PDA

View Full Version : System crash after Windows Update installation

camo
20-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi,

One of our workers performed a Windows Update on her system, and after the computer rebooted, it will no longer go into Windows.

It gets as far as the logon screen, but after you enter your username and password, the following message (or something similar, bear with me!!) appears:

"explorer.exe/entry point not found
procedure entry point SHCreate
THREAD REF could not be located
Dynamic links library SHC WAP1"

Any ideas?

drb1
20-10-2004, 10:05 AM
see if you can get it up in safe mode "F8" on boot , if you can using addmin P/W redo all the P/W and see if it will come up.normally.

Does this unit have a running system restore,

Also which version of Win is this? so others can possibly give nore help.

D.

camo
20-10-2004, 10:11 AM
It's Windows XP Pro, with System Restore enabled.

I think she has run Windows Update and installed SP2, against our recommedations!

P.S. What do you mean by P/W?

metla
20-10-2004, 10:17 AM
The only fix is to either use the command line to uninstall sp2 or to bung the cd in and reload ya os.

Futher instuctions will follow depending on your chosen course of action.

drb1
20-10-2004, 10:24 AM
P/W Pass word,

Listen to Metla.

D.

Murray P
20-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Try a system repair first which hopefully will remove the problematic parts of SP2. As Metla say's you'll need to boot with the Windows CD loaded and choose the repair option. Your options will be Manual or Automatic replacement of system files from the CD and i386 Windows folder (protected system files). Unfortunately, without having good knowledge of the command line you will not be able to replace all the SP2 files and revert back to the prior state, a reinstallation over the top should do the trick though.

I have found Snakefoot's (http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html) website an excellent resource for Install/Repair and command line. Good links to MS and other sites too.

Cheers Murray P