PDA

View Full Version : OT: small mod

Prescott
25-10-2004, 12:52 PM
hi guys, well i need another hard drive in my small case, but i cant put it near my other hard drive asw i wont fit. so i need to think of where to put it, im thinking of putting it where the floppy drive is beacuse i never use it anyway, any suggestions on how to do this, i was thinking of just drillling new holes in the holding bay and chuck the drive in. or is there more to it??? im just going to use the drive as a back up one.
any suggestions for this small mod would be great

Prescott
25-10-2004, 12:54 PM
whoops forgot to add this: im going to use it as a slave drive, at the moment it has win95 on it and i think it is fat 32(is this a problem) and i would need to format yes??

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 12:57 PM
you should be able to replace the floopy with a drive easy enough. only problem could be is if the ide cable will reach.

Peter H
25-10-2004, 12:59 PM
You can mount it anywhere - sideways etc. I wouldn't get rid of the floppy - you will need it one day to boot from, when all else fails.
Bye

Spacemannz
25-10-2004, 01:02 PM
If you want to get rid of the floppy, buy a usb drive. Just hopefully, you have an option in the BIOS, so u can boot from something like USB. Most pcs's nowadays anyway have no floppy.

Having one wont be the end of the world

Prescott
25-10-2004, 01:04 PM
> You can mount it anywhere - sideways etc. I wouldn't
> get rid of the floppy - you will need it one day to
> boot from, when all else fails.
> Bye

but i have 2 cd roms....
also would i need to format it and change it to ntfs??

Spacemannz
25-10-2004, 01:09 PM
If your OS is XP, you can format it in ntfs, or fat32. As XP can read fat32/ntfs.

If its 98, then no, it cant read ntfs.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 01:17 PM
whoops another thing i forgot....., yeah my rig is running xp home, would i need to reformat on the xp machine or on the win95 machine

Spacemannz
25-10-2004, 01:21 PM
If u have 1 PC, and all youre doing is adding another hdd in the case as a slave. You can format it in XP home after, you install the new hdd and add it as a slave. Just remember to change the jumper on the hdd you're adding. And also go into the BIOS, and change the secondary ide to slave, so the BIOS, then the system knows its there.

BUT yup, once youve added the hdd, you shouldnt HAVE to format it, if you dont want to. BUT if u want more space, go ahead and format it.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 01:35 PM
thats just a right click on the HDD in windows and press format??

Spacemannz
25-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Yup that should do it Prescott. right mouse/format

Prescott
25-10-2004, 01:45 PM
brilliant, im going to do that now, laters

beama
26-10-2004, 01:06 PM
>>whoops forgot to add this: im going to use it as a slave drive, at the >>moment it has win95 on it

> If you want to get rid of the floppy, buy a usb
> drive. Just hopefully, you have an option in the
> BIOS, so u can boot from something like USB. Most
> pcs's nowadays anyway have no floppy.
>
> Having one wont be the end of the world

95 does not support usb unless patched (if you can still get it)

Prescott
30-10-2004, 06:32 PM
UPDATE: ive finally had time to put that HDD in, when i said i was going to install it, i saw what was needed to be done and i just left it for the weekend, well ive done it now and there was a fair bit of work involved too, i had to rip out all my cd roms, and rearrage my ide cables, it was a mission because of my midget of a case and so yeah im going to have to get some rounded ide cables so there will be a bit more room. thanks for all the help/suggestions
over and out.