PDA

View Full Version : FAQ #10 What are Press F1 users' favorite programs?

-FAQ-
25-10-2004, 07:43 AM
FAQ #10 What are Press F1 users' favorite programs?

Below is a list of Press F1 users' favourite programs, listed in no particular order of preference.
Not all programs may still be available. Obsolete programs may still be found on some sites.
Some programs may be freeware or have ad-supported free versions, most are shareware or paid programs.
As no links are provided you will need to do a search on Google to find the program you wish to use.

Internet

Firefox - free fast internet browser

opera - fast internet browser

Mozilla - free internet browser with email client, etc

eudora - THE BEST EMAIL PROGRAM

Thunderbird - free email program

Mailwasher - remove the spam from your inbox before it downloads from the server

Outpost - firewall, fairly lightweight and no splash screen

ZoneAlarm - firewall, free and paid versions

Host file - found in the Windows directory. Can be used to block unwanted sites eg. Adverts etc.

Popup killer and Free Surfer and WebWasher to get rid of annoying ads

Pop-Up Companion

AdsOff - adblocker

AtGuard - ahhh - peace of mind

Copernic 2000 pro for searching

google for searching

icq - messenger program

trillian - messenger program

Gaim - messenger program

ics config - ics manager

BroadBand Wizard to optimise my connection

PuTTY - Telnet/SSH client.

flashget - downloader app so you can resume downloads

Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) - to speed up my d/loads

kazaa lite - spyware-free version of kazaa fileshareing app

Gnucleus - P2P file sharing, no spyware

WinMX - File sharing

DC++ - File Sharing.

SmartFTP

WS_FTP LE - FTP webpage upload program

1st Page 2000 - HTML editor

Spyware, adware and viruses

AVG - free antivirus (has also a pro version)

Ad-aware - adware and spyware remover

refupdate - reference file updater tool for adaware

Spybot Search and Destroy - adware and spyware remover

PestPatrol to remove trojans spyware etc

SpywareBlaster - prevent spyware being installed

SpywareGuard - prevent spyware being installed

Graphics

Irfanview - free graphics viewer

Adobe Photo Shop 7.0 - quite simply the best photo editing suite out there. Expensive

PolyView - sophisticated image editor - small and yes... FREE

Ulead Cool 3D - great 3D text and image distorter - free

Paint Shop Pro - for most of your graphics needs

ACDsee so I can arrange and edit all my jpg and convert all my bmps etc

GIMP - Image Editor

Utilities

letter assigner - makes 98/me able to assign fixed letters to hardrives

x-setup - mother of all tweakers

cacheman - vcache and memory tweaker

cachesentry - IE cache manager

mbm (motherboard monitor) - monitor pc temps

tweakUI - microsofts tweaker

vcool - cpu cooler program

Mpower - ram free up utility for systems that struggle with little ram or apps that wont release

memturbo plus to manage my ram

msmouse - microsoft mouse driver works quite well with most mice

ps2 rate adjuster - speed up ps2 mouse (make it smooooth baby)

ToniArts Easy Cleaner

regcleaner - helps keep registry tidy

jv16 power tools - cleaning apps but still beta

Fix-It Utilities to repair my registry etc

RegSeeker - to clean the registry

winzip - for unzipping zip files

winrar - for unzipping rar and zip files

CamUnzip - an easy to use free zip/unzip utility

PowerArchiver2001 - Old freeware version, doesn't nag me and handles more formats than winzip

bho captor/demon - for accessing browser helper objects

properties plus - alter properties of files.

UBD ultimate boot disk - for booting/installing/repairing pc

sisoft sandra - benchmarking and system info tool

Aida32 - system information (now obsolete but still useful)

Everest - system information (Aida replacement)

DriverGenius - backs up system drivers

Roxio Goback - for system restoration/revert. when you play with the things you just knew you shouldn't

Norton Ghost - for back up and saving my butt to many times to count

GoBack to erase my bad installations and tweaking

Acrobat Reader

PowerDesk = free Explorer replacement that also has a zip function.

TrayText = assign several key strokes to a macro.

Abby Fine Reader - OCR

Wintop - free - check what's REALLY running in the background

AZZ Cardfile - keeps notes in order

Windows Notepad

NoteTab Lite, a replacement for NotePad - free

Programmers File Editor, another NotePad replacement.

