PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Service Pack 2

garryh41
16-10-2004, 11:25 AM
After installing WIN XP Serice Pack 2 if I click on a hyperlink in an email message, which I know to be secure, I get an "operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer, contact you system administrator" message on my screen. I am the system administrator. It is my home computer and the only network it is on is the internet. Add to this the fact that I can no longer update some of my software programmes by clicking on "check for updates" links in the programme and I am becoming quite frustrated. Uninstalling the service pack makes no difference. I have checked all my security settings and found no obvious cause for it. I have even turned off the firewall and nothing changes. Any ideas on the problem would be much appreciated.

Spacemannz
16-10-2004, 11:34 AM
There are options in OE after u install SP2 for XP. Tools/options/security.. It might be one of these that stopped the links in email. The last I think.

Under download images. The prob youj're having with links not working in programs. can happen if u install / select another browser as the default browser.

I came across the same prob, until I changed IE back to the default browser.

bRaZZiN
16-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Hmm. I'd check that you account hasn't been changed from administrator to start with. I heard of the administrator account magically morphing into a user account happening to one of my friend's computers - but that doesn't quite sound like the problem.

I'd have a look in Outlook Express settings - there's some stupid options in there (such as "don't open attatchments that could possibly even in the most secure environment contain these darned fabled things called viruses" option) that can be unchecked.

I don't actually think that would solve your problem. But I need coffee.

garryh41
24-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had to revert to making IE my default browser