PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Issues - Toshiba Laptop

sloanie
15-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Hello;

I have a fairly old toshiba laptop, a 460CDT. I just formatted the hard drive to upgrade it from 95 to 98. So the formatting went alright, and now that I reboot it, it starts with an error:

Invalid system disk - remove and press any key to continue

This would be ok except the floppy drive isnt pluuged in and doesnt actually work. Also, I can't get to the BIOS in order to disable anything....so I'm kinda stuck.

Little Help?

Prescott
15-10-2004, 05:34 PM
does it have a cd drive so you could boot up with a start up disk on a cd, or maybe try and get ur hands on a used floppy drive and boot up with a floppy startup disk

sloanie
15-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Nah It doesnt seem to like booting off CD....Is there any alternative to a new Floppy drive?

Prescott
15-10-2004, 05:41 PM
> Nah It doesnt seem to like booting off CD....Is there
> any alternative to a new Floppy drive?

im wondering is it possible to open up the laptop and plug in a normal pc floppy drive and boot from there, even though the laptop wont be able to close?

sloanie
15-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Hmmm I wouldnt wanna try....I dont know how the power setup for laptops is but I wouldnt want to short it out:P

there was a partition on the drive, could that be part of the problem?

Billy T
15-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Well, the "no system disk" simply means that your HDD no longer has an OS on it so that sorts that out.

To load an OS you are going to need a floppy or bootable CD, assuming that your computer has a CD drive. If it doesn't you are pretty much going nowhere until you can get a floppy drive.

Getting into bios may be difficult. You could try pressing F1 or Esc during boot, or Google your model number.

You can't attach a normal floppy drive either.

Not wise to reformat without knowing how to reload your OS though, makes things tricky though not irretrievably so.

The partition was probably the CAB files to restore your old OS, but you won't get into those that easily either. You need a floppy drive for that.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

drcspy
15-10-2004, 05:57 PM
<<<<<<<<Not wise to reformat without knowing how to reload your OS though, >>>>>>>>>>

yep but very common, (0oh not to mention drivers..................)

Prescott
15-10-2004, 07:22 PM
> Well, the "no system disk" simply means that your HDD
> no longer has an OS on it so that sorts that out

i thought the system whould say "no operating system present" if there is nothing on the drive. i had this once with my old pc, but it was my fault because a put the IDE in backwards :8}

drcspy
15-10-2004, 07:27 PM
'non system disk' means either it's not had the partition set to 'active' and or it's not got the 'system files' on it so cant be booted