PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor questions



GraemeP
16-10-2004, 05:51 PM
PriceSpy lists a big range of prices for LCD monitors.
17 inch (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_5.html#g87)
Are any of these sellers "questionable". e.g. Is PC Mart ok
PC Mart (http://www.pcmart.co.nz/catalog/index.php?cPath=6&sort=2a&page=1)

Why does the 17 inch CMV CT722 sell for around $450 at some of these internet sellers but up to $700 at others including DickSmith.

What is the difference between a 19 inch monitor with .29 pixel pitch and 1280 by 1024 max res and a 17 inch with .26 pixel pitch and same max resolution?

My PC has an Intel motherboard with integrated graphics and no separate graphics card - I think it has an AGP slot though. How would I tell if I need to buy a graphics card to use a particular monitor? What is DVI?

Any recommendations for a 17-19 inch LCD monitor, not for games, but need clear text and preferably nice colours.

Thanks for any information.

Graeme

godfather
16-10-2004, 06:17 PM
> Why does the 17 inch CMV CT722 sell for around $450
> at some of these internet sellers but up to $700 at
> others including DickSmith.

Thats the "cost" of holding stock probably. When the price tumbles, the retailer cannot easily pass it on. Then people complain when the retailer carries no stock. Its a no win situation.

> What is the difference between a 19 inch monitor with
> .29 pixel pitch and 1280 by 1024 max res and a 17
> inch with .26 pixel pitch and same max resolution?

Obviously the screen is larger.

On an LCD 1 pixel on the screen is one pixel displayed, unlike the analogue CRT screens when its "as fast as the beam can turn on and off". Very indistinct.
Hence LCD is usually much sharper. But the resolution is unchanged.
To go much higher in resolution can make some characters/icons etc very small. Sharp, but too small.

> My PC has an Intel motherboard with integrated
> graphics and no separate graphics card - I think it
> has an AGP slot though. How would I tell if I need
> to buy a graphics card to use a particular monitor?
> What is DVI?

No, those monitors will work but not with a DVI interface. They should have both, so you just use VGA.

With VGA, the signal is converted from digital to analogue in the video adapter, then back to digital in the monitor. With DVI its digital all the way, and therefore sharper. I use DVI and VGA (2 LCD's on the one PC)
>
> Any recommendations for a 17-19 inch LCD monitor, not
> for games, but need clear text and preferably nice
> colours.

My advice is to go somehere to look at them operating side by side. Harvey Norman etc. You make an informed choice that way.

You need to look for a zero bright pixel guarantee. A failed bright pixel could be annoying to say the least, and most cheap screens will make you put up with several before they are considered "faulty". That can be another reason for price differences with some brands. CMV only have a 30 day zero pixel warranty at the base level price I think.

And finally, you need to use the site search facility. This has been well covered in the past.

Murray P
16-10-2004, 06:33 PM
You need to be careful buying LCD screens. Like most monitors any one range will have categories within it; consumer, commercial/business and professional with quality and warrantee increasing as you rise up the category along with price. Price variations between the same model/cat from different sellers may suggest that the lower cost is due to parallel import which may prove frustrating if it needs to be returned due to a fault.

The 19 inch has a larger viewing area.

Your board should be fine to run an LCD monitor. DVI is a digital signal rather than the analogue type of signal that most CRT monitors use, DVI in the specs usually refers to the graphics connection (where the monitor cable connects to the card or onboard graphics). All LCD's use digital natively, graphics cards convert from digital to analogue to the output which is then converted back to digital by the LCD monitor so it can use it. However, most newer graphics cards come with DVI output/connectors now so, the tooing and froing doesn't need to happen. Some LCD's come with either connection method, some with just DVI and some with just analogue. Either way a converter cable can be used if your setup does not match that of your choice of monitor.

If you want good text, go for a business category monitor, if the colours are needed just for home photo editing and such like this should be fine. If it's professional graphics your into use a professional LCD or stick to a good CRT monitor which are superior in this regard to LCD's as they are for gaming as well.

With a business category, you should get a better warrantee, check the stuck/dead pixel policy. The Philips B series has a no dead/stuck pixel guarantee.

Hope that helps.

Murray P

Murray P
16-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Going to have to get my WPM up to speed.

Cheers Murray P

alphazulusixeightniner
16-10-2004, 07:01 PM
If you want to read through this thread (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15621), you'll see that most people have found out the quality of VGA isn't too much different from DVI.

GraemeP
16-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the information.

After reading all that thread I found the Philips 190S5FB mentioned here
ascent monitors (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Monitors) was liked.
It doesn't have a zero bright pixels guarantee like e.g. the 170B5CG but has a better contrast ratio 500:1 versus 450:1 and the 170B5CG has both VGA and DVI versus the 190 VGA only.

Has anyone experienced a stuck bright pixel and can say how annoying it is?

Just to check - a 19 inch screen at 1280 by 1024 pixels would show the same amount of info as 17 inch at the same res but everything looks bigger so is more readable - is that right?

