PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre crash - XP on Win 2003 every afternoon

robo
14-10-2004, 04:59 PM
A curly problem.
A friend's Windows Xp machine is losing connection to the shared network drive somewhere between 4pm and 5pm on a daily basis. There are three PCs in the network, all Xp. The server is running as a domain controller, Windows 2003 Server.
The problem PC can still browse the internet through the ADSL router, but cannot see the shared drive.
This is quite bizarre. Antivirus is up to date. Nothing is scheduled to run on the client or the server anywhere near this time of day. The other two client machines are not displaying this problem. They were all installed at once. She did install Service Pack 2, which the other two don't have.
Any ideas?
robo.

Spacemannz
14-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I would check event viewer, to see what that says/logs

CYaBro
14-10-2004, 05:25 PM
When it happens does the workstation lose all connectivity with the server?
i.e. can you ping it by ip address and computer name? Or do a search for the server computer name and browse it that way?
Have you checked the user account on the server to make sure their login hours etc haven't been played around with?

robo
14-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Logon hours-haven't checked that, I will.
Net use says OK but if you type g: it can't find the link. Didn't try pinging the server, but as I can do things on the web, basic IP is working.
I haven't tried printing to shared printers when it happens. I am never anywhere near it when it happens and today was first chance I got to at least to some basic remote diagnosis (She just powers it off, which doesn't help).

Checked the logs and there is nothing really obvious.
robo.

robsonde
14-10-2004, 08:45 PM
could it be that your DHCP lease it up? maybe the IP is only valid for 24 hours??

could you keep an eye on the system tomorrow and get a more exact time of day? is it the exact same time of day each day???

user error??

how many boxes on the network? are they affected??

just some things to think about.

robo
14-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Lease on IP is a possibility.
Two other client PCs, both fine (except one had complete rebuild today because virus munted it on Saturda).
I have asked them to reboot at 1pm to see if it survives the witching hour at 4pm. Exact time of day isn't possible, she may not be using machine (checked all power saving and hibernation, it's all off).
robo.

Spacemannz
15-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Is the SP2 PC's firewall on or off Robo?? Since its on by default in SP2?

robo
15-10-2004, 10:29 AM
I can check. It was apparently doing this before SP2 was put on (which was without my knowledge, and I am grumpy about because it makes it different from the other two).
robo.

parry
15-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Would an alarm be a possible cause? The service agency polls the lines once/day to check the connection so perhaps this is resetting something. Shouldnt with ADSL as the lines should be separated.

robo
15-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Shouldn't think so, not during working hours, and all machines on same link and only the ADSL router connected to phone line.
robo.

ugh1
15-10-2004, 01:43 PM
One possiability could be an indexing or backup service that is locking the shares while it does it's stuff.

Spacemannz
15-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Hmm i posted this prob in a xp newsgroup. One guy replied saying he's running normal XP and one with SP2 on a Server 2003 PC domain.

No prob at all.

So, it definitely isnt SP2 thats the prob. It maybe the PC itself. Or even it's NIC? Might be faulty somewhere??

He said to check the event viewer on the ws (which I take it means Workstation)? On the server 2003 PC?

parry
18-10-2004, 04:56 PM
I wonder if this is like that anecdote where a hospital had a lot of deaths each night because the cleaner took out the plug to the life support when he plugged in his vacuum cleaner to clean the rooms. When do they do their cleaning? :D

drb1
18-10-2004, 05:04 PM
> I wonder if this is like that anecdote where a
> hospital had a lot of deaths each night because the
> cleaner took out the plug to the life support when he
> plugged in his vacuum cleaner to clean the rooms.
> When do they do their cleaning? :D

Does it have good condition ups? mine goes mental every evening and morning, at highload periods, the vector line maintainer/inspector said (Unnofically) the new tranny in this block is to small, and thats why.

D.

robo
18-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Am going to have a play tomorrow afternoon.
A restart at about 2pm stops it from happening at four. Am thinking IP address leasing maybe.
robo.

robo
18-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Actually, can't be that, leasing is renewed if you are still logged in, automatically.
robo.

drb1
18-10-2004, 06:12 PM
> Am going to have a play tomorrow afternoon.
> A restart at about 2pm stops it from happening at
> four.

What clock is it resetting when you restart?

Somebodys phone home, with a disconnect afterwards?

D.

parry
28-10-2004, 04:31 PM
So what was the reason in the end or is it still unresolved? Just interested. :-)

robo
28-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Unresolved. Not IP address leasing (24 hours). Can't find any other reason. Still hasn't happened when I am there.
robo.

Graham L
28-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Of course it won't fail while you're watching. What do you expect?

But aren't there any log files? Does Dr Watson know anything (I've never used that so don't know anything about it.;-))

Bletch
28-10-2004, 05:54 PM
do you have access to the server? you could try changing the IP lease time to 1 minute, that's what I do to diagnose a fault with a "rapidly changing" network. See if the problem happens immediately. Also if you don't want to do that, try ipconfig /renew to renew all DHCP leases. Then see if this causes the problem.

Bletch
28-10-2004, 05:58 PM
that should be ipconfig /renew on the workstation system. The 1 minute DHCP thing won't take effect until the next time the lease is renewed

wotz
28-10-2004, 09:47 PM
I have seen it happen when the UPS batteries were dead.

Growly
28-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Considered the the hot water cylinder's daily flush (if it has one) causing unusual interference in any network cabling that runs near?

robo
24-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Update - Finally sorted
It was the DNS. It was set to the ISP DNS, not the local 2003 server.
Even though this allowed the PC to login, but somehow it got tangled over time and eventually would fail in ten hours or so.
Changed the DNS to the ip of the local server and it is now fine.
robo.

mikebartnz
24-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Makes for a trickey one to trouble shoot. Would have been easier if it hadn't worked full stop.

robo
24-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Exactly. Stopping after ten hours is very annoying.
robo.