PDA

View Full Version : SIM card memory

Steve_L
16-10-2004, 12:08 PM
What is stored in a cellphone's SIM card? All Contacts (ph numbers and names), settings, etc.? Or is there individual cellphone data stored on Vodafone / Telecom computers? And are SIM cards used only by Vodaphone, id so, what do Telecom cellphones have?

Finally, are SIM cards similar to the chips found on credit cards or other 'smart cards'?

Thanks.

bRaZZiN
16-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Depending on your phone, you can store about 16 or 32kB of contacts or messages on your sim card - most phones these days (ie. newer than alcatel 311's) that can hold more than 20 txts will hold their messages on the phone itself. The contacts are stored on the SIM card - you'd be stuffed trying to put a contact in on no signal otherwise.

As far as the chip goes - I suppose they would be in some ways similar to those in phonecards etc... but of course totally different chips. I don't think a pay phone would be too happy about charging to a sim card :).

Prescott
16-10-2004, 12:55 PM
i looked under my battery just then and there was a slot for a RIM card?? i wonder what this is.... i got a nokia 2280

nomad
16-10-2004, 02:12 PM
depends on the phone. i had exp where text and contacts had been on the sim card. other times text were on the phone. u could also use the contacts on the phone as well as the simcard .....

i believe wap and internet settings, email clients etc are on the phone thou. cookies and the so ..

yingxuan
16-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Isn't rim card something like a Mmc card?

My sim card manage to hold 87 txt messages.