PDA

View Full Version : A few reasons for not being to paranoid

Vince
15-10-2004, 02:44 PM
There are people out there, on the web, who are better qualified than perhaps any of us, who carefully watch Bill and his like and what nefarious activities they are up to.

Some of these people are disaffected ex Microsoft software engineers.

Some are hackers. Steve Gibson of GRC,com for instance; brilliant people who think things should be done the right way.

There are lots of IT professionals with decades of experience.

Lawyers, some with a very good grasp of IT issues. These guys read every word of EULAs and spot every sneaky and underhanded trick that is tried and the mistakes. Microsoft patented a new variety of apple, the kind you eat, apparently by mistake!

Millions of ordinary people who publicise their unhappy experiences in magazines and on forums like this.

The rule is Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) not buyer be frightened.

It is reasonable to rely (not totally) on the general public watchfulness.

Be watchful, but :-) Don't worry be happy :-)

Vince

Graham L
15-10-2004, 02:52 PM
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you".

metla
15-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Thats all fine and well,The thing is if we want to use the software we still have to agree to any damn clause MS write into it no matter how invasive or just flat out wrong it is.

And eula does not make such actions "right" or acceptable.

Having said that there is always Linux........

Ms will be the authors of there own downfall,sooner the better,there just has to be an acceptable product to take its place on the desktop......And linux aint it,

Murray P
15-10-2004, 03:45 PM
> Be watchful, but Don't worry be happy

Good advice Vince.

Your definition of watchful could be someone else's definition or paranoia or, it could be viewed as reckless abandon of reason by others.

I think people should endeavour to seek a sense of equanimity, a common sense approach should be sought to bring it all into some sort of perspective, the fact that Bill has been spotted lurking under little kiddies beds and in their wardrobes, after lights out, should be put to one side for the moment and doesn't worry me in the least. And, I'm happy, see --> :D

Cheers Murray P

POTUS
15-10-2004, 04:23 PM
>there just has to be an acceptable product to take its place on the desktop......And linux aint it,

Having used both Macs and Amigas for ages I finally had to bite the bullet and go PC in about 1997. I didn't really have much choice in what platform to run on - Windows was it, really.

The reason I felt I had to move to PCs was simply that I was fed up going to computer stores that had limited offerings for my chosen system but a hugh range for PCs. If I wanted enormous choice of both software and hardware I had to have a PC compatable machine. A couple of years ago I bought a iMac, but I soon found that I still had no real range of software or hardware.

Linux will never become a mainstream OS until (if) software developers can give users the same amount of choice as Windows users have. Until then we're stuck with Windows - don't like it? then get Linux, or buy a Mac. The only valid vote is with your wallet - get used to it

metla
15-10-2004, 04:30 PM
China will save us all.

MartynC
15-10-2004, 04:50 PM
> China will save us all.
>

China will save us all? or Slave us all?

metla
15-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Dunno,seems no matter where you live you have to work during the day,sleep at night and get punished if you break any of the rules decided upon by fools in suits.Doesn't matter if your in China or Ireland.We are all slaves.

Just that i prefer rice.

Open up the gates,let the reds in.......

R2x1
15-10-2004, 05:56 PM
You'ld be paranoid too, if everybody was out to get you.

Billy T
15-10-2004, 06:13 PM
> Dunno,seems no matter where you live you have to work
> during the day,sleep at night and get punished if you
> break any of the rules decided upon by fools in suits.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em metla. Go buy a suit and people will automatically think you know what you are doing.;)

Be subtle, be happy, leave paranoia to the little people without suits.

Might have to sell your soul to the devil though, but at least you won't be cold at night. ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

beetle
15-10-2004, 06:21 PM
:^O

Metla in a suit????????????

yeah right

sounds like a Tui add..........anyone for a beer?

LOL

people make money out of people being paranoid, its a money making business isnt it?
look at all the alarm, security places we have about.

beetle