PDA

View Full Version : OT Astronomy Moon / Earth eclispe.

beetle
15-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Apparently in October the earth will eclispe the moon and turn it red,

on the url i have it says every one but australia will see it?
do you think that is only for oz or will we be able to see it if the night is clear?

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/13oct_lunareclipse.htm?list654311

anyone else no anything about this? is this correct?

would be interested as the last time this happened it was cloudy here and i saw nothing...:(

beetle

Billy T
15-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Bad news Beetle.

If you check the map on the website you linked, it misses NZ by a country mile.

At least the Aussies won't have it either.:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pulling hair out
15-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Total eclipse will be 4.06pm in Christchurch, give or take a couple of mins.

beetle
15-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Oh...........
didnt know, as i didnt get that far digging into the link, customers keep wanting my atention for some reason.....:p

where did you get that bit of info PHO?

maybe next time ill manage to see something?

beetle

pulling hair out
15-10-2004, 07:49 PM
From an ephemeris, and an astrology program set up for CHCH lat/longitude.
NZ is 12 hours ahead of GMT in normal time.
And is 13 hours ahead of GMT in Daylight savings time.

Terry Porritt
15-10-2004, 08:10 PM
>>>......... an astrology program set up for CHCH lat/longitude.

Fortune telling program?? :)

pulling hair out
15-10-2004, 08:34 PM
>>Fortune telling program??

No, Terry. Don't believe in those magazine horoscopes. They apply only to a person born at midday, in the middle of the zodiac sign.

If you know your correct birthtime, you are able to see times when it is beneficial, ie. best time to do things, when it is better to wait, and times when support from others will be there for you. It shows up areas you are weak in and where your strength is.

It does not predict lottery wins etc. I have learned more about myself and why I tend to react in certain situations, what to watch out for, and its been a really interesting experience.

There are those who fish or plant successfully according to the cycles of the Moon, and this seems to be accepted as normal. All of life is based on a cycle. Unfortunately astrology is still considered rather wacky.

Marg.

Terry Porritt
15-10-2004, 09:31 PM
So how come an astrology program predicts a total eclipse in Christchurch at 4.06pm when the science of astronomy and the map here (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2004Oct28/image/TLE2004Oct-Map1.GIF) says that there will be no eclipse visible anyway within thousands of miles of here ?:|

pulling hair out
15-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi Terry

The eclipse happens whether you see it or not. Fact.
A Lunar Eclipse is when the moon will be opposite the sun, the earth will be in the direct pathway between the 2. Fact.
Get over your hangups over astrology. Noone is asking you to believe in Astrology.

Marg.

Terry Porritt
15-10-2004, 10:28 PM
>The eclipse happens whether you see it or not. Fact.

But not in Christchurch, we have a problem with semantics here :)

Winston001
15-10-2004, 10:37 PM
The reason we won't see it is because it is the northern part of the Earths shadow doing the job. We are too far downunder this time. But we do get great astronomical viewing in NZ. Clear skies and far south.

R2x1
15-10-2004, 10:46 PM
There's a total eclipse here right now - the moon is totally invisble and so is the sun!

metla
15-10-2004, 10:51 PM
He: "On hot summer night, would you offer yout throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
She: "Will he offer me his mouth?"
He: "Yes."
She: "Will he offer me his teeth?"
She: "Will he offer me his jaws?"
She: "Will he offer me his hunger?"
She: "Again, will he offer me his hunger?
He: "YES!"
She: "And will he starve without me?"
He: "YES!"
She: "And does he love me?"
She: "Yes..."
He: "On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
She: "Yes."
He: "I bet you say that to all the boys!

pulling hair out
15-10-2004, 11:28 PM
>> There's a total eclipse here right now - the moon is totally invisble and so is the sun!

Yes, that is the remains of the partial Solar eclipse, which was exact in Christchurch on 14 October around 4pm.
The Moon is between the Sun and Earth in this instance.

Marg.

pulling hair out
15-10-2004, 11:34 PM
>>But not in Christchurch, we have a problem with semantics here

No, YOU have a problem, by being pedantic with your semantics ;\

Marg.

R2x1
15-10-2004, 11:38 PM
>Yes, that is the remains of the partial Solar eclipse, which was exact in Christchurch on 14 October >around 4pm.
>The Moon is between the Sun and Earth in this instance.

Oh - I thought it was just the clouds

Rob99
15-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Sorry but I must ask

>If you know your correct birthtime, you are able to see times when it is beneficial, ie. best time to do things, when it is better to wait

What time would I have to have been born to tell the missus she is getting a little fat around the bum.

R2x1
16-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Actually, that time has not yeyt arrived, and it is unlikely to occur until considerably after your spouse has become the "dear departed". If you try experiments along these lines you may become a "dear departed" a little ahead of schedule

Winston001
16-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Incidentally, has Metla shared yet his new and startling theory as to why it's dangerous to look at a eclipse? ;)

metla
16-10-2004, 11:23 PM
my what?

Winston001
16-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Don't you sleep?

You know - the theory that viewing an eclipse might cause a chap or chapess to feel the love that dare not speak its name. And I won't speak it either cos Bruce might be watching. ;)

beetle
17-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Next thing youll be telling me all about werewolves or something that comes out with the full moon?????

beetle

MrBeef
17-10-2004, 11:29 AM
AAAAAAROOOOOO!!!!!

drb1
17-10-2004, 11:34 AM
> AAAAAAROOOOOO!!!!!

Werewolves of London, werewolves of London again.

Warren Zevon .

Gone but not forgotten.

D.

theother1
17-10-2004, 11:45 AM
hey metla, where does that wolf thing come from? I kn ow it but I can't place it. It does sound very zevonish!
Rob

pulling hair out
17-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Rob99
>>What time would I have to have been born to tell the missus she is getting a little fat around the bum.

Astrology can't help you in that respect.
BUT, this little piece of humour may:

Q. Why are married women heavier than single women?
A. Single women come home, see what's in the fridge & go to bed. Married women come home, see what's in bed & go to the fridge.

This may also be more acceptable for your wife to read. ;\

Marg.

Pheonix
17-10-2004, 12:33 PM
theother1... try Meatloaf (as in the person, not the food)