PDA

View Full Version : SATA Hard Drive

jcr1
18-10-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm kinda thinking I should do an upgrade on my computer.
At present it is a Compaq Presario 3601 1.6 ghz intel with 384mb ram and 2 hdd's (20gb original & 30gb I added in).
Just wondering how practical it would be to upgrade to say 120gb SATA; then create 3 drives - a WinXP drive, then a mirror drive for backups. Plus a smaller (but not too smaller) Linux drive for me to play with. Would this be feasible?

Also, anyone know what max size processor would be compatible with machine with present mother board?

Murray P
18-10-2004, 12:12 PM
May as well stay with IDE cables, you'll not get any noticeable benefit from the cost of SATA.

Cheers Murray P

tweak\'e
18-10-2004, 12:22 PM
do you have any ide connections spare ?

if not you will need to add an ide or sata card to your pc, or use an external drive for doing your backups.

jcr1
18-10-2004, 01:02 PM
> May as well stay with IDE cables, you'll not get any noticeable benefit from the cost of SATA.

Thanks Murray, point taken and I guess there's the cost of a card to be taken into account too.

jcr1
18-10-2004, 01:41 PM
> do you have any ide connections spare ?

I believe I do, and, correct me if I'm wrong but I will need that spare ide connection, so that, if I'm to replace the present HDD's, I will need that connection so I can transfer the data on the old drives across to the new one.

One other thing, just looking at "Price Spy" I noticed that prices for 120gb harddrives ranged from $118 for a Maxtor 7200 rpm to something like $384 for an IBM 7200 (not SATA either). That's a big difference; I wonder if the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies in this case. The last hard drive I bought, a Maxtor 5400, was comparitively cheap, and it does the job, no problems (except for capacity and my personal drive to get something better).

Pete O\'Neil
18-10-2004, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't buy a IBM harddrive if someone payed me, they're notoriously unreliable. One of the cheaper Maxtor or Seagate drives will be fine.

PaulD
18-10-2004, 03:08 PM
It was the IBM 75GXP and 60GXP that got the "Deathstar" Name. Now any Deskstar that isn't branded Hitachi would be old stock at an old price.
When there's a big difference in prices on Pricespy it's usually some retailer that can't be bothered to update prices.