I mentioned colours just because I recently got a 17 inch LCD at work and the screen space is great but the colours aren't as vibrant as the CRT I had before. From what I could find, the better contrast ratio of the 190 should mean it has slightly better looking colours.

Graeme

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-10-2004, 09:35 AM
I have three dead pixels on my LCD since day one of starting it up, which is unheard of before for CMV's. I still HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them. They are planning on slashing prices to become world number one seller, thats why theyre cheap. However, of the many families who I know own a CMV LCD, none have a single dead pixel. It was my fault though, I brought it overseas...... Didn't test it before I left to come back. Might have even developed whilst being shaken around maybe. Manufacture offered us warranty if we ever took it back, however, to your question, I do not ever take notice of the dead pixels. They are almost non-existent. You can't really see it unless you have a screen of black colour, which I believe, not many would. So I haven't bothered with getting a replacement.

Otherwise a superb monitor, highly recommended

Murray P
17-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Apparently the stuck pixels can be more annoying, ie; stuck on red, blue or green. It also depend on where they are on the screen. If they're right where you do most of your viewing/work they'll be more noticeable than off to the side somewhere.

As suggested, check out the monitor first, which means the safest option is to buy locally.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
17-10-2004, 11:38 AM
I have one of these Monitors and i find it really good, i would recomend this product, and brand.

had no probs with it at all.

only probs would be operator ones anyway.

beetle

alphazulusixeightniner
17-10-2004, 12:17 PM
If you have a faulty pixel on delivery then you have every right to return it for one not faulty. They can't sell faulty stuff to you so if you complain then you can get a new one. Once it's past a week or something you're really in the waranty period.

I'm wondering if CMV is actually a rebranding of something else (http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=1855&p=9). Looks like there are only 5 manufacturers and the rest are rebrandings.

GraemeP
17-10-2004, 01:35 PM
> I have one of these Monitors and i find it really
> good, i would recomend this product, and brand.
>
> had no probs with it at all.
>
> only probs would be operator ones anyway.
>
> beetle

Do you mean the CMV CT722 ?

beetle
17-10-2004, 01:44 PM
yeah sorry i have a CMV CT-722a LCD monitor.

not feeling very with it today and forgot to say which one.


i find it great. no probs, and the space i save is good to.

beetle

GraemeP
17-10-2004, 01:50 PM
>
> I'm wondering if CMV is actually a
> rebranding of something else (http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=
> 855&p=9). Looks
> like there are only 5 manufacturers and the rest are
> rebrandings.

Thanks for that. They strongly recommend DVI in that article. The stuck red pixel they show there would be pretty annoying.

Graeme

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-10-2004, 04:09 PM
> If you have a faulty pixel on delivery then you have
> every right to return it for one not faulty. They
> can't sell faulty stuff to you so if you complain
> then you can get a new one. Once it's past a week or
> something you're really in the waranty period.
>
> I'm wondering if CMV is actually a
> rebranding of something else (http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=
> 855&p=9). Looks
> like there are only 5 manufacturers and the rest are
> rebrandings.

Yea, as I said, it was my fault. I couldn't be bothered returning it overseas, as I personally didnt mind the dead pixels.

CMV is a manufacture of it self, I'm 100% sure. They are set on tiny city in taiwan, full name is Chi Mei Corporation. PolyView is a rebranding of CMV though. They entered the market pretty late, despite the high costs. Their biggest shareholder being the richest (or one of) in Taiwan. Same guy as the one who operated the company that later became the world's biggest maker of ABS plastic. Under his direction of manufacting many other goods, not only with plastic and LCDS, was to slash prices to the bare minimum they could handle, hence gaining market shares, before increasing once again. They are in this process right now with LCD panels, hoping to take over Samsung in the next few (2 I think they said.. not sure) years as the world's biggest producer.

metla
17-10-2004, 04:53 PM
CMV as you say are a manufactruer but they are not cheap because they want to be number 1,the reality is that all manufacturers over produced and prices have fallen to reflect demand,CMV over produced by more then all the other manufacturers combined and are dumping stock worldwide and look to be on very shaky ground,their losses could amount to 100's of millions.If they can move enough stock they may reduce the predicted loss and not go bankrupt this year.....

Thats a long way from being number 1.....

GraemeP
17-10-2004, 05:33 PM
> CMV as you say are a manufactruer but they are not
> cheap because they want to be number 1,the reality is
> that all manufacturers over produced and prices have
> fallen to reflect demand,CMV over produced by more
> then all the other manufacturers combined and are
> dumping stock worldwide and look to be on very shaky
> ground,their losses could amount to 100's of
> millions.If they can move enough stock they may
> reduce the predicted loss and not go bankrupt this
> year.....
>
> Thats a long way from being number 1.....

Where did you get that information from?

