24-10-2004, 05:21 PM
In order to install Norton Ghost 9.0 I was forced to install .NET
Microsoft at it again. I have uninstalled Ghost. I wish to get rid of .NET
Would someone please tell me how to eradicate .NET

Many thanks,
Hopeless.

Chilling_Silence
24-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Firstly, it should just be in Add/Remove Programs.

Secondly, why do you want to remove it? There are more and more new programs that require the framework before they will run.
Its simply a programming language, like C#, Java, perl (And all can be incorporated into it), so unless you're really strapped for Hard Drive space, I'd really recommend you leave it

Chill.

mark c
24-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Have you tried Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel?

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious but you don't say what you've tried.

:D

FrankS
24-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Just had a long session with Microsoft over Network 1.1 SP1 not installing with Win XP Home SP2, ended up getting nowhere. Agree with Chilling Silence if hard drive space is not a problem leave well alone.

Hopeless
24-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks very much Chill and Mark C for your helpful contributions.

I should have said that I looked for it in Add/Remove Programs and did a search for .net, but it was not present in either place. My apologies for this omission.

I place some reliance on articles in PC World where Jon Jacobi in reviewing Ghost 9.0 in the October edition concluded that his complaint was that the installation required .net

But then I like to come to PressF1 for inspiration.

Looks like I have to live with this intrusion anyway.

Thanks again,
Hopeless.

Hopeless
24-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Your comments are noted FrankS. I don't have any problem with disk space but my system was running sweetly and I don't like installing programs that I don't require. My problem is that I don't really know what problems I do require.

Thanks for your help.
Hopeless.

Murray P
24-10-2004, 07:52 PM
> There are more and more new programs that require the framework before
> they will run. Its simply a programming language, like C#, Java, perl

Except that it is a proprietary language (/ set of development tools) unlike the others you mention (at least not quite like).

Why Ghost would hang it's hat on it is beyond me from a functionality point of view, it has nothing to do with it's imaging capabitlities, but they have decided to go down that track so you'll have to live with it or look elsewhere for disc imaging software.

Cheers Murray P

Hopeless
24-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Appreciated Murray P. I have got rid on Ghost 9.0 but seems I'm reluctantly stuck with Microsoft's .net I'm thinking of giving True Image from Acronis a go.

I guess it's another case of once Microsoft get you, you are permanently in their clutches. I have asked the question widely but no one seems to know how to get rid of .net. Even missing from Microsoft's Add/Remove Programs. Interesting.

Many thanks,
Hopeless.

Shortstop
24-10-2004, 09:09 PM
My OS is XP and .Net sits in my Add?\/Remove programmes

Hopeless
24-10-2004, 09:37 PM
I too run XP - Home Edition. I have checked again but .net is not in my Add/Remove list. Seeing the name starts with a period I would think it would be right at the top of the alphabetical list. I wonder if when I uninstalled Ghost it deleted .net too. That may explain why I can't find it in a search either. Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there. Being me I wouldn't be surprised. Talk about creating imaginary problems.

Thanks Shortstop,
Hopeless.

twelvevolts
24-10-2004, 11:06 PM
I know the .net service pack is a side question - but I couldn't download it using windows update as it repeatedly failed. When I downloaded it using a downloader instead, it installed no sweat. .net is required for my RSS viewer - I couldn't live without it!!

mark c
25-10-2004, 10:03 AM
> My problem is that I don't really know what problems I do require.

Have a look at pacs-portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm) that'll give a comprehensive list of programs that need to be in startup, don't need to be, and those that are a liability.
HTH :D

zqwerty
25-10-2004, 10:18 AM
On the Windows Update Site it says that once iNet has been installed it cannot be removed.