PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost freeware alternatives?

bRaZZiN
16-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey does anyone know of any reasonable freeware or shareware (or possibly even cheap) software that clones harddrives? I want to transfer some data off one hdd to another - problem is I don't have acces to a copy (legal / illegal / otherwise - *ahem* not that I'd use it if it was illegal...) of Ghost to do it with. Both of my hard drives are seagates, both the same size (interestingly enough they aren't the same model) - so ghosting should be reasonably hassle-free.

Except I don't have ghost.

Hmm. Actually now I think of it, I also have a computer at my disposal (ie. a pentium 166) that has Win98 on it and I want to stick ME on it. Problem is I only have a full version - anyone know of any patches / ways that make it possible to install without first formatting the hard drive?

Any light shed on either of these matters would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Brian

drcspy
16-10-2004, 12:56 PM
some drive manufacturers supply drive copy software.......check the seagate site......

drcspy
16-10-2004, 12:59 PM
diskwizard says this "DiscWizard will now partition, format, and copy all your files from the old drive to the new one."

metla
16-10-2004, 01:20 PM
I have in the past used the free versions bundled with The Ultimat Boot cd,problem was it was slow,and the new drive had its formatting changed to exactly as the drive that was being replaced,....this was a problem as it was a 2 gig drive that was so full that i couldn't resize the partition..and the newly installed drive had to be taken off site,poped in another computer that had partition magic installed which promply locked off the portion of the drive with the data on it.

In other words.........AAAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHh......simple little job had far to many issues and consumed far too much of my time.......