PDA

View Full Version : Install XP Pro on Toshiba Laptop

twelvevolts
23-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Well I decided to wipe XP Pro off my work Toshiba laptop and put Fedora on it - as you do. So now I go to reinstall XP Pro (but not from the original CD) using my own CD and serial number and tells me the number is wrong even though it works fine in my desktop. I tried the serial number that was on the laptop before and that didn't work either.

Installed Mandrake 10 now and that works fine but tried ME and that wouldn't install. Maybe the laptop just likes Linux and is refusing to revert to Windows.

What's the story??

drb1
24-10-2004, 10:40 AM
> Installed Mandrake 10 now and that works fine but
> tried ME and that wouldn't install. Maybe the laptop
> just likes Linux and is refusing to revert to
> Windows.
>
> What's the story??

??????????????????

Prescott
24-10-2004, 11:21 AM
So now I go
> to reinstall XP Pro (but not from the original CD)
> using my own CD and serial number

are you using a legit win xp disk??

twelvevolts
24-10-2004, 02:25 PM
I am using a legit Windows XP Pro disks, one a "Students and Teachers" disk and the other a Corporate version. My ME disk is legit too and works on every other machine I've ever tried it on. The laptop runs Mandrake quite nicely and Fedora as well. So why won't it except a windows disk saying the code is not legitimate?

I appreciate I couldn't activate the students and teachers disk, but I can't even get to the point where you would activate it. Corporate disk doesn't need activation anyway.

Prescott
24-10-2004, 05:14 PM
strange, very strange

the highlander
24-10-2004, 06:38 PM
You got me me confused now

>"So now I go to reinstall XP Pro (but not from the original CD) using my own CD and serial number and tells me the number is wrong even though it works fine in my desktop. I tried the serial number that was on the laptop before and that didn't work either."<

>>"I appreciate I couldn't activate the students and teachers disk, but I can't even get to the point where you would activate it. Corporate disk doesn't need activation anyway. "<<

You cant install xp or you can't activate it ?

godfather
24-10-2004, 08:08 PM
I am even more confused.

We are talking about Windows XP here, the operating system?

How long has there been a "teachers and students" version of Windows XP?

Microsoft Office, yes there is such a version.

But Windows XP OS as "teachers and students"?
Or have I missed something important in life?

drb1
24-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Academic?

D.

twelvevolts
24-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Quite right it is "academic" - I was getting it confused with office. Anyway it doesn't work with my Corporate disk either or ME so don't get hung up on the type so much - it doesn't seem to work with any windows version full stop.

This has it's compensations though - the 3D line game in Mandrake can absorb several hours all by itself.

So any ideas before I take this back to work on Tuesday morning??

beama
24-10-2004, 10:28 PM
&gt;&gt;Anyway it doesn't work with my Corporate disk

What makes a Corporate install is the CD Key not the disk.

Did you uninstall xp or just do a partionless install of fedora which means you use a fedora boot disk to start up your machine, if this is true when you try and reinstall xp it is comparing the key used on a earlier install to the key you are trying to use now and if they don't match you get the situation you are now in.
Format and reinstall.
Also if you are using black listed cd key Bill is gonna know (well not really but product activation maybe difficult)

twelvevolts
25-10-2004, 11:21 AM
I have tried the key that was on the laptop when I uninstalled windows, so that is not the answer. If it is true that all disks are the same (and I've read on the net that this is not the case) then the key that was on the laptop before I started should work.

Now I know some machines such as Gateways will only allow a Gateway version of the operating system to load. So I'm starting to think that Toshiba must do the same thing, so I hope someone at work has the original cd.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 11:45 AM
>
> Now I know some machines such as Gateways will only
> allow a Gateway version of the operating system to
> load. So I'm starting to think that Toshiba must do
> the same thing, so I hope someone at work has the
> original cd.

if that is the case, what about the possiblilty of flashing the bios with a new version that doesnt have the toshiba "os lock" any thoughts....

beama
25-10-2004, 03:33 PM
&gt; Now I know some machines such as Gateways will only
&gt; allow a Gateway version of the operating system to
&gt; load. So I'm starting to think that Toshiba must do
&gt; the same thing, so I hope someone at work has the
&gt; original cd.

Nope, at least the ones I work with, is this laptop purchased under MOE scheme for Teachers with the MOE software image

pulling hair out
25-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi Twelvevolts.
I've got a Toshiba laptop as well, got it in March and has WinXP Pro on it.
However, it only came with a Recovery CD-Rom Set containing 3 disks.

? yours may have the same set-up. Its supposed to return the laptop to the same state as when I bought it, but won't find out until I install SP2 as I'll be doing a reformat without adding any extras to XP SP1. Hopefully the SP2 install will have more chance of being successful.

Here's a few contacts if you need any more help:
Toshiba NZ Toll Free: 0800-441-615 Contact Service.
Contact Service Centre: 0800-445-439 NZ.
Toshiba [Aust + NZ] site: www.isd.toshiba.com.au for online support.
You'll be able to download all the drivers from this aussi site that you will need if you reformat.

Good luck.

twelvevolts
25-10-2004, 08:11 PM
I nuked the hard drive again and reinstalled XP pro no trouble whatsoever. Strange but true.

wintertide
25-10-2004, 08:15 PM
If it's an OEM version of XP, then you need to find an OEM version of the CD. From Win2000 onwards, they locked the CDs to the particular keys although if you have a blank CD you can burn off your own copy of whatever version of XP you like - retail, OEM or corporate.

the highlander
25-10-2004, 08:18 PM
> I nuked the hard drive again and reinstalled XP pro no trouble whatsoever. Strange but true. <

We're Talking computers here -- Strange is a way of life.

Prescott
25-10-2004, 08:20 PM
> If it's an OEM version of XP, then you need to find
> an OEM version of the CD. From Win2000 onwards, they
> locked the CDs to the particular keys although if you
> have a blank CD you can burn off your own copy of
> whatever version of XP you like - retail, OEM or
> corporate.

so i can make my xp home into a corporate edition, i dont think this is legit? or is it.......

the highlander
25-10-2004, 09:32 PM
>so i can make my xp home into a corporate edition, i dont think this is legit? or is it.......<
no you can't and if you could yes it would be illegal

Prescott
25-10-2004, 09:36 PM
so what on earth is this fella suggesting then? there are plenty more ways on doing what you are trying to do wintertide, but lets not go into that.......