PDA

View Full Version : about Memory Cards for Digital Cameras

Shaggy
15-10-2004, 02:34 AM
I just brought a HP Photosmart 630 Series Digital Camera
(the one in this weeks Wharehouse stationary)

& i wanna get a bigger memory card for it, the manual says to use SD or MultiMediaCard
Min 16 - Max 128mb

Then it says "This product only supports the use of MMC memry cards that have been verified compliant to the multiMediaCard sepcs"
Then cards that are available from HP
32MB SD Card - C8895A
64MB SD Card - C8896A
128MB SD Card - C8897A

my question is can i use any SD card? or just MMC SD Cards?
I figured i might buy one from trademe, but there are so many brands etc

And any any advice on good memory brands / any helpful advice

Thanks
Daniel

Shaggy
15-10-2004, 02:47 AM
P.S also with batteries what does the MA mean? like

PowerHaus NiMH AA Rechargeable Batteries 4pk (New) packaged.
2300mAh AA or HR6 size.
Enhanced capacity, up to 1000 cycles.

& 1800ma

Where can i find out what ma my camera is ment to use? ive reread the manual & cant see it anywhere.

Thanks again

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2004, 08:08 AM
I just purchased an SD Card from SuperCheapPC.biz (Auckland-based) for $29 Incl for my Creative PC-Cam 850!!!

Yes, you can use any brand SD-Card you like :-)

Chill.

Rob99
15-10-2004, 08:15 AM
I think the only difference is with SD cards you have the ability to lock the data on the card, write protect.

Spacemannz
15-10-2004, 08:20 AM
That photosmart sounds like a printer, not a camera. I have the HP Photosmart 145. It definitely isnt a camera! I use the same camera as Chill the PC-Cam 850 with a 128mb sd card.

MA means milliamps or something doesnt it? The higher the MA's are the faster it charges?? BUT i spose the charger would have to be the same (as in MA)?

Just as long as the camera takes AA, any AA battery will work. Rechargeable ones are better, than non-rechargeable ones.

If u have some spare AA batteries from a remote or something. chuck them in. See if the camera works.

MOST batteries, I would say would take AA battereies tho.

godfather
15-10-2004, 09:02 AM
> P.S also with batteries what does the MA mean? like

the mAh rating is the milliAmp/hour rating - the amount of energy stored effectively.

The higher the rating the longer they last between charges, nothing else.

The camera uses 667mA. A 2300mAh would theoretically last for 3.4 hours (3.4 x 667 = ~2300), although the rated 2300 is for a sustained lower discharge so 667 will result in a lower than rated life.

Just buy the largest mAh rating, probably 2300 at present.

> Where can i find out what ma my camera is ment to
> use? ive reread the manual & cant see it anywhere.

Page 115 on the downloaded manual.

Any memory card should work.

Shaggy
15-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Spacemannz - any batteries?

Godfather - i can't believe i missed that.

Chilling_Silence - I'll check the place out, it's better to buy from a business then from a person for warrenty etc.

Rob69 - Thanks for that info, didnt know you could write protect em.

Thanks All for the help it is much appreciated, I'm gonna head to that site now & have a nosey.

Daniel

Spacemannz
15-10-2004, 01:29 PM
MOST batteries, I would say would take AA batteries tho.

That should say most digital cameras NOT batteries!

Yup any batteries, but rechargeable will be better and will save u money Shaggy (AA that is) if the cam takes AA.

Shaggy
15-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Yea i figured it must of been a typo or somthing :)

Yea, I'm hoping to buy some rechargable's in a day or 2

Misty
15-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Up here in Auckland the shop called "Camera & Camera" claim to have the cheapest memory cards. I tried to check as to whether they have a branch in Palmerston North but could not find them at all in "Search NZ".

(the wind may have blown them away in Palmerston ! ]:) )

I got 128 MG for $60 "Silicon Power" "Compact Flash" (from Camera House - but that was bargaining ! - ie, quoting the "Camera & Camera" price)

Misty :)

Shaggy
15-10-2004, 11:01 PM
I can always try & find em on the net & courier em down.

sam m
15-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Bought 128MB SD Card for about $30 odd from flashcards.co.nz.
Fast delivery and very easy to do business with.

Shaggy
15-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Might compare with the SuperCheapPC.biz

Thanks for the address :)

Exwesty
16-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Shaggy,

As regards to batteries in digital camera's and the like, not just any old
battery will do.
Your stock standard eveready battery will give up the ghost after just a few shots, more so if you are using the flash.
You can buy Lithium camera batteries AA size at about $20 for a pair but these are a ONE time use battery.
Best bet go rechargable, get NiMh ( Nickel Metal Hydride ) batts. Energizer do a pair of 2300 mAh Energizer Digitals for $13 at Pak & Save.
You also buy the charger with two bundled batteries but these are only the 1700 mAh batts, this pack costs around $35
Don't overcharge them, typically a AA batt charged in pairs will take 4-6 hours unless your using a speed charger.

They should also be good for up to 1000 cycles if you look after them and don't overcharge, flatten them properly etc

You mentioned the Powerhaus charger - this comes with 4 2300 mAh AA batts, it also has a cigerette lighter attachment for charging on the run in your car, price wise this is around $90 but will give some more flexibility especially if your out and about and run out of battery power despite still wanting some more shots.

Digital cameras are a fairly high drain device and will suck a battery dry fairly quickly especially if you are using the LCD screen and or the flash, so carrying a spare set or two with you is a good idea.

Shaggy
16-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Yea, I've been looking on the net & that, I figure I might get 4 from trademe,

I should be able to get a reasonable price.

Might grab the 2 at Pak & Save to keep me going til then.

