PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with emergency boot disk Win 95b

Randolf
21-10-2004, 09:05 AM
When testing, the screen prints up a few details re. drivers, then stops on "A:\>". The boot order in the BIOS is A,C. What am I doing wrong?

Peter H
21-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Nothing - that is what it does. It expects you to type in a command. If you want to carry on, something like C: then win if you want windows, or if the disc has CD drivers on D: for that drive.
Bye

Randolf
21-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Right......Thanks - I'd better swat up my DOS commands then! :8}

Terry Porritt
21-10-2004, 02:04 PM
As a first step it would be a really good idea to learn how to backup and to restore the registry in Win95.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132332/EN-US/

In Win98 there is a program called scanreg that can be run from dos to do the same job, but win95 is not so convenient.

Some of the basic dos commands that are really important include copy, rename, attribute.
Having a dos text editor is also a good idea for working with files.

Valerie
21-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Randolph - Here is a list of DOS commands:-

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02

Good luck

V...

Randolf
21-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for this. I run ERU on a regular basis, retaining the two most recent folders. I hope this creates adequate registry backup?

Terry Porritt
22-10-2004, 09:29 AM
I used to use ERU, it is a good method of backing up as it also includes other system files like system.ini and win.ini.

It is best to use a bootable floppy to put ERU on, ie a floppy that has had just the system transfered to by the command format a: /s

This gives about 1MB of free disk space for the backup files, whereas using an emergency startup disk created via windows only has about 500KB free space due to all the other files on the disk, and this limits the number of backup files.

Another utility in Win 95 is cfgback.exe which is in other\misc\cfgback folder on the install CD (or something like that).
This utility is run from windows and just saves the registry files, but you can save numerous successive copies.

Then as a last resort if your ERU disk develops a bad sector 0, copy the hidden system.da0 and user.da0 over system.dat and user.dat. The .da0 registry files are created each time windows is started successfully.
This is where the copy, ren, and attribute dos commands are used.

Randolf
22-10-2004, 01:12 PM
> It is best to use a bootable floppy to put ERU on, ie
> a floppy that has had just the system transfered to
> by the command format a: /s

Many thanks for your comments, which as a learner I am finding of great value. I don't fully understand the above though, could you please expand a little?

Peter H
22-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Boot from your floppy - remove it & and put another one in. At the A prompt type "format a: /s" without the " "
Bye

Terry Porritt
22-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Er, Peter, the original startup disk with format.com on it should be left in the floppy drive when issuing the format a: /s command, and then replace it with a blank floppy when it says so.

Otherwise the format command can't be made from the blank floppy :)

The startup disk made from windows contains lots of files, such as CDROM drivers.

To use ERU you need as much spare space as possible on the floppy to hold the backed up files, that why a bare bones boot disk is prefered.

Terry Porritt
22-10-2004, 03:58 PM
But let's start again :)

You can make a basic boot disk from within Windows by right clicking the A drive in My Computer and then select Copy System Files Only. This does the same as the format a: /s command, you have to put a floppy in the drive though.
Then on the floppy is placed command.com and IO.sys and MSDOS.sys, but the last two files are "hidden" you cant see them with a 'dir' command.

Oh yes, drvspace.bin is also put onto the floppy in case your hard drive is compressed. If it isnt then drvspace.bin can be deleted to make even more room on the floppy.

Then you copy the ERU files from the Win95 CD which are in \Other\Misc\Eru to the c:\Windows folder. Drag Eru.exe from \Windows to your desktop to create a shortcut.

Double click Eru.exe icon to copy the configuration files to your bootable disk.

I keep all such utility shortcuts in a utils folder and just have one shortcut icon to utils on the desktop, else my desktop would be full of utility icons.

The full startup up disk with various files is made from going to control panel-Add/Remove Programs-Startup Disk.

Peter H
22-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks Terry for the correction. Must confess that I have never done this myself, allthough always use the command on the C drive when doing a reinstall. My son tells me me that I don't need the S bit, but it works OK.
Bye

Randolf
23-10-2004, 11:31 AM
You wouldn't believe this but I have just had occasion to use the good advice above!

I foolishly opened an email with a .com extension. Thought that the .com was internet related, and did not realise it was a no-no executable type file. Must have loaded some ghastly worm as CSSRS.EXE kept trying to access the internet, and weird messages kept coming up on my email programme etc. etc.

AVG fully updated could not find it, neither could Spybot or Trojan remover. So I restored the registry from the last backup (18/10/04) and the problem seems to have gone away. :)

So a debt of gratitude for the help.

Has any one else struck this "nasty?" I see looking on the internet that Nortons doesn't detect what appears to be something similar, and it nibbles away at Nortons, ultimately destroying your system.

Thanks again.

Randolf
23-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Sorry - correction: CSRSS.EXE