PDA

View Full Version : 2 or more TV tuners in a PC. Is it possible?

Jeff
16-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Was having a discussion with my fellow workers about the new combo HD and DVD recorders and we got round to wondering if it was possible to have more than one TV tuner card in a PC.

The idea being able to record more than one channel at a time.
Also if you had a 2 monitor setup, being able to watch two channels at the same time.

Would be interested if anyone has tried this or knows if it is possible.

Thanks Jeff.

metla
16-10-2004, 04:00 PM
The new media version of XP has suport for twin tv capture cards,you would however want to be capturing to two seperate harddrives to get useable results.

godfather
16-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Some TV's currently available have 2 tuners.

Those with PIP (Picture in Picture) have 2 tuners, one for each signal source.

Technically there is no reason that you cannot have multiple tuners.

drb1
16-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Metla,

Why 2 drives?

D.

metla
16-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Because when capturing video the audio and video streams need to be joined together(they are captured seperatly)if anything access the drive while the process is taking place it will cause them to be out of sync,if something really goes hard you will get large amounts of dropped frams,messed up images,corrupted audio......And this can just be caused by normal windows activity or an anti-virus program chugging over.

If you were trying to capture 2 completly seperate feeds(or 4 counting the audio and video as seperate) the reults would be terrible from start to finish.

Its recomended that even when capturing from one feed that it is done to a seperate drive,and it must be in perfect health and freshly defragmented.....

BootyLicious
16-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Metla you are wrong! i have had 2 tv tuner cards in my pc before, i can capture video from 1 card and do other stuff at the same time easy! (on the same hard drive.

Growly
16-10-2004, 06:47 PM
For any capture to work a minimum of a 7,200 RPM drive is recommended, and for the same reason any slowdown in such a drive could be disastrous.

alphazulusixeightniner
16-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Dual CPUs wouldn't hurt either if encoding the RAW image rather than just dumping it to either hard drive.

metla
16-10-2004, 08:22 PM
> Metla you are wrong! i have had 2 tv tuner cards in
> my pc before, i can capture video from 1 card and do
> other stuff at the same time easy! (on the same hard
> drive.

Thats nice,it doesnt make me wrong,but it does show how little you know.

The new version of Media XP is being touted as the first MS os with suport for twin TV cards,this is a fact,Thats not saying it cant be done on older software,this is just the first time MS have built specific suport for it into the OS.Get it?Should i cover it again? IS this any different from the first post i made in the thread?...It isn't is it,its just a fact that you obviously need people to go over and over the same issue untill you can understand it.

As for the capturing,The issues involved in capturing are well documented,The recommended set-up is well documented,Millions have been affected,I can sleep easy tonight knowing you got away with it but that still doesn't make me wrong.

Bear in mind that the quality of the capture has an impact,if your using a codec that uses strong compression at a realitvly low res then you maynot see the defects or corruption because its pig ugly to start with.Then we get onto the issue of blindness,people who can stare at 2 images and not see the obvious difference between them.....people who fall into this catagory are those that think the Xbox has great graphics and that vhs and DVD have similer quality.

Futhermore,The chipset and audio devices can play a large part in audio being out of sync with the picture,there are many many varibles right down to particuler cpu's,audio chipsets,motherboards and capture card.....If your works as you say then by pure luck you have a good combination.....That though does not change the recommended setup for capturing video.

Did you by the way run both tv cards at the same time?

metla
16-10-2004, 09:51 PM
I forgot to add the people that think Doom3 runs great on their ATI9200 into the above group....

drb1
17-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Metla,

I thought it would just need 2 partitions or folders

Thanks for the explanation..

Your definatly right about the multi tasking issues,

Is the media version specked for twin cpu also, I might have a play.

D.