PDA

View Full Version : mup.sys system halt!

Gimmee
15-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi all

Just wondering what peoples experiences are on this. From my nightmare killing 4 puters in one day i got the two old ones going then the original one that had been power spike all i could use was the case, hard drive, and CD-ROM. Rebuilt it and put in the hard drive and it hung at mup.sys. Found this excellent thread http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1047532372

Anyay I tried everything here to no avail. Spent 6 hours straight on it. running bare bones system, power supply was new, changed ram slots, ide drive cables, ide slots, all bios settings, flash bios, usb isssues, disabled mup.sys and others blah blah blah.

What worked for me. There was one message there from jerry, sat feburary 14 and he disabled the APIC mode in bios which allowed him to boot all the way to windows. My APIC was already disabled so I didn't try this. Eventually for some unknown reason I enabled it and set MPS version control for OS 1.4. Rebooted and it hung at mup.sys again. I did see a couple of flashes of hard drive activity on HD light. Gave up and reset it all continuing trying other fixes. That flashing hard drive light bugged me though so went back and enabled APIC again and when it hung and i saw some hard drive activity I walked away and forced myself not to push reset before time. After about 5 minutes it actually booted into windows safe mode where I could do a restore and everything was fine. Went back and disabled APIC in bios and that caused it to hang again. Reenabled and everything running fine.

So again we have another message that is a contradiction of a previous message and are no closer to finding the one stop solution to this problem.

Laters Gimmee :):)

Spacemannz
15-10-2004, 06:21 PM
This maybe the prob, if you've rebooted after installing XP SP2

CAUSE

This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:

Your computer uses an Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Celeron D processor

that is based on Prescott C-0 processor stepping.

Your computer has a BIOS version that is out of specification.

Note A BIOS version that is out of specification does not provide support for the processor that is installed on your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885626

Terry Porritt
15-10-2004, 10:02 PM
The poster Sean, seems to have this problem sussed out more or less.
Scroll down to see what he has to say in a few posts in the site you quote.

The important factor is that the system stops at mup.sys because it hangs trying to load drivers that come after mup.sys. The problem is nothing to do with mup.sys at all.

So many people have this problem with totally different hardware setups.

Here is another related posting which also refers to Sean's threads:
http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=729&page=2

If your BIOS has an option for forcing ESCD , the Extended System Configuration Data which contains IRQ, DMA, I/O port, and information specific to plug & play, then try enabling it.
This will reset the data to your current hardware.

Cordless mice have been known to cause this hanging, and swapping them to another port, or replacing with another kind has cured things.

Jaguar
15-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Happened to me a number of times actually. For me, the mup.sys halt happened because of faulty memory. Replaced it and we went fine. The mup.sys is very common and is interrelated with numerous other issues.