PDA

View Full Version : Give with One Hand Ect.



drb1
20-10-2004, 10:27 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19165

Murray P
20-10-2004, 10:49 AM
And the Registers Spin (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/microsoft_dualcore_love/) on the same subject.

Cheers Murray P

drb1
20-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Murray,

What has allways puzzeled me on this, is why the market allowed M/S and the others in tow, to charge extra licences fees per prossesor.

The S/w for multi prossesor machines all-ready had a premium before this "Extra" charge.

Multi prossesor machines are still only 1 complete machine. Fairly only needing 1 complete licence.

D.

Murray P
20-10-2004, 11:15 AM
> Multi prossesor machines are still only 1 complete
> machine. Fairly only needing 1 complete licence.
>
> D.

Not so when you consider mini's and mainframes that a lot of this software runs on. You could be feeding data to hundreds or thousands of people at terminals off the one (big) box with multiple cores/ and/or processors. Most of MS's software does not scale to that size so is not affected.

I'd be a bit scratchy if I had a (non-server) workstation or home machine that ran 2 CPU's or multi core chips and got whacked for extra fee's though, and that's where your more likely to see MS software running. So from that perspective, it's a good move from MS, good for normal users and good for MS because they want to move into the big time stuff and embarrassing the blokes in that space already gets them attention (if they were already there, you can bet they would not be doing this ;)

Cheers Murray P

drb1
20-10-2004, 11:39 AM
good for normal users and good for MS
> because they want to move into the big time stuff and
> embarrassing the blokes in that space already gets
> them attention (if they were already there, you can
> bet they would not be doing this ;)
>
> Cheers Murray P

Murray,

You not WRONG,

So many many people are under the GROSS MISCONCEPTION that the whole internet runs on M/S.

Main frames mostly have/used to have # user licences rather than pro#. like some prop S/W run on thin clients

Did I miss a period of change there.

D.

Murray P
20-10-2004, 11:42 AM
I think you'll find IBM et all charge per processor on mainframes, but it's a subject I'm not up on.

Cheers Murray P

drb1
20-10-2004, 12:21 PM
> I think you'll find IBM et all charge per processor
> on mainframes, but it's a subject I'm not up on.
>
> Cheers Murray P

Its appears to be what there doing but i missed that one, thats what happens when you spend to many years wandering and enjoying.

D.

Graham L
20-10-2004, 12:29 PM
The IBM hardware rental charges used to be roughly based on the amount of work you could get from the computer system. If you upgraded to a more powerful CPU, you paid more. If you got an extra CPU you paid more. If you ran an extra shift, you paid more. If you put in more memory modules you paid more. Some of the cost was the maintenance but there was a very definite attitude that the users would pay "per unit of work".

But I wouldn't want to pay per processor for Windows if I built a 1000 CPU cluster. That's why they use Linux. :D (Also because it works).

drb1
20-10-2004, 01:38 PM
>
> But I wouldn't want to pay per processor for Windows
> if I built a 1000 CPU cluster. That's why they use
> Linux. :D (Also because it works).
>

Graham,

M/S are trying to monopolise clustering like they have to all other sections of the it industry in the public view, promoting the there is only M/S lie.

Clustering came from NASA and RED hat with Beowulf. Clustering is FREE. open source Technology.

M/S should be banned from using clustering technology unless it is OPEN SOURCE we dont need our clusters SCREWED by M/S.

D.

~Patenting software is like patenting the text of a book. Neither is necessary to protect Intellectual Property~ (Unknown)

~ Like music, progress in software is dependent on the ideas that have gone before. The creative and innovative part is not the ideas themselves, necessarily, but the particular combinations that make up the whole. Patent the component ideas, and no one can write anything new.~ (Richard Stallman)

Graham L
20-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Well, DEC were clustering Vax boxes in the 1970s. :D Where do people get the idea that the only computers that have ever existed are called "PC"s?

drb1
20-10-2004, 01:46 PM
P.S.

M/S can even get the desktop Internet relationship down.

Immagine the mess they will make of clustering, starting with their totally unsecure networks.

Clustering does not need M/S.

We want the Technology to go forwards, not backwards!

Clustering put the Mars Rover ON Mars!

All without M/S!

D.

drb1
20-10-2004, 01:47 PM
> Well, DEC were clustering Vax boxes in the 1970s. :D
> Where do people get the idea that the only computers
> that have ever existed are called "PC"s?


From M/S

D.

metla
20-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Probally from the same place that they get the idea that all skid steer loaders are called bobcats,..Bugga,i had another half dozen examples but was distracted by work and i lost em.

