PDA

View Full Version : 1720-Hard drive detects Imminent failure

45South
15-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Got a Compaq 5000 someone brought to me with a couple of viruses/spyware etc
On booting a screen appears with message "1720-Hard drive detects Imminent failure" Apparently it's been giving this error for sometime.
Press F1 to continue or F10 to run IDE DPS Test, ran the test & the report is hard drive failure imminent please replace drive, no more info than that, pretty basic

I have run 6 other hard disk tools to test the drive.
1. Maxtor Powermax
2. Drive sitter v1.3
3. Eurosoft PC Check 5.50
4. Microscope Diagnostic v11.04u
5. Drive Health v2.0.30
6. Hard Drive Mechanic Deluxe

The drive passes with flying colours with the 3rd party apps
Anybody else had this problem with a Compaq?
I've done a google & not much info apart from replace the drive, Compaq recommendation
The system was pretty screwed up with the viruses & some driver issues etc. so I formatted the drive reinstalled ME & it's running sweet as.
Do I dump the drive or let the customer press F1 every time they boot the machine?
Thanks

Wilhelm Tell
15-10-2004, 10:26 AM
> ridicule a Compaq 5000 someone brought to me with a couple
> of viruses/spyware etc
> On booting a screen appears with message
> "1720-Hard drive detects Imminent failure"
> Apparently it's been giving this error for sometime.
> Press F1 to continue or F10 to run IDE DPS Test, ran
> the test & the report is hard drive failure imminent
> please replace drive, no more info than that, pretty
> basic
>
> I have run 6 other hard disk tools to test the
> drive.
> 1. Maxtor Powermax
> 2. Drive sitter v1.3
> 3. Eurosoft PC Check 5.50
> 4. Microscope Diagnostic v11.04u
> 5. Drive Health v2.0.30
> 6. Hard Drive Mechanic Deluxe
>
> The drive passes with flying colours with the 3rd
> party apps
> Anybody else had this problem with a Compaq?
> I've done a google & not much info apart from replace
> the drive, Compaq recommendation
> The system was pretty screwed up with the viruses &
> some driver issues etc. so I formatted the drive
> reinstalled ME & it's running sweet as.
> Do I dump the drive or let the customer press F1
> every time they boot the machine?

Would you accept this as a satisfactory situation if you were the client?
You leave yourself wide open for more than just ridicule.

> Thanks

robsonde
15-10-2004, 10:26 AM
I would replace the drive, the cost is not that much.

it makes bootup nicer and it is the safer option.

drb1
15-10-2004, 10:44 AM

Compaq ugh,

Try clearing the cmos, the message may be in there as it is a compaqu. They some times wont read memory change cpu change or hdd change untill you clear, some dell also behave like this, now the malware is gone the message may not return.

Maybee,

D.

45South
15-10-2004, 10:46 AM
thanks guys
yep that was my thinking, a new drive.
But i was hoping someone might have had this before with a Compaq & maybe there was a BIOS update or something
The 3rd party apps I used are heavyweight diagnostic apps & I just thought it was weird none of them picked up any errors
I don't want to go get another drive & have the same errors appear.
Guess trying another drive will be the only way to tell.
Cheers

wintertide
15-10-2004, 11:03 AM
I work with a lot of Compaq PCs here at my work and that 1720 error is always indicative of either a SMART HDD failure or an incompatible drive. Try upgrading the firmware for the drive and then if it doesn't work, then replace it.

PaulD
15-10-2004, 11:17 AM
What brand of HD is it? there is a Compaq update covering false 1720 error at POST with Seagate drives.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/533.html

45South
15-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks PaulD
It's a Maxtor drive

Graham L
15-10-2004, 01:17 PM
It's probably a response to a warning from the SMART system. If the drive checks out OK, it might just be that some bit of nastiness managed to write to wherever the BIOS logs SMART reports. I don't know enough about the SMART system ... it might be wholly in the disk controller in which case it's the drive controller which says "I am dying", and there's not much you can do except disable SMART in the BIOS. :D

45South
15-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks Graham
yes it is a SMART system warning but there is no option in the BIOS to disable it.
Good old Compaq
thanks again

Graham L
15-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Well if its a Maxtor drive, and the Maxtor diagnostic says it's OK, see what Maxtor say. It might be a known problem, with a fix (or a free replacement? :D).

45South
16-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Put a new 80G in last night with no problems so it must be the hard drive
I'll chuck it in another system for the kids & disable SMART & see how long it lasts
thanks all

fran
07-05-2005, 05:02 AM
HEllo! I have that problem with my COmpaq Presario COmputer, WHEN I turn on this, on the screen apper this: 1720-Hard drive detects Imminent failure, I have no idea abou it, but i guess it's a big problem.... I need any help to repair it... I'm studying english but my mother language is SPANISH, so I'll try to understand the instructions you can writne, THANKS!! and I'll be waiting :rolleyes:

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Hmm interesting. Looks like some Compaq systems can bring up this false error.

As shown here

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/7129.html

Before u install this, MAKE SURE your system is listed down the bottom!

And make sure your hard drive is a Maxtor hdd.

bartsdadhomer
07-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Put a new 80G in last night with no problems so it must be the hard drive
I'll chuck it in another system for the kids & disable SMART & see how long it lasts
thanks all

I did put the drive into another machine and it's still going strong 7mths later

canadianwolf16
29-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks Graham
yes it is a SMART system warning but there is no option in the BIOS to disable it.
Good old Compaq
thanks again
;) PPL!!!! i have a cure..i listend to all of u..but im toooo poor to buy a new hard drive..and blah blah..well i aM!!!!! n e ways..go to microsft.com and look 4 updates..it took awhile to find it out but DOWNLOAD THIS ROMOVEL TOOL THING... SAYS SUMTHING LIKE mDHFDHFDH NE WAYS IT REMOVES SUM PROGRAM OR ERROR m***** IDK I JUST REMEMBER IT STARTS WITH m

AND TRUST ME..AFTER U REMOVE N RUN THAT WEIRD PROGRAM.....THE REMOVEL TOOL THINGY....U RESTART.N NO 1720 THING ..SRY IF U DONT UNDERSTAND..BUT IT WORKS!!DONT BUY A NEW DRIVE...TRUST ME..GO TO MICROFT LOOOK 4 A REMOVEL TOOL.. N REMOVE THIS 1 [edit] PROGRAM OR ERROR IDK..JUS KNOW MY PC ISNT MESSSSD :D

[edit: Crikey, someone needs to wash their mouth out with soap. Please use more appropriate language on this forum - Jen (Moderator)]

Willieo
27-03-2007, 02:16 AM
I think canadianwolf is talking about the Malicious Software Removal Tool, which can fix some things, but it looks like other folks have already answered this question.

drcspy
27-03-2007, 05:20 AM
regarding the running of the drive manufacturer diagnostic.......did you run the FULL scan or the quick scan ?....i've had situations where the quick scan said all was ok but the full scan said it wasn't ok at all.........

The_End_Of_Reality
27-03-2007, 07:53 AM
I think canadianwolf is talking about the Malicious Software Removal Tool, which can fix some things, but it looks like other folks have already answered this question. You registered to post that and bring up and old thread where the OP was back in 2004? and will probably never be back... :badpc: :groan:

Why is it there are threads the one time posters always bring back??!! let them die already!!