There's no hint of imminent bankruptancy in this article
CHI MEI news (http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2004/08/16/2003199033)
and here it's claimed CHI MEI market share is 35%
LCD market share (http://www.dealerinfo.nl/2004/410/digiti.htm)

though I did find an article where the French govt was suing them for infinging LCD patents.
LCD patents (http://www.detnews.com/2003/technology/0305/22/technology-171537.htm)

No sign of bankruptancy here either
CHI MEI profit (http://www.etaiwannews.com/Business/2004/08/05/1091674253.htm)

Graeme

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-10-2004, 05:41 PM
> CMV as you say are a manufactruer but they are not
> cheap because they want to be number 1,the reality is
> that all manufacturers over produced and prices have
> fallen to reflect demand,CMV over produced by more
> then all the other manufacturers combined and are
> dumping stock worldwide and look to be on very shaky
> ground,their losses could amount to 100's of
> millions.If they can move enough stock they may
> reduce the predicted loss and not go bankrupt this
> year.....
>
> Thats a long way from being number 1.....

Ha! What a suprise! Metla posts straight after me yet again!

You come up with so much non-sense just to put me down. There is no way that the shareholders of CMV can go bankrupt. They are recording record profits!

And didn't you sell beetle a CMV? If what you said above is right, then no good PC seller would sell anything they believe is 'shaky'

Can I ask that you leave me alone instead of correcting every post I make? Go find other kids to hunt on...

metla
17-10-2004, 05:41 PM
The losses will be on next years fininacial report,Market share is meaningless without profit,other then that you expect to find real facts in a companies own propaganda?

Like i said,prices are plummiting due to oversupply,And CMV have a big big stockpile.

Wait 2.3 weeks and then buy an LCD,the last round of price cuts are due about then.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-10-2004, 05:46 PM
> Like i said,prices are plummiting due to
> oversupply,And CMV have a big big stockpile.

Wheres the evidence? Your saying it merely to correct me, right?

"No fact is any good without proof"

metla
17-10-2004, 05:50 PM
To be honest SY i take next to no notice of who posted what or when, However if you want to get personal then fine but don't expect me to play your game.

And wise up,Any company can make bad desisions and get into finiacial strife,Will they go under?...i doubt it they have big pockets and are in panic mode to minimise loss.

And pray tell,when did i say CMV made shakey products?,they make very good units and Beetles screen is covered by a 3 year single pixel policy,which would be honoured no matter what the fate of CMV.

And certainly you can ask that i do not post after you,Makes no difference to me what you ask,But be prepared to be corrected when you are niave and misinformed.

GraemeP
17-10-2004, 05:54 PM
> The losses will be on next years fininacial
> report,Market share is meaningless without
> profit,other then that you expect to find real facts
> in a companies own propaganda?
>
> Like i said,prices are plummiting due to
> oversupply,And CMV have a big big stockpile.
>
> Wait 2.3 weeks and then buy an LCD,the last round of
> price cuts are due about then.

CHI MEI third quarter profit was excellent and not one of the links I posted was company propaganda - this is a strong indication you don't have any hard facts to support your probably libellous claims.

If bankruptancy is imminent how come you know about it and CHI MEI shareholders don't?

Graeme

alphazulusixeightniner
17-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Graeme what are you wanting to use the LCD for again? Specific tasks?

GraemeP
17-10-2004, 06:07 PM
> Graeme what are you wanting to use the LCD for again?
> Specific tasks?

Developing software mainly. A 17 inch CRT isn't quite big enough when a third of the screen is taken up with toolbars, status bars, output windows etc. I need clear text and I have a preference for nice colours but I don't play games or do image editing etc. I also surf the internet a lot ...

Graeme

metla
17-10-2004, 06:25 PM
> CHI MEI third quarter profit was excellent and not
> one of the links I posted was company propaganda -
> this is a strong indication you don't have any hard
> facts to support your probably libellous claims.
>
> If bankruptancy is imminent how come you know about
> it and CHI MEI shareholders don't?
>
> Graeme

hmm...perhaps i did exagerate the bankrutcy angle for the sole reason that i was replying to Sy?....lmao.

Anyhow,the links you provided are based on market forcasts relased the companies themselves...They dont hold any water,And any article entilted Profits may Soar and is based on the words of a company spokeman just needs to be ignored.

And how long have you been a CMV shareholder?,seeing as you "know what they know or don't know"?...The logic is laughable.

Other then that,Its long been known within the industry that CMV were sitting on the largest stockpile of LCD screens in all of Asia and that if demand didnt pick up they would be forced to get rid of it cheap or write it off....as you can see by the massive price drop (nearly $200 on some items in 2 weeks) they have taken action.

AOC lcd's are rumeroured to be even cheaper then CMV quite soon.

GraemeP
17-10-2004, 07:01 PM
>
> hmm...perhaps i did exagerate the bankrutcy angle for
> the sole reason that i was replying to Sy?....lmao.

Exaggerate? You mean completely made up.

If you owned a computer business would you like someone to make up stories that it's in danger of going bankrupt?

How many people could have read this thread and been put off buying a CMV because of your dishonesty?

metla
17-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Heh?

Lmao.


Lets just give it a year and see what happens,meanwhile i shall speculate just as much as i like.