PDA

View Full Version : [OT] The Best Web Browser

Mada
26-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Which web browser is your favorite? Is it Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, Netscape or (booo!) Internet Explorer, or is it another little known one?
Post your answers here with the reasons you like the browser, a link to its website and the name itself.
Example: My personal favorite is Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org), because 1: It doesn't let spyware onto your system and 2: It has tabbed browsing.
You don't have to even give reasons, just the name and a link. I look forward to the posts. :-)

metla
26-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Internet Explorer.

Why?

Because its the only one that the Xtra page is designed to work on,and Xtra are telecom,and Telecom are to be respected and adored for having the ability to rape us of large sums of money.

Pete O\'Neil
26-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Oh god here we go again time for another browser flame war.

metla
26-10-2004, 02:23 PM
a browser flame war?

How silly,i have already posted the definitive answer,...What more is their that can be said?

Mada
26-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Actually, Firefox does work on the Xtra website. The only (minor) problems are to do with formatting.

JamesStewart
26-10-2004, 02:34 PM
It HAS to be Mozilla Firefox

Well I was using IE for about ... forever ever since windows 3.11 but about a month about I downloaded Mozilla Firefox. And I am never going back to IE ever again. The only reservation I have is that when using MSN Messenger, your inbox opens in IE but for those who have not, I have found a plugin in that will let you open you Hotmail inbox in your defualy brower. Download Messenger Plus! 3 : http://www.msgplus.net and then once that had been installed, download StuffPlug NG: http://www.stuffplug.com. The StuffPlug NG adds alot of goodies to MSN, such was tabbed chatting, tells you when some one closes the chat box that you have open with them and tells you when people open a chat window with you but do not talk to you. ANY WAY, enough about MSN. Mozilla rocks, the fact that its power is never ending due to people being able to create great plugins. There is no other. And I find it increadable that Microsoft didn't make IE a tabbed browser with the new SP2 update, the biggest mistake I have seen them make in a while.

metla
26-10-2004, 02:43 PM
I would hardley call it displaying it with broken formatting as working,Broken is broken no matter what spin is put on it.

When Mozilla can code like MS let me know about it,untill then they can can keep their fire"browser that can't display pages properlly"fox.

They should leave the creation of software to those that can do it how its meant to be done.thats Microsoft for those not in the know.

For so it is written

God gave Bill Gates to us,and he went forth and blessed the world with the code he purchased from elsewhere,and in time he hired others to add features he had seen on Apple computers,Then with marketing plan in hand and hardware makers in his pocket he did spread the word of MS,Untill he came to the point that the entire land was to be blessed......with Windows.

For using the mighty tools at hand(money) he did slay his compettion,and assimlated the weak,And they would be weak no more...for they would have had their ideas stolen and be bankrupted,....

Mada
26-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Somehow one gets the feeling that you are not a Microsoft fanatic.
Oh, and Firefox does work pretty good with the Xtra site. Firefox is loosely based around the netscape browser which was strognly based on the Mozilla browser. Still, IE is good. I only have one complaint: it doesn't have tabbed browsing. RSS support would be nice (Firefox already has it). Anyway, I liked IE and still hold it in good esteem, just I have found a browser that suits me better.

metla
26-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Just messing around,The Xtra page is a dog and a disgrace as are Telecom and Xtra,I would rather be infected with rabies then visit the Xtra homepage,IE is even worse,a blight on all computers and a virus and trojan Portal.

Firefox all the way.

Pete O\'Neil
26-10-2004, 03:00 PM
> Somehow one gets the feeling that you are not a
> Microsoft fanatic.
> Oh, and Firefox does work pretty good with the Xtra
> site. Firefox is loosely based around the netscape
> browser which was strognly based on the Mozilla
> browser. Still, IE is good. I only have one
> complaint: it doesn't have tabbed browsing. RSS
> support would be nice (Firefox already has it).
> Anyway, I liked IE and still hold it in good esteem,
> just I have found a browser that suits me better.
Umm isnt it the other way around, Firefox is just Mozilla without the email client, and Mozilla is based on the same open source code that Netscape is? Tabbed browsing is annoying, give me a double sized taskbar and individual windows any day.;

metla
26-10-2004, 03:06 PM
I find Tabs most worthy when im working on a site and have multiple pages and programs open,it keeps the live pages seperate from everything else.

