PDA

View Full Version : LAN with two computers. Need a switch?

Mada
25-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm considering a network hook-up between 2 computers. I have network capabilities for both of them, but no ethernet hub/switch. I've heard of a peer-to-peer network, but am unsure as to if this means just buying the necessary network cable and hooking them up directly, or do I need to fork out more cash?

Spacemannz
25-10-2004, 11:24 AM
You need either an ethernet HUB, or a crossover cable. To network 2 PC's.

Megaman
25-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Yup it's possible. It's called a "straight through" network. All you'll need to buy is a CAT 6 cable (as opposed to CAT 5 for computer --> switch --> computer), and plug each end into the two computers :)

Davesdad
25-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Have a look at the network (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=52146&message=323350) FAQ for information on networking PCs

Mada
25-10-2004, 11:33 AM
>All you'll need to buy is a CAT 6 cable (as opposed to CAT 5 for computer --> >switch --> computer), and plug each end into the two computers

So the cable you mention is a crossover cable?

Spacemannz
25-10-2004, 11:36 AM
The CAT 6 I believe is the same as a CAT 5 cable (but has a crossover at one end). The CAT 5 cable doesnt.

The crossover is separate / you have to buy it. (If you buy a CAT 5 cable).

Murray P
25-10-2004, 11:48 AM
> >All you'll need to buy is a CAT 6 cable (as opposed
> to CAT 5 for computer --> >switch --> computer), and
> plug each end into the two computers
>
> So the cable you mention is a crossover cable?

Yes, for a direct connection between the PC's ethernet ports (diff names for same port/card: Ethernet, NIC, Network, LAN)

The cable can be cat5, cat5E or cat6. It doesn't really matter for a simple network with short distances involved, but most cable at your local store will be either cat5E or cat6 (the same cat5/5E/6 cables are used through a switch/hub except they are wired differently).

What is your intention for the network, sharing an internet connection or simply sharing data between the PC's?

If you use for eg, an ADSL router with multiple ports to connect to the internet, you can use this to network the computers (and share the internet connection) instead, in which case you would use straight through patch cables not crossover.

Cheers Murray P

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 12:24 PM
>All you'll need to buy is a CAT 6 cable

>The CAT 6 I believe is the same as a CAT 5 cable (but has a crossover at one end)

what you need is a crossover cable. cat5/5e/6 is the grade/spec of the cable. cat5e is the most comman and is cheap. you won't get any better performance by going to cat6.

instead of a crossover cable you can use an ordanary lan cable and by a crossover plug/adapter.

if there is a possiblilty of adding any more pc's i would get a switch. the're not very exspencive and it can be less problematic than useing a crossover cable. (some lan cards don't like crossover setups).

Mada
25-10-2004, 12:30 PM
>What is your intention for the network, sharing an internet connection or simply sharing data between the PC's?

Both.

Mada
25-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Oh yes, and I might mention I don't have Broadband, just dail-up (Telecom is throwing their monopoly to the dogs, because Woosh will probably get to my area first).

Murray P
25-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Tweak'e is on the money. If your going to go with wireless internet, consider a multi port route, in the meantime use straight through cable with a crossover adapter as suggested, then you can remove the adapter and use the same cable..

Cheers Murray P

Mada
25-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Plus I only have one modem and the other computer is situated in a place with no phone jack.

Mada
25-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Does this mean I can access the internet from the other computer (it has no modem, because it is in a room with no phone jack and until now, networking both my computers was not an option)?

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 12:53 PM
murry you just reminded be......wireless network. if the wireing is going to be a major consider a wireless network. drawback of wireless however is sicurity and cost.

mada.....how far away is the other pc ?

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 12:55 PM
>Does this mean I can access the internet from the other computer

yes it can be done.

Mada
25-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Umm, about 30 meters away.

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 01:00 PM
>Umm, about 30 meters away.

provided you can get a wire there then there's no problem.

Mada
26-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Thank you very much everyone for all of your help. I hope to have a working network set up soon.
Just two more things: I suppose that setting up a network with Win XP Pro is a no-brainer? And also, what happens when you network a Win 98 SE computer with a Win XP Pro computer? Food for thought.

Rob99
26-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Come back here when you get the hardware sorted and tell us what you are going to use. Dont use the wizzards, as a manual setup is easy and just as fast.

Spacemannz
26-10-2004, 09:16 AM
And also, what happens when you network a Win 98 SE computer with a Win XP Pro computer?

Nothing happens it works if u configure it properly. 98 can read ntfs on a network, (if thats what you were asking / worried about).

If u formatted in NTFS and vice-versa. Its when u format in NTFS and have XP and 98 on the same hdd that u have probs with 98.

Rob99
26-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Networks are simmilar to the internet.
It dosent matter what computers are on each end, nix, apple, pc, alien.

Pete O\'Neil
26-10-2004, 09:54 AM
If your going to run a 30m cable its probably a better idea to run a normal patch cable and get a crossover adapter. That way if you decide you want to upgrade the network at a later date by adding a switch you wont need to run a new cable. Granted you could recrimp the cable or use the uplink port on a switch, but using a patch cable will be less hassle.

bk T
26-10-2004, 10:12 AM
> ... Dont use the
> wizzards, as a manual setup is easy and just as fast.

If I remember correctly, I read in one article (can't remember where) saying that in XP, we have to run the Wizard ( for network setup) at least once to establish a network connection.

How true is it?

45South
26-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Not true, best done manually

Mada
26-10-2004, 01:11 PM
>If your going to run a 30m cable its probably a better idea to run a normal patch cable and get a crossover adapter. That way if you decide you want to upgrade the network at a later date by adding a switch you wont need to run a new cable.

Yes, but that would probably be more expensive + I don't have any plans for a third computer (but it could happen).

Dusty
26-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi Mada.

I am just starting to look into networking and found this website which loke FAQ #60 might be useful

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1427

Good luck.