PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Making Loud Noise

robottom
25-10-2004, 07:34 AM
I started turning the PC on, and the last several times it makes a strange groaning noise like it is struggling to start up? Was wondering if the Hard Drive has a problem? The PC is only a couple of months old.

johnboy
25-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Have you done a defrag since you've had it if not do one now. Is it new and under warranty if so it might pay to take it to where you got it so they can check it out.
hth

drb1
25-10-2004, 08:56 AM
And back up all data to an allternative source if possible, before defragging.

If its dying, save data before defrag, in case defrag kills it.

D.

beama
25-10-2004, 08:59 AM
backup then take back to the shop it should still be under warrenty

metla
25-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I would concur with Drb1.

Forget defraging it,infact i wouldnt even turn the comp on,that drive needs to come out and be slaved into anothor machine so you can make a copy of your personal files.

Unless you dont have any or care about personal files.

The end is near,Take action,

PaulD
25-10-2004, 09:02 AM
More likely to be a fan. Small fans on video cards or motherboards aren't very reliable.

Jen C
25-10-2004, 09:26 AM
I agree with the possibility of it being a fan as well. If the fan is a bit sick, they can make grinding noises etc as they first spin up which then quietens down after full momentum is achieved.

You should take the side of the case off and see if you can pin-point the source of the noise. Finding the source of a noise inside a case can be difficult, but you can make a listening funnel if the source isn't obvious. Put several sheets of A4 paper together, and then roll them on the long diagonal to make a long thin funnel and tape it in place. Turn the machine on and use the narrow end to put as close as you can near the suspected devices and plant your ear in the other end :D - make sure you don't accidently put the end of the funnel into a spinning fan. This looks strange but works. :)

Sb0h
25-10-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree it is probably a fan. The bearings can make awful noises on startup but the noise disappears when they get warm. Check the CPU fan, power supply and any case fans. The good news is they are sheap to replace, although if your PC is only a couple of months old it should go back to the store for warranty service.

mark c
25-10-2004, 10:29 AM
...and if you open the case you'll most likely void the warranty. It's the least interesting option but I'd say take it back to the shop. :D

Murray P
25-10-2004, 10:57 AM
> ...and if you open the case you'll most likely void
> the warranty. It's the least interesting option but
> I'd say take it back to the shop. :D

Yup, take it back, get them to back up your data. If the CPU fan, for eg, dies on you and consequently the CPU fries while your trying to diagnose the sound, the shop is likey to question what you where doing pocking around inside the case and whether the was the cause. Besides you still don't know for sure what it is.

Cheers Murray P

Jen C
25-10-2004, 11:01 AM
> the warranty.

Unlikely. This has been discussed many times on this forum, and opening the case to look inside cannot void your warranty despite any stickers sealing the case cover warning otherwise (consumer rights). You can void your warranty by making changes to the hardware, and not by merely looking inside a case.

> I'd say take it back to the shop.

Regardless of whether you discover the cause to be a fan or not, it still indicates a faulty component so it is up the shop to remedy the fault.

Murray P
25-10-2004, 11:20 AM
OT.

Have a nice break Jen or was it work related? Nice to see you posting again, now where's that SB got too?

Cheers Murray P

Jen C
25-10-2004, 11:29 AM
> OT.
> Have a nice break Jen or was it work related? Nice to
> see you posting again, now where's that SB got too?

Hmm ... did have a wee break, but I've been having some "time-out" from actively posting on PF1 and have been in lurk mode for a while :p

Prescott
25-10-2004, 12:16 PM
my pc makes a funny sort of noise like that, i ripped open the case booted up and i noticed it was on of the fans, after 1min or so it stoped making the noise and went back to normal., if its a fan theres nothing really to worry(depending where it is...)
HTH

45South
25-10-2004, 12:28 PM
>if its a fan theres nothing really to worry
Oh really?
I would argue with that
If it is a fan on the chipset, CPU, video card, or PSU then either replace it or take it out (not PSU, unless you know what you are doing) clean it with a toothbrush, take the sticker/plug off the back put 2 drops of light oil into it, replace the sticker/plug & the noise will lessen.
The noise is there for a purpose.
The fan is telling you "I'm stuffed" or "I need some maintenance"
"If you don't replace me or maintain me I will stop working & you won't have to put up with my funny noises any more"
Your'e computer won't work anymore either by the way.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 12:33 PM
notice how i said "depending where is it is"

45South
25-10-2004, 01:06 PM
>notice how i said "depending where is it is"
So tell me where there might be a fan "not to worry about"

The only one that I would disconnect would be a case fan, even then on tightly packed boxes such as HP's & Compaq's I'd think twice about that

Billy T
25-10-2004, 02:12 PM
> the warranty.

For the umpteenth time, you will not void your warranty by opening the case, and even if the seller puts it in writing that you will void the warranty, they cannot sustain that position if challenged. Consumer law is on your side.

As long as you do not physically or electrically damage any components (don't forget anti-static precautions if removing CPU, RAM or cards) there is no reason why you can't do some noise-source sleuthing, not that you would need to touch any of the above while looking for the source of the noise.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

robottom
25-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help and comments. I will ring up tomorrow and take it back to get looked at, and save my documents to CD/DVD incase I lose any info.

Cheers Paul.

Big John
25-10-2004, 02:41 PM
I'd go with the case fan as well. I have one that makes a really horrible noise when it is first turned on when the weather is cold but after about 30 seconds to a minute it quiets down. The fan still works so no use spending the money buying a new one just yet.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 04:05 PM
> I'd go with the case fan as well. I have one that
> makes a really horrible noise when it is first turned
> on when the weather is cold but after about 30
> seconds to a minute it quiets down. The fan still
> works so no use spending the money buying a new one
> just yet.

45 south, this is what i was meaning, if it does this theres not really _much_ to worry about, mine does the same thing

Billy T
25-10-2004, 06:04 PM
It is easy to diagnose though, you just stick a pencil or paper clip into the suspect fan then switch on. No noise means that's the culprit.

I thought I was losing an HDD some time back but it was one of two fans on a supplementary cooler I fitted when I thought a video fault was caused by case overheating, but that's another story.:8}

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Murray P
25-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Your absolutely right with regards opening the case does not void the warranty. However the point is, the machine is under warranty, it is making funny noises so, why risk having to battle the shop for you rights when it is they that should put the source of the noise right in the first place.

I know most of us would dive in anyway, but your average computer user shouldn't.

Cheers Murray P

drb1
25-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Murrray,

Thank you, what you can do, and what it is advisable to do are different things.

Unopened, there is 1 less avenue available to the Supplyer for avoiding/contesting liability.

D.

ApeNz
26-10-2004, 07:27 AM
thats why you dont buy a brand PC , to add anything in you have to get a certified blah which cost more money then its worth to find that there was a loose screw. Custom build are much better you either do it yourself ( went great thanks ) or get some local computer store to do it , then when something goes wrong since you have individual componant warerenties it is much better

mark c
26-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks to all for clarifying the issue about warranty/opening case.

I always thought that you voided it by opening the case and didn't realise it had been discussd here many times.

(Must've been behind the door.) :D