Oh well.....have to go with just the one.

drb1
20-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Metla,

Skill, As in circular saw,
Ramset ,as in powder charge nail gun.
Xerox, as in coppier,

SAme as you distracted.

D.

Big John
20-10-2004, 02:35 PM
> M/S can even get the desktop Internet relationship

There you go again. Whinging about something or someone.

Give it a bloody rest mate. If you don't like Telecom or Microsoft then dont use there products but if you aren't using them then please shut up and stop the whinging about them.

drb1
20-10-2004, 02:39 PM
B.J.

If you have nothing constructive to add to an, on topic conversation.

F OFF.

D.

lagbort
20-10-2004, 03:14 PM
drb1 that was a constructive comment and one that is quite often heard on here, usually right before a harmless little thread balloons into a monstruous flame war.

i wish more people coud be like b.j on here

metla
20-10-2004, 03:31 PM
You mean jumping into a thread that is of no interest to him and badmouthing someone else for having a discussion?

What strange logic.......

R2x1
20-10-2004, 04:37 PM
>There you go again. Whinging about something or someone.

>Give it a bloody rest mate. If you don't like Telecom or Microsoft then dont use there
>products but if you aren't using them then please shut up and stop the whinging about them.

Is this your best shot?

Big John
20-10-2004, 08:04 PM
> >There you go again. Whinging about something or
> someone.
>
> >Give it a bloody rest mate. If you don't like
> Telecom or Microsoft then dont use there
> >products but if you aren't using them then please
> shut up and stop the whinging about them.
>
> Is this your best shot?

Not really. I could go down to drb1's level and imply real swear words but I got my point across. Some people in this group post things just so they can go and complain and whinge about big brother because they dont like the way they do things.

I had no complaint about the original post as it was informative but then the whinging started about how MS was the bad guy again. Again MS is not my favourite compnay either and I think they rip people off but hey thats life.

Go back and look at the posts from drb1 and nearly every one of them complains about something. This is a help forum not a place to ***** about everyone and anything they dont like.

No more posts on this topic for me as I have made my point. I hope others take it as well and dont post more garbage on this post because I will not respond.

Baldy
20-10-2004, 08:18 PM
I agree with BJ, drb1's posts are becoming mind dumbingly boring in the extreme

Secretly I bet he loves MS

metla
20-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Yep BJ you have made your point,whinged about a whinger,and thread crapped at the same time.

Legend,Give yourself a pat on the back.

Baldy
20-10-2004, 09:44 PM
In the words of Felicity Ferrit, I wonder if WTF and Metla are one in the same?

metla
20-10-2004, 09:46 PM
In the words of Metla

"I wonder if Baldy is a bit thick?"

drb1
20-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Baldy,

Could be because there aint much in the way of good on topics and any time there is on some F/W comes along and trys to turn it into a flame fest.

Intelligent posters are going else where because people can't debate without being sarcastic and unplesant.

M/S

As stated the marketing metheods and the activation deal in xp and the dumbing down of xp killed M/S for me, 2K is probably the best O/S they have ever made/will make it can teach you how to use it which a good o/s should . security non existent, office and IE security virus issues turn it into a pain, whitch is a shame.

The only way to fix nt or 9x is to throw it all out and start again because its built on qados.

Which is like building a house in a swamp without draining it first.

Got rust in my car.

It's ted.

Thats the bottom line.

D.

KatiMike
20-10-2004, 11:59 PM
BJ says "imply real swear words but I got my point across. "

KatiMike has absolutely no idea what that means , and meh I don't think I want to ... seems like a razz of some sort ...

alphazulusixeightniner
21-10-2004, 01:02 AM
> Yep BJ you have made your point,whinged about a whinger,and thread crapped at the same time.

> Legend,Give yourself a pat on the back.

:^O :^O :^O

> In the words of Felicity Ferrit, I wonder if WTF and Metla are one in the same?

:^O You know, I've often wondered that myself... but I don't think it's possible :^O

I myself have had enough of the Trademe, Microsoft and Telecom winge threads... Drb1 doesn't do anything about it but instead uses this forum to vent his frustrations. Channel that energy into something useful like a sport or something and lighten up a little please!

drb1
21-10-2004, 01:30 AM
PPPPllllaaaaayyyyy ssppppoooorrrrrrtttt
PPPPllllaaaaayyyyy ssppppoooorrrrrrtttt

Alpha

You make a good sheep

D.