Trying to update my site,view the site,and have windows displaying manufacturers sites was hell.

That is if hell was defined as a mild anoyance that got me uptight,If it was defined as everlasting agony due to being drenched in fire that i supose i wasn't quite at that level...

lmfao.

I must be bored.

Will Hunt
26-10-2004, 03:36 PM
I use Avent Browser. I've tried firefox, and while it is definatly superior to IE, and its extreamly security safe, i just pefer AB.

JamesStewart
26-10-2004, 03:45 PM
I had AB, but its too .. nah, Mozilla is another level up and way better. But agreed, AB is a step in the right direction. Inoying how IE is build so strongly into Windows ... wish you could replace the whole thing with Mozilla...

MrBeef
26-10-2004, 03:48 PM
go opera all the way.

Except for its lack of internet banking at BNZ. but me i dont care.

JamesStewart
26-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Mozilla FF lets you use IB at BNZ .. use it about 10 times a day.

Winston001
26-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Opera

pulling hair out
26-10-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm using Firefox 1.10.1 PR but am waiting for final release of Firefox before I decide whether to go back to previous 0.9.3 version or just go back to Internet Explorer.

When I first used Firefox, it was 0.9.3 or one just before it. It was small, fast and you were the one who determined how much/ or what you wanted to add to it. It was great and I recommended it to lots of people. But not any more.

I'm now on PR 1.10.1 and its been a big turnoff. Deleted miles of default bookmarks eg. the firefox crew's 15 bookmarks, latest BBC headlines -29 of them, Quicksearch bookmarks which seemed to be doubleups.
Numerous episodes now of "site not found", "no data on page", "timed out".
Its a pity that the good work they put in to improve the browser seems to be making it rather bulky. But they do deserve a pat on the back for what they have achieved.

When I had another few sessions on IE I didn't get the site not found and other problems. Will just have to be more alert to security.

Murray P
26-10-2004, 04:26 PM
> When I had another few sessions on IE I didn't get the site not found and
> other problems. Will just have to be more alert to security.

It's not the browser as such giving you that grief Marg, it's the lousy (proprietary) coding on the websites, some intentionally done so that only one browser will work correctly. Drop them a polite line to let them know that they and their webites stink. The more people that do this the better ;)

What you do with your unwanted bookmarks is: Right click > delete. Problem solved :) Personally had no issues with 1.0pr

Mozilla FF then Mozilla for me.

Cheers Murray P

Baldy
26-10-2004, 05:18 PM
> Just messing around,The Xtra page is a dog and a
> disgrace as are Telecom and Xtra,I would rather be
> infected with rabies then visit the Xtra homepage,IE
> is even worse,a blight on all computers and a virus
> and trojan Portal.
>
> Firefox all the way.

Perhaps thats your problem Metla. You visited the Xtra homepage and it pushed you off the edge mentally. You're an idiot

metla
26-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks Baldy.

Your opinion matters.

Honestly it does,about as much as all the other misguided uninformed people with no idea what they are talking about.

Keep it up.

the highlander
26-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Mozilla, rarely encounter any problems. My only gripes is the ggogle toolbar is not large enough and I'm buggered if I can get google to search within an open page. Still, it oozes class and I'm converting everyone i know to it as fast as possible.

mikebartnz
26-10-2004, 11:04 PM
>Tabbed browsing is annoying,
Maybe you haven't learnt how to use it properly.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2004, 11:45 PM
You mean people use something other than Links2 (http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/)?!?!

timmie
26-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Firefox- by a clear margin. As well as the reasons you state i love its list of Extensions (e.g. drag & drop a link to open it in a new Tab) - you can pick and choose the functionality you want rather use a bloated browser.

