PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to my Internet access?

k8smum
26-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi. Twice in the last couple of weeks, and again today, I have had to do a system restore to regain access to the Internet. The PC is running XP Pro SP1. We have a cable connection through a router (Netgear FR114P), and run McAfee V7.0, ZoneAlarm Pro, Spybot and Pest Patrol. I have a feeling that "something" is getting in and stuffing things up. Does anyone have any idea what it might be and, more importantly, how we can stop the #*@#! thing(s). Thanks.

45South
26-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Seeing as a system restore fixes your problem a hardware fault can almost be ruled out (unless it's one of those cool intermittent ones that only does it sometimes)
Zone Alarm has been known to cause the odd problem or 2, have you checked for updates for it?
Does anyone else have access to the machine that might have played around with your settings?
Are you getting any error messages in particular (if at all)
Have you tried right clicking your connection & running the repair tool before you restore?

k8smum
26-10-2004, 10:44 AM
> Seeing as a system restore fixes your problem a
> hardware fault can almost be ruled out (unless it's
> one of those cool intermittent ones that only does it
> sometimes)
> Zone Alarm has been known to cause the odd problem or
> 2, have you checked for updates for it?

Yes

> Does anyone else have access to the machine that
> might have played around with your settings?

Yes, but no

> Are you getting any error messages in particular (if
> at all)

Page cannot be displayed, or Action cancelled

> Have you tried right clicking your connection &
> running the repair tool before you restore?

No - will try that next time (if there is a next time!)

Meantime, should I set up a restore point as at now? I chose a system restore point earlier this morning and have lost some adaware program that was downloaded yesterday. Hey - maybe that was what stuffed things up??? Bloody computers X-(

45South
26-10-2004, 10:50 AM
>Bloody computers
Now there's a great title for a new book!

Yep if all is well now I'd create a new restore point.
Me being me, I'd have a clean up of old programs, temp files, temp internet files, do a disk cleanup, dump all old restore points except the last one & defrag etc. then create a new restore point.

45South
26-10-2004, 10:51 AM
>some adaware program that was downloaded yesterday
what was the name of it?

Davesdad
26-10-2004, 10:53 AM
> have lost some adaware program that was
> downloaded yesterday. Hey - maybe that was what
> stuffed things up??? Bloody computers X-(

Did AdAware remove anything when you scaned with it. Sometime the removal of spyware can affect your internet connection because of changes made to the registry by the spyware.

k8smum
26-10-2004, 10:59 AM
> >some adaware program that was downloaded yesterday
> what was the name of it?

Can't remember, but it included "se" in the title. Not sure if that tells you anythying...

k8smum
26-10-2004, 11:01 AM
> > have lost some adaware program that was
> > downloaded yesterday. Hey - maybe that was what
> > stuffed things up??? Bloody computers X-(
>
> Did AdAware remove anything when you scaned with it.

Don't know - I didn't do a scan - someone else did.

> Sometime the removal of spyware can affect your
> internet connection because of changes made to the
> registry by the spyware.

Which is another reason why I hate computers! :)

45South
26-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Might have been Ad-Aware SE from lavasoft
Be careful what you download as there are a lot of "rip off look a like" spyware removal programs available which will do more harm than good.
You can check the list of suspect ones here before downloading
Check out PF1's FAQ's or spywarewarrior.com for info before you download

k8smum
28-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Yep if all is well now I'd create a new restore
> point.
> Me being me, I'd have a clean up of old programs,
> temp files, temp internet files, do a disk cleanup,
> dump all old restore points except the last one &
> defrag etc. then create a new restore point.

The saga continues. I did all of the above and created a retore point as at last Tuesday (26th). It seems that each time I shut down my PC my internet connection stops working. I know it is a problem unique to this PC as I have two others on the same network that work fine. I have had to do about 4 system restores over the last couple of days. Although this works, it is bloody annoying having to do it over and over again. Any bright ideas about what might be causing my connection to stop working? Thanks.

k8smum
28-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I can now confirm absolutely that I lose internet access each time I shut down/restart this stupid PC. I have just done another system restore to get access back. What might be causing this annoying problem, and how might it be fixed, please?

Prescott
28-10-2004, 06:20 PM
maybe, maybe you can do a reformat??? but back up your data first.... what do others think, its a last resort though......

45South
28-10-2004, 06:28 PM
IMO
I'd give it to a pro for no more than 1/2 an hour
Then format if he can't find the problem