PDA

View Full Version : Linux on CD with USB Key

POTUS
20-10-2004, 01:44 PM
I've got Mandrake Move 10 (download version) and Knoppix 3.4. I want to use either of these and save settings and/or files to USB key, prefaerrably automatically. How can I achieve this?

drb1
20-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Knoppix, can its written in there and on the site but not to well.

Move, you may need to get the full/paid for version, some of the d/load versiopns do not work with USB Key.

You will need to be a financial member to get at mandrake knoweledge base or have acess through a financiall member.

D.

Graham L
20-10-2004, 02:48 PM
I have done it with Knoppix to a floppy. That's documented on the CD. A problem could be that it might need to load a few modules before it can use the USB removable. It might not ... Try it. The pain comes in having to type in the command line at boot time. ;-)

drb1
20-10-2004, 03:04 PM
> I have done it with Knoppix to a floppy. That's
> documented on the CD. A problem could be that it
> might need to load a few modules before it can use
> the USB removable. It might not ... Try it. The
> pain comes in having to type in the command line at
> boot time. ;-)

With knoppix if you get it set right there is only 1 line to type at boot to use all the last saved setup inf with either floppy or usb.

I dont know if this part can be automated by rewiting the C/D but all the instructions are there for creating you own knoppix custom distro you just have to conform to the open source licence and post the code.

Logically you should be able to automate it to install on any machine that knoppix will install on, then look for the usb setting file on the stick.

D.

Graham L
20-10-2004, 03:11 PM
"only one line" ... :_| I'm lazy. As for rewriting the CD ... I'm even lazier. I've just played with Knoppix ... I use installed OSs.

Howver, I have found a real use for Knoppix: I had big problems getting X11 configured on a laptop. I ran Knoppix, saved the X Window config file to a floppy, and copied it to the RH HD. :D

drb1
20-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Graham,

Knoppix is really nice for the gui folk who like gui but arnt scared or phased by the shell.

There are many other tools available that can bo the same jobs.

There is development for knoppix on usb, but of course they run up against non USB Boot machines, this will change and usb knoppix has large potentiall for youth and students, as well as rescues.

D.

drb1
20-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Graham,

Have you seen/played with Cluster Knoppix, it has open mosix view and creates a promiscuios CPU cluster.

It is very popular in Drug reaserch. They can take over a couple of labs then surrender them at will and keep the data only on any one of the HDD in the network.

D.

Murray P
20-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Mepis (live CD) has has a gui USB keyring setup and access tool. Haven't used it, so can't give you any idea of how good it is. Check out http://www.mepis.org/

Cheers Murray P

JohnD
20-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I have just tried this on an old version of Knoppix:

1. Boot to Knoppix and hit CTRL ALT F1 to get to a root shell.

2. mkdir /mnt/USB

3. Plug in your pendrive and use "cdrecord -scanbus" to see which emulated SCSI device it comes up as.

4. In my case "mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/USB

5. Hit CTRL ALT F5 to get back to the GUI.

Hope that works?

Chilling_Silence
20-10-2004, 10:40 PM
> 4. In my case "mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/USB

You may want to append:
-o umask=000

Allows user r/w access :-)

Chill.

POTUS
21-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I managed to get it working in Knoppix, but I have to type a line of command at boot time. Of course, had it been a MS product it would have looked on my USB key at boot-up for the config file ;)

No luck with Mandrake Move yet, but I'm new to Linux....

drb1
21-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Potus,

Its a boot option, ther is allways some interaction for a boot "Option".

Once you get to know the system rewire the C/D and automate it.

Then publish the rewrite, unless some one allready has.

D.

JohnD
21-10-2004, 09:16 PM
I have just purchased the DSE version of Knoppix (much newer than the version I have). If you insert your USB pen drive before booting, an icon will appear in the KDE desktop giving full access to your data.