PDA

View Full Version : Missing drive letter

Owain Glyndwr
21-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Shwmai.

I had a slave HDD fitted, but the drive letter didn't show up in Eplorer for a while. Somehow (the builder doesn't know how!), and after some time, the letter turned up.

I have since found that the letter for my Iomega Zip-100 external, which has been present on my m/c for a couple of years, has disappeared from Explorer. The only way I can communicate with the drive, for saving, is by way of the shortcut I put on the Send To menu.

To access the files on the disk, I have to go via My Comp. > Manage > Storage > Disk Management > R. click on Zip-100 (B) > Open: The list of files shows up, with the header showing "B:"

The drive is listed in PowerDesk's Options > Preferences > Drives, and is listed in the Shown Drives on the same tab.

The drive is listed in Device Manager.

I have downloaded the latest driver from Iomega and reinstalled the drive.

I have reassigned to B, to K to L, and back to B.

I'm out of ideas; I'll try the experts among you now. Thanks for any efforts.

OG

drb1
21-10-2004, 05:10 PM
which O/S

zqwerty
21-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Have you got TweakUI installed on your computer? Or for that matter any User Interface manipulator like FreshUI or Xteq Systems Xsetup.

Owain Glyndwr
21-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Yes, I do, Qwerty.

Owain Glyndwr
21-10-2004, 07:26 PM
XP Home, drb1.

Owain Glyndwr
21-10-2004, 07:29 PM
ie, TweakUI, zqwerty

FrankS
21-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Have same setup. Do you have IomegaWare 4.0.2? It is available from

http://www.download.com/IomegaWare/3000-2122-10200788.html

Puzzled why you want to use B, have mine on G. You say you are running XP Home, when I click on My Computer I get a list of drives with the Iomega (G) under "Devices with removeable storage", right click, click Open or Explore for list of files

Owain Glyndwr
22-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks, FrankS.

I have IomegaWare 4.0.2.7. I'm obliged to you for supplying that URL, as I have been unable to reach the Iomega Download page on my computer. I downloaded only 5.6MB to my Desktop, but the download size is 8.something, so it won't open. I'll do another download today.

What's so special about B:? It's only an unallocated drive letter. If it's in the list, it's available for allocation to any drive you want to give it to.

G: is also allocated to a removable media drive on my m/c, but is, and always has been, a phantom (inactive) drive letter. I might pluck up the courage to ignore Windows warning about 'programs might not work properly...' and delete it one day.

Meanwhile, I have managed to get the drive to show up renamed as Zip-100 as a folder in my new 120GB, NTFS H: drive in Explorer; so it's only an extra click away from normal. It's great to have it back. I set it up in Disk Management with a right click on the drive name > Change Drive Letter and Paths...

Owain Glyndwr
22-10-2004, 08:23 AM
P.S. FrankS. I was able to access my files in that round-about way, as in my original post on this topic:

To access the files on the disk, I have to go via My Comp. > Manage > Storage > Disk Management > R. click on Zip-100 (B) > Open: The list of files shows up, with the header showing "B:"

FrankS
22-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Owain, why I was puzzled about using B is that as a generalisation
A and B are used for permanently installed floppy drives
C main operating system drive
D CD-ROM drive
E Slave drive (?for storage)
F onwards for partitions of drives C and E plus external drives such as ZIP , camera etc
Remember when ZIP 100 first came out it took D and caused problems with programmes set to use CD-ROM in D
Re Disk Manager, do not have Manage in My Computer, my routine for Disk Manager is Start | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Computer Management | Storage | Disk Management | RC ZIP | open | shows file list
Inserting a ZIP disc results automatically in a window (similar to a CD-ROM)
listing all the files. For this in Disk Management RC Zip | Properties | AutoPlay | Set as desired.
ZIP 100 getting a bit long in the tooth but has it's uses.

Graham L
22-10-2004, 01:37 PM
copy a:\*.* b: on a single floppy drive computer works. (Or at least, it used to ...):D B: is "really" a floppy. Not many people run out of drive letters, even if b: is excluded.

drb1
22-10-2004, 02:17 PM
>
> What's so special about B:? It's only an unallocated
> drive letter. If it's in the list, it's available for
> allocation to any drive you want to give it to.
>
Its a Windows default for a second floppy.

It's available, but using it can give odd errors if it's not a floppy/5 1/2 floppy.

D.

zqwerty
22-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Sorry,

I have been so slow to get back. If you open TweakUI, I am fairly sure that there is an option to show or not show the drives on your system, you should check that.

R2x1
22-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Bending a B . .hard drive to make it floppy can cause leeks

drb1
22-10-2004, 09:19 PM
> Bending a B . .hard drive to make it floppy can cause
> leeks

I didn't know you colud get "Leeks" out of hard drives, are they young and fresh?

D.

Owain Glyndwr
22-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi, FrankS.
Yes, I understand that B: used to be the 5 floppy, but since a mate of mine has his HDD partitioned to C and B without having experienced any problems, I thought my li'l ol' Zip-100 would cope, which has proved to be the case, so far. It makes a nice tidy configururation.

Different path, same result, FrankS, to see the files on the disk. Have you a programme called Winuscon, incidentally (Windows User Console)? It has an amazing galaxy of controls, all grouped into a console that can be minimised to the top of the screen, ready to be called up with a click. Going to Disk Management, for instance, is a breeze.

I use Zip to communicate between my two computers, since I have no need nor desire to network, and my no. 2 m/c has no burner.

OG

Owain Glyndwr
22-10-2004, 11:24 PM
zqwerty (nice easy name to type): Can't find TweakUI in Control Panel, so I can't have installed it yet; I'll hunt for it tomorrow.

TO ALL MY HELPERS: Thank you for your help on this topic; I appreciate it.

OG

Owain Glyndwr
22-10-2004, 11:33 PM
GrahamL: would you please explain the first sentence of your post.

As I replied to FrankS's post, labelling it B: made a nice, tidy configuration. (Emoticons won't show up, else I'd have put in a laughing one. I seem to have trouble with things going missing!)

OG

FrankS
23-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Owain, downloaded Winuscom, looks interesting.

R2x1
23-10-2004, 05:14 PM
>I didn't know you colud get "Leeks" out of hard drives, are they young and fresh?

Initially, but they grow out of it ;)