PDA

View Full Version : AMD reboot

ken_eff
25-10-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm trying to fix a resurrected PC. It's an AMD Athlon 750-based thing and often either reboots or hangs when starting WIN98SE. I remember reading about a fix for the problem, but can't find a reference. Can anyone help, please?

george12
25-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Graphics card

george12
25-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Just elaborating on that stupidly brief answer:

Every time I have ever had this problem it has been the Graphics Card. But it has never happened on an onboard graphics. If you have onboard, suspect hardware. Check seatings of CPU and memory, or pressure on them. I have had two similar problems before.

One was an IDE cable loose, and pulling slightly out of it's socket triggering a reboot.

Another was the CPU heatsink slightly misaligned, making the CPU unhappy and locking up at the slighest movement.

The third (third??) was dust in the ram sockets, and so the connection was unreliable and when that area of RAM got used it would reboot.

HTH Cheers

metla
26-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Any piece of hardware in the comp could be causing that to happen,Run a ramtester on it,then try another psu...after that you maybe out of luck unless you have access to a supply of known good parts that are compatible.

ken_eff
26-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Yep, thanks folks, I'm aware that faulty hardware can cause this prob, but I've checked all that, and it all seems okay, BUT, if memory serves me, this was a known issue with the earlier Athlons under WIN98 and I'm pretty-well convinced that this is the problem. I suppose all that's left is to flash update the BIOS, which I really hoped not to have to do...

tweak\'e
26-10-2004, 09:51 AM
what sort of hardware and dows it boot into safe mode?

can you boot with a dos boot disk?