PDA

View Full Version : how do i increase my "d" drive partition in XP

popa
15-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi there, I've got windows xp home and when i installed it on my computer, i let windows partition my 80gb hard drive. It made my "D" drive 4.7gb's for the OS and the rest went to "C" drive. The problem i have is that i'm allways running out of space in the "D" drive and want to know if i can enlarge it to say 10gb. I have about 24gb free on the "C" drive. I only have the one 80gb hard drive installed in my computer which is a HP P4,2.2ghz, 512 mb ram. Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

drcspy
15-10-2004, 03:08 PM
you'd probably have to use partition magic or a very similar program to resize the partitions without damageing data.......there is another way.....you can use norton ghost.......make a ghost image of each partition......and save em to cd or dvd then wipe the drive of partitions using fdisk then rebuild some new partitions the size you want and re-ghost the image back onto each partition.............voilla you will have resized your partitions..........this's probabaly the cheapest option

Murray P
15-10-2004, 03:12 PM
While 4.7GB might be a wee bit light for XP it should be workable. Someone else, recently, mentioned that their primary system partition had been named as D: as well, seems a bit strange because the default is that windows will always name it's system drive or partition as C:. You could probably change that in Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management, if you wanted to.

Although it can be done, it's best not to be resizing partitions with data on, especially stuff you want to keep or need to boot from (your OS). You run the risk of trashing it.

Anyway, another thing you might like to try is to clean out your caches and junk files. Empty your Recycle Bin, making sure there is nothing you need in there, then, In My Computer, right click on the D: drive and click on Properties > Disk Cleanup button, make sure Downloaded files, Temporary Internet files and Temporary files have a tick next to them.

If you have an Indexing service like Find Fast (or Fast Find) running, turn it off in Start > Run, type; msconfig, in the window that pops up go to the Start Up tab and uncheck anything that looks like Find Fast and Office Startup.

Make sure all your data files are not on the same partition as windows, ie; Word, Exel, photo's etc. If you have any image album type programmes shift their storage folders off D: or move the whole programme (will require some work resetting links and pointers).

Another way would be to make emergency repair disks, back everything up (or image the drive), repartition and restore everything. A bit of work there too, more so if you don't have the software to do the job.

Cheers Murray P

popa
15-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replys. I've been moving all my photos, videos(i do a bit of video editing), and everything else thats not nailed down into the c drive and tried to keep the d drive just for the OS and the programes that i use (XP, premiere, photoshop, MSP, etc) and i've made sure that all programs use the c drive for saving work on, i still keep having to clean up the d drive all the time. Maybe a second hard drive and reinstall may be needed?. Thanks again, popa

Murray P
15-10-2004, 04:46 PM
If you install a 2nd drive, there is a way to do a parallel install of windows (works for win2k anyway). That way you could set up the new drive with, say, a 10GB partition, install a fresh copy of windows on to it and migrate all your settings, links, etc, to it before erradicating the old one. Or you could image it as suggested but, the software to do this reliably will need to be purchased, damn good way to backup and restore though.

Cheers Murray P

drcspy
15-10-2004, 04:55 PM
ype sure is............look on tradme for norton system works 2003 you'll be able to get it for less than $40 usually and it's got ghost .........very useful program

ManxMan
01-12-2005, 07:33 PM
1.Ghost is the only good solution. :thumbs:

2.Image a Copy of Drive to another partition.

3.Resize Drive Partition.

4.Ghost back original Image of Drive.

5.http://www.sofsol.co.nz/p0001645.htm#2399

http://www.ascent.co.nz/SoftwareCategory.aspx?catname=Utilities

6.Use BitTorrent to download a copy if you are feeling Cheap, but check for virus type things.

:badpc:

Jen
01-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I see you are new to this forum. Firstly, we do not support piracy so your option #6 is not appropriate. Please read the forum rules (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243). Secondly, if you check the date of this thread you will find you have replied to a thread a year old.