Azsen
27-10-2004, 12:08 AM
:^O :^O Metla.

Go intarweb exploder!!

mikebartnz
27-10-2004, 12:26 AM
What is it like Chill?

george12
27-10-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm getting Firefox NOW!

JamesStewart
27-10-2004, 12:35 AM
What the other guy didn't mention. If you havea a mouse with a middle wheel, click the wheel down on a link and it opens in a new tab. click on the tab with the middle again and its gone, that easy. But the extentions add alot of power.

drb1
27-10-2004, 12:45 AM
fox,

george12
27-10-2004, 12:51 AM
That's real cool, love the features. But just one problem:

I got Firefox, but it seems slow (like program speed not internet speed), and uses 47MB of ram instad of IE's 16MB.

Now, it shouldn't be slow. I am running a Cel D 3.06GHZ, FSB 680, 256K cache, and I have 512MB DDR400 ram (Running at DDR340 because 1:1 FSB ratio).

And most sites tend to look slightly better in IE, dare I say it. But the tabbed browsing? - I AM IN LOVE WITH IT. It is the most essential feature IE lacks.

George
(Time to go to bed now)

mikebartnz
27-10-2004, 12:58 AM
>and uses 47MB of ram instad of IE's 16MB.
I'm sorry but IE uses a lot more than that even if you don't use it.

>And most sites tend to look slightly better in IE
That is probably more to do with the fact of there being so many crappy web devs writting crappy code.

fergie
27-10-2004, 07:09 AM
I have just switched to Opera (from IE) after reading all the artilcles in PCW.
So far - no probs, and i am regretting i hadn't changed earlier.

Mada
27-10-2004, 08:36 AM
> What the other guy didn't mention. If you havea a
> mouse with a middle wheel, click the wheel down on a
> link and it opens in a new tab. click on the tab with
> the middle again and its gone, that easy. But the
> extentions add alot of power.

Hey, I didn't know that before! Great click saving feature. Firefox is great!

Mada
27-10-2004, 08:44 AM
While Microsoft holds a monopoly, things aren't going to get much better.
Once someone breaks that monopoly, Microsoft will be a very competitive and good company (one hopes), meaning that IE may improve; unless they use Firefox instead.

Rob99
27-10-2004, 08:49 AM
>> What the other guy didn't mention. If you havea a
>> mouse with a middle wheel, click the wheel down on a
>> link and it opens in a new tab. click on the tab with
>> the middle again and its gone, that easy. But the
>> extentions add alot of power.

>Hey, I didn't know that before! Great click saving feature. Firefox is great!

You think thats cool, get the drag and drop timmie mentioned, not only can you drag a link into a new tab, but select some words drag them into a google search.

R2x1
27-10-2004, 10:16 AM
>Once someone breaks that monopoly, Microsoft will be a very competitive and good company (one hopes),
>meaning that IE may improve; unless they use Firefox instead.

:^O :^O :^O :^O :^O

Yeah, Right.

45South
28-10-2004, 08:19 AM
I've just changed to Firefox & I like it
One problem though my own site pages don't display as well as they did in IE
Seems to have a few alignment problems
Time for some cross browser testing & a few changes (which I should have done anyway but was too lazy)

mark c
28-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I started with IE, like most people, then tried Opera and never changed. Tried Firefox for a while but just preferred Opera.

Apart from the technicalities and vulnerabilities I think it comes down to being a bit like the car you drive. You just like the look or feel of it regardless of the specifications.

I doubt that point made way at the top about "Firefox is not open to Spyware" though. I wouldn't assume any browser is bullet proof.

"D

mark c
28-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Duh, I mean...

:D

Mada
28-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Okay, so it seems most of you don't like Microsoft, but what about its products (not taking into account the huge price tags)?

gtr676
28-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Mozilla Firefox is now my preferred choice and it works ok with my IB ANZ so it gets my vote.

g :D

mejobloggs
09-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Just got opera, so I can see what its like. I think firefox is better, but I did like all the bookmarks that Opera installed.