GVim - Text Editor

Open Office. org - why pay for an office suite?

partition magic -- does magic things to partitions

XOSL - to manage your too-many-operating-systems-on-one-computer. Free

TurboBrowser Express - WAY better than windows explorer.

Solways' Clean System Directory utility

Diskeeper to do all my Defragging in record Time

Power Desk better than windows explorer

Graph Calc

TaskInfo2002 - Gives a nice linux style cpu usage history in the system tray (as well as other stuff).

INCTRL4 - For monitoring programme installs.

Atomic timesync - simple and has built in server for my network.

StartupCPL - Edit startup entries.

Cygwin - Linux/Unix tools on windows.

Spider - hidden files, cookies & temp internet files remover

Pushpin - locks windows on top

Freecell - the microsoft card game that has filled many a useless hour while waiting for downloads

Spider Solitaire - Another Microsoft card game that comes in handy while waiting for downloads to finish

Multimedia

zoomplayer - free dvd and video player

quicktime - for mov movies

realplayer - much hated but needed to play realmedia files

EAC (exact audio copy) - for converting cd's to mp3

cdex - open source cd to mp3 coverter

ogg vorbis - open source mp3 codec

smart ripper - dvd ripper

easydivx - good easy starting point for converting dvd to divx

divx - popular codex for avi movies

tvtool - to enable tv out so you can watch dvd/video from pc to tv

riva tuner - nvida video card tweaker

dvdgenie - reset zone control software

dbpoweramp - handy for converting mp3's and displaying mp3 info in explorer.

DVD Genie

RealOne Player

Nero and CD Creator for file backups

CloneCD - CD duplication

PrimoCD Plus - CD Burning software

Real Encoder 5.1, converts live/streaming audio/video to Real Media, .rm files.

EAX - Sound Blaster Enchancer

Music Match - MP3 player

Winamp for music playback

foobar2000 for music playback

E & O E

Original thread available from here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22868&message=67363&q=faq+666).

-FAQ-
25-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Please mention other programs that ought to be on this list and also point out any that should no longer be on the list.

beama
25-10-2004, 09:22 AM
PowerArchiver (freeware, no nag screen) was freeware. freeware versions are still available at http://www.oldversion.com the last freeeware version 2000

mark c
25-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I haven't got anything that isn't in the above list except for Arachnophilia, an HTML editor. You can still write as much code as you like but the program will highlight your bugs. Very handy. :D

Been touting it for years. It's 'careware' where the creator says you can use it and the price is to be nice to someone. :^O.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 11:06 AM
what about gmail notifier, it checks your gmail account withut opening your browser, very handy found here http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper,

Pete O\'Neil
25-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Why is EAX in there? I thought EAX was a API like Direct X is to video EAX is to audio. Its not a peice of software, it might have a software front end, but its not software.

Also could you add XVID, Ogg vorbis isnt a codec its a format. The gordian knot codec pack is favourite of mine, includes all the popular codecs for viewing movies in one simple .exe, im yet to find a movie that cant be viewed when this is installed. Possibly add LAME (popular MP3 codec). ATi Tool is very handy for overclocking ATI video cards, and for checking pipelines, memory interface and core/memory clock speeds. What about Alcohol 120% it simply one of the best cd writing software ever made. Tagscanner is a nice lil peice of software for working with MP3's it allows you to change filenames based on the IDV3 tags and vice versa, it can connect to the internet and search for track details etc.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 11:37 AM
> ATi Tool is very handy
> for overclocking ATI video cards, and for checking
> pipelines, memory interface and core/memory clock
> speeds.

cant you just use omega drivers for this??

Davesdad
25-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Why is Eudora listed as "THE BEST EMAIL PROGRAM"

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 12:35 PM
>Why is Eudora listed as "THE BEST EMAIL PROGRAM"

because it is ;-)

>refupdate - reference file updater tool for adaware

no longer required as its built into the new vers.

it would be a good idea to add xvid and lame. however codec packs can cause more trouble than they are worth so they are best left off.

alphazulusixeightniner
25-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Eudora isn't the best email program - it's the worst POS on the market.

