PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard gets stuck in Windows XP Pro

kisan
21-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Sometimes while I am using the computer the keyboard suddenly stops working. None of the lights work (Caps lock, Numlock) and there is no beeping sound or anything when I press the keys. There is nothing wrong with the connection between the computer and the keyboard (i.e. the jack is not loose). Strange thing is the mouse works just fine. And windows acts normally other than the keyboard not working.

I use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse on Windows XP Professional. I haven't installed SP2 yet. Might this be the problem?

The problem goes away if I log off and then log on or if I reboot the computer. Anybody have any ideas?

Rob99
21-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Dont know if this will do anything but worth a crack.
Swap the mouse and the keyboard over to see if the mouse stops working.

kisan
22-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I just discovered that the remote assistance was ticked on and have a feeling that someone may have taken over the system. I have now switched on the firewall and switched off the remote assistance. Let's see what happens.

R2x1
22-10-2004, 05:07 PM
> Dont know if this will do anything but worth a crack.
>Swap the mouse and the keyboard over to see if the mouse stops working.

This is not a good idea - the keyboard tore my mouse mat to shreds, and it's hard to slide around as well

Rob99
22-10-2004, 07:11 PM
I tryed turning my mouse into the keyboard, no problems except only three letters in the alphebet, had to swap back or my reply would have looked like this:
a bcab cabcabc acbacb c bac bcac bac bcacbbbacc bcacb cbacascb acbc cabc acb acb acb acacaca acbac cacacac

Note I edited that as there is no space bar on the mouse either.