PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mouse annoyance

bob_doe_nz
18-10-2004, 10:22 PM
I have a microsoft brand optical scrollmouse and notice that every so often that the cursor goes haywire and moves all over the screen for about a second or two.

the mouse is a USB type.

I have had an optical PS/2 mouse which had the same problem a Dexxa Brand Optical Mouse.

My sys specs are as follows.

Athlon XP 2500
768 Ram DDR333
Gigabyte GA-7N 400pro 2 motherboard.
SB Live value soundcard.
300 Watt PSU

my guess is that the PSU may by the cause of the problem and my computer is running fine without the optical mouse plugged in.
Only with Optical mice does the problem occour

is it possible its drawing more current than the USB can provide?.

KatiMike
18-10-2004, 10:24 PM
it's fine with a roller / ball mouse ?

mikebartnz
18-10-2004, 10:50 PM
What surface are you using it on as that may be your problem. It is optical so an inconsistant surface will give wierd results.

Murray P
18-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Just to throw a few more in the mix for your consideration.

Have you tried the mouse in a different USB port. Is it a motherboard based USB port or an add in PCI card?

Is there some software that is kicking in an a scheduled basis that runs in the background, perhaps somethings you've got but don't think too much about?

Wouldn't think the PSU was at fault, you'd probably feel the effects elsewhere sooner or as well.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
18-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Another thought, I have a similar USB mouse (MS Intellimouse Explorer). Give the USB to PS2 adapter a whirl, plug it into the PS2 port and see if that solves your problem. Some manufacturers, for reasons that are beyond me, recommend you use the adapter if you have a PS2 port.

Cheers Murray P

FrankS
19-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Just to add to the pot have you updated to WIN XP SP2 and the software needs updating.

userhisplace
19-10-2004, 09:27 AM
I have the same problem on my work machine. The IT guy suggested using a serial connector instead of the USB but this did not help. It has them stumped as well.

bob_doe_nz
19-10-2004, 09:38 AM
My does computer runs XP w/SP2 and i have used ps/2 ball mice with no problems.

I havent tried using the ps/2 converter ill give it a try

cadifan
27-01-2005, 02:54 PM
My laptop w/ XPHome and SP2 and optical mouse does the same, but also when mouse is sitting still, no-one touching it, not moving at all, it lights up and the curor creeps along the screen. Stops as soon as I pull the USB plug.

MMM
27-01-2005, 03:09 PM
My Laptop does the same. Did it on my Belkin optical and the MS optical I'm using now. WinXP SP1.
It seems to do it when I'm in the middle of typing, esp. in MS Word. Doesn't do it at any other times.

I have a A4 loose leaf refill pad that i move it around on. Used to have one of those skinny mouse pads, but it made the mouse really erratic on that, so change to the pad instead. Works fine on my wooden desk but makes too much noise when it moves around.