- Un-standard icons, completely useless interface. You could spend a year just finding your way around the program. Where's the damned 'send' button?
- It costs money
- It's not easily configurable to make it do what you want
- No more than one email account per Eudora.
- Only one profile. Can't have two or three people using the program with different accounts.

Thunderbird beats it hand down. I want an edit of that line to say "THE WORST EVER EMAIL PROGRAM NEXT TO OUTLOOK EXPRESS"

barmypom
25-10-2004, 03:15 PM
That's quite an exhaustive list but no-one would be taking the time to try all that software (unless they have an awful lot of time on their hands).
What would be useful is a 'best-of-the-most-popular' list. Say listing the top one or two in each category - or perhaps rating all the above out of 10. Of course I suppose alot of the software is down to personal preference rather than their ability to do the job.

Not sure if I saw any bittorrent clients in the above list. I'd say bittorrent is rapdily becoming widespread, while the use of kazaa etc is dying somewhat.

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 03:21 PM
>Un-standard icons

????? how can you get un-standard/non-standard btw there are another set of icons if you don't like the stock ones.

>You could spend a year just finding your way around the program. Where's the damned 'send' button?

about an inch above where you type your email ie right in front of your nose.

> It's not easily configurable to make it do what you want

that depends on what your trying to do. the stock stuff is easy. the advanced optoins are tricky.

> It costs money

it has a free ver, an ad supportted ver as well as the paid ver.

thank goodness its still better than OE ;-)

Pete O\'Neil
25-10-2004, 03:27 PM
> > ATi Tool is very handy
> > for overclocking ATI video cards, and for checking
> > pipelines, memory interface and core/memory clock
> > speeds.
>
> cant you just use omega drivers for this??
Perhaps not everybody uses the omega drivers smart ass?

Bill P
25-10-2004, 03:57 PM
FlashGet and DAP free versions are really riddled with spyware. Leechget free version although not allowing more than 8 downloads at a time, is spy/adaware free.

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 04:08 PM
>FlashGet and DAP free versions are really riddled with spyware

not quite riddled. lastest flashget has got rid of the cydoor spyware and does the ads in house(old flashget it was easy to defeat the cydoor). no idea if it tracks usage or not. DAP has always been debateable, some say yes, some say no. neither have any serious malicious spyware/malware.

getright is an oldy but a goody. non-spyware but has a reminder to register (annoying).

KatiMike
25-10-2004, 04:30 PM
couple of ideas - would it be an idea to seperate the windows and linux apps? Other apps that may be worth mentioning context magic (http://www.contextmagic.com/) , Belarc advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) , mrublaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html) and for win 98se GEODisk2 (http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm) . Looks like being a great FAQ

Bill P
25-10-2004, 04:31 PM
After looking I'd add DVD Shrink, and DVD decryter both free for backing up you legal DVD's. Shareraza as a spyware free file sharing program, that beats WinMx and as opposed to Kazzalite intergrates easily with service pack 2 and is easier for a novice to use than DC ++. Alcohol 120 combined with clony and alcoholer is a better CD duplicating program than clone CD but needs to be purchased. DB power amp is the best converting app, but the free version contains spyware.

tweak\'e
25-10-2004, 04:53 PM
> DB power amp is the best converting app, but the free version contains spyware.

thats odd. i've never come across spyware with any dbpower amp progs however i havn't tried the latest vers. on the dbpoweramp site they say spyware free but a few download site feedback say it does.

has anyone here tested it for sure ?

Prescott
25-10-2004, 05:02 PM
> > > ATi Tool is very handy
> > > for overclocking ATI video cards, and for
> checking
> > > pipelines, memory interface and core/memory
> clock
> > > speeds.
> >
> > cant you just use omega drivers for this??
> Perhaps not everybody uses the omega drivers smart
> ass?
>

wow! settle down now, the ati tool can only be used for ati cards, but the omega drivers package can be used on both nvidia and ati cars

-FAQ-
25-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Some great suggestions here, keep them coming. :-)

Don't forget that these programs have to be favourites amongst at least a few people here, ie the tried and true, so what may be a favourite for some is bound to be the bane of someone else. Eudora is obviously a good example. ;-)

> couple of ideas - would it be an idea to seperate the windows and linux apps?

Sure can, but you will have to point out which ones are the Linux apps. ;-)

> Eudora isn't the best email program - it's the worst POS on the market.

