 edition, but like most new software it's less user friendly. (The dealer only sold me the hardware so I cannot expect help with the Nortons, and I wouldn't anticipate Dick Smith Electronics knowing much about what they sell!)

Vince - The only ticked item under advanced options is Skip File date & time tests.

Thanks for your input, but any more ideas/suggestions?