PDA

View Full Version : IE Page not Found on my wireless laptop

amijinx
26-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi, I have been able to surf the internet, IE and MSN previously using my inbuilt IBM wireless connection in every hotel public areas (currently on round trip - location so far successful was HK, Amsterdam, Zurich and Spain). Currently I am in Dusseldorf and the hotel wireless connections is working perfectly, 100% connection but problem is when I try to log into i.e. google.com it took at least 10 mins or longer to open the page, but then if i typed in a search, it will show up as Page Not Found. Worse, other websites will not open at all. I tried pinging, it came up as Request Time Out. MSN, Outlook, ICQ not working at all too. I tried shutting down zonealarm and NAV and reboot, but same thing happened.

I am using WinXP Pro, IBM ThinkPad R40e, 512Mhz.

Please help. Thanks in Advance.
P/S: in internet cafe now.

godfather
26-10-2004, 08:23 AM
I really doubt this is your problem to fix.

Do not confuse your good connection to the wireless netwrok as indicating a good connection to the internet.

It sounds like the wireless network has a very limited connection to the internet, or is swamped by the connections already established.

Consider the event of someone downloading a significant amount of data, they will occupy all the internet bandwidth available to the wireless network, but not affect the ability of the wireless network to connect to your PC. Just no bandwidth left for you to get internet access.

It could be the only way the hotel can moderate the cost of internet access - have a low capacity link, to stop guests running up 100's of GB of data.