I can't let this one go...

I am surprised at you, alpha, you are normally more clued up than that. From your comments it is obvious that you have not really spent much time with Eudora otherwise you would know that most, if not all of your comments are completely invalid.

> - Un-standard icons, completely useless interface.

It is rather unfancy compared to OE and Thunderbird but it is highly functional once you have customised it to your requirements.

> You could spend a year just finding your way around the program.

It took me about a week, that's all.

> Where's the damned 'send' button?

It is called "Queue", not send, and is in the new message window toolbar rather than on the general toolbar.

> - It costs money

False. You can choose Lite (no ads but restricted features), Sponsored Mode (with adverts) or Paid mode, which you pay for.

> - It's not easily configurable to make it do what you want

Rubbish. It is so!! You just haven't explored enough.

> - No more than one email account per Eudora.

Again, that is false. I have ten email accounts set up in mine. They are called "Personalities" rather than "accounts".

> - Only one profile. Can't have two or three people using the program with different accounts.

I am uncertain about this one as I have not needed it myself. Other people have their accounts set up in my Eudora so I am not the only user of it on this machine, and the same with the other computer.

> Thunderbird beats it hand down.

I have tried Thunderbird and missed features in it that Eudora can do so much better (can't remember what they are now) but apart from that I do agree that Thunderbird is nice and would be my second choice of email client.

> I want an edit of that line to say "THE WORST EVER EMAIL PROGRAM NEXT TO OUTLOOK EXPRESS"

Go wash your mouth out !!! :O

Eudora has been my email client for two or three years now and as I liked it so much I paid for it a year ago. Eudora rocks! B-)

There, I feel better now.:-)

-FAQ-
25-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that please could you say what the programs are for if you have more suggestions. Just a little description like in the main list will do.

Ta. :-)

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I may as well do one or two Linux apps:

K3b - Nero Clone

XMMS - Music playback (WinAmp 2.x Clone)

Gaim - Multi-Protocol IM Client

Firefox / Thunderbird - How can you beat these two for Internet Use?!!?

gkrellm2 - Monitor your PC's hardware etc

Half the above (Being Firefox, Thunderbird & Gaim) have Win32 ports also.

I agree that there should be one or two up the top of the list of "most commonly used" apps.

Chill.

alphazulusixeightniner
25-10-2004, 06:02 PM
:^O FAQ, you use whatever program you want, but it's not the best.

I just found using it to be a real dog. For example, everything layout/button wise is not similiar to other applications like Outlook/OE, Thunderbird etc. This means you have to re-learn where everything is and seeing it's not labelled well then it's even more difficult. You could probably spend a few days configuring it to how you want, but why should you have to. I mean if I can't figure out how to set up multiple email accounts in an hour (or ever), then what's the point when it takes only two mins with Thunderbird?

Also closed source email programs are a bit dodgy. How do you know it's not forwarding your mails off to the government so they can read what you're doing?? When you're sending your email off, it sends another one off at the same time but you don't know it. :p If I was the NSA I would pay companies like Eudora to install backdoors in their programs. What easier way to get information?

Thunderbirds are go!!

-FAQ-
25-10-2004, 10:09 PM
> FAQ, you use whatever program you want, but it's not the best.

I am sorry that you found Eudora to be a dog but horses for courses - I will carry on using whatever program suits me and you must do the same. Note that it wasn't actually me who said it was the best (though I do agree with that ;-)), my point was that you were stating false information that had to be corrected.

> Also closed source email programs are a bit dodgy. How do you know it's not forwarding your mails off to the government so they can read what you're doing?? When you're sending your email off, it sends another one off at the same time but you don't know it.

Well, you have a reputation for being paranoid :p but if the government wants to read my emails they will be bored silly very quickly. Well... half of the time anyway. :p :D

Darn it, I have hijacked my own FAQ now! :O

stu120404
25-10-2004, 10:18 PM
> Darn it, I have hijacked my own FAQ now!
> :O

LOL! Poor FAQ

I have to agree with alphazulusixeightniner & every one else who says Eudora is a pain.

stu120404
25-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Thunderbird is a LOT Better then Eudora Hands down!

-FAQ-
25-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Aw Stu, I thought you were my friend - you're supposed to back me up! :p :D