Thanks for the info, didn't realise that cameras drained that much :/

bRaZZiN
16-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Actually a good place to find things cheap is Pricespy.co.nz - it compares the prices of all online retailers of computer gear in NZ and finds the cheapest - usually Flashcards.co.nz has the cheapest. I bought a MMC card off them myself - cheapest, nastiest - did the job very nicely indeed.

Shaggy
16-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Pricespy.co.nz havent heard that address before, Thanks for that, I'm having a look at it now

Misty
16-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi Shaggy
Am finding using a digital camera a very steep learning curve but very exhilarating (am really good at spelling - but Mrs Misty had to help me out on that one !).

My camera says not to use lithium batteries so be really careful to check ! I notice that another contributor said they were good - but if you get the wrong one then it could overheat. At the moment it feels like a minefield so am reading the instructions like never before (usually I refer to them as a last resort).

I have ordered a battery charger, based on info from Bazza and g/f, who really know their stuff. In the meantime threw in some AA batteries from The Warehouse, which only lasted for about eight shots. Mind you have since discovered am using the largest setting, which means that we could print on A4 size paper, which we have not the slightest intention of doing at the moment.

A very steep learning curve !!!
Misty B-)

PS - on reading this seems more about me than you - so apologies about that - then you may still pick up something !!

godfather
16-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Exwesty has summed it up well for batteries.

If you use cheap AA's (non-alkaline) you are wasting both the time it takes to put them in and the money.

Camera's draw around 1 amp. A cheap "heavy duty" or "super heavy duty" battery destroys itself trying to deliver this. Alkalines handle it OK.

It makes little difference what "setting" the camera is as to current drain.

Unless a lithium is designed for high current it will fail (and possibly overheat). As well as that, you would have to be very rich to even consider the lithiums. They are dearer than rechargeables.

Even if camera's allow it, I would never recharge a NiMh battery in the camera, only in a charger. The smart chargers protect the battery from overchargung, and if the battery does leak its cheaper to toss the charger than the camera.

Most camera shops sell the charger/battery combinations. They are not expensive.
I therefore can't understand the trepidation.
4 x 1800 - 2300 mAh batteries combined with a smart charger would be around $60 or $80 tops. Readily available at DSE or any camera or electronics store.

These look OK at a quick glance.
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/S4060

$79.90 (or $38.27 trade price)
Thats a good price at trade rates!

Misty
16-10-2004, 08:22 PM
That Digitor from Dick Smith looks excellent godfather. Nevertheless for the same price, and thanks to great background advice from you and Bazza I am ordering for the same price a "Maha" MH-C401FS, which come with 4X 2200 aH, and a car kit.

The blurb says -
>>>Maha Battery Chargers now have the added benefit of what is called "Flex Pulse" which means regardless of the batteries capacity they are charged to their maximum, and normal conditioning is no longer necessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by charging the batteries. >

The link is
Maha (http://www.1newzealand.co.nz/mahabatterychargers.htm)

...or maybe I have missed something (again !)
Misty :|

godfather
16-10-2004, 10:27 PM
That looks really good.

And if you are getting it for less than $38 (the DSE trade price), a real bargain!

But perhaps you have to pay retail at DSE...

The car adapter is extremely useful.

Shaggy
16-10-2004, 11:49 PM
I Brought 2 Pairs from Countdown in Plamy, Energizer Recharble Digital, 2300Mah, $13 each, When i got em home i read

Warning
Charge only in nickel-metal Hydride Battery Chargers

So when i go back in ill, check DSE for a charger, or buy the pair that has a charger with em

Always read the label.....

Shaggy
17-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Also the Batt's i got with it just died so i put in some Everready General Purpose one's, get a long line of em like 20 or that for $6 (good for TV remote's)

So i put them in to get the current pics out & on the computer, but it won't start with em? not enough power in the cheap batteries????
I took em out after trying to turn on 2x.

On a total side note, anyone know the name of the music thats got alot of chanting in it (in Final Fantasy 8 [normally with the evil witch])???

nomad
17-10-2004, 06:45 PM
genrally u can try all kinds of mem cards. u dont need to go with the brand that is suggested by the manufacturer or say per size .... its easy try it out, if you have issues return it.

Shaggy
17-10-2004, 07:06 PM
i suppose but it moight void a warrenty or that, Size I might get a bigger one later on if i need a bigger one.

Misty
09-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Exwesty has summed it up well for batteries.

If you use cheap AA's (non-alkaline) you are wasting both the time it takes to put them in and the money.

Camera's draw around 1 amp. A cheap "heavy duty" or "super heavy duty" battery destroys itself trying to deliver this. Alkalines handle it OK.

It makes little difference what "setting" the camera is as to current drain.

Unless a lithium is designed for high current it will fail (and possibly overheat). As well as that, you would have to be very rich to even consider the lithiums. They are dearer than rechargeables.

Even if camera's allow it, I would never recharge a NiMh battery in the camera, only in a charger. The smart chargers protect the battery from overchargung, and if the battery does leak its cheaper to toss the charger than the camera.

Most camera shops sell the charger/battery combinations. They are not expensive.
I therefore can't understand the trepidation.
4 x 1800 - 2300 mAh batteries combined with a smart charger would be around $60 or $80 tops. Readily available at DSE or any camera or electronics store.

These look OK at a quick glance.
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/S4060

$79.90 (or $38.27 trade price)
Thats a good price at trade rates!

I see from the latest "Consumer" Magazine that the digitor batteries that you gave a link to (above) are rated by them as one of the two best. They are "Fast and consistent" according to Consumer mag.
cheers
Misty ;)

Murray P
09-02-2005, 08:55 PM
As per sam m, flashcards.co.nz have some pretty good deals. Someone on here, gave them a rave review for product and service. At your own risk, of course.