PDA

View Full Version : Will it work, pentium3 cpu in Pentium 2 boards .

lightfoot
25-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Will it work, Pentium cpu in Pentium 2 boards .

I was wondering will it work if I put Pentium 3 cpu, 500MHz in a Pentium 2 board which from the manual says max switch is at 400 MHz. What would happen if I try it with max switch at 400 MHz, burn board, power supply ?? What about over-clocking. Many thanks.

godfather
25-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Unless its a slot 1 motherboard, how are you going to accommodate the different pins and socket requirements?

Big hammer perhaps?

What is the socket basis of each CPU...?

lightfoot
25-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Nothing further needs to accommodate. Both are the same slot, both the cpu and board, so that would not be a problem . Would it work and what are consequences. Thanks

godfather
25-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Slot 1 is supposed to be the same pinout I think, but the BIOS may be a problem.

The Slot 1 CPU's can be identified by the BIOS, and I had trouble years ago trying to get a faster CPU to be recognised by the motherboard. Gave up and later found that it needed a BIOS flash to enable the higher speed CPU.

Even though the motherboard had jumpers for speed, they were ignored in favour of the CPU lock.

I suspect the only answer you will get is to try it and see, but there would be no guarantees of no damage to either CPU or motherboard. What are the core voltages of the chips, they will probably be different as well.

drb1
25-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Lightfoot,

I have not had much sucess putting p3 into p2.

Other way no prob.

it may be the boards i'm working with, only negative result so far P3 get hot fast, wont post or wont boot into dos after post

I believe there is a voltage issue not sure.

Damage will result if over clock to far, or put larger sensative cpu in old high voltage board.

D.

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 07:46 PM
what mobo do you have?

p3's will work in some p2 boards. they require the right chipset, bios support and voltage support.