PDA

View Full Version : Can't log on to server

DavidW
14-10-2004, 01:32 PM
My friend has a computer that suddenly stopped logging on to xtra. It uses a Dick Smith PCI modem. Xtra help said it wasn't a problem their end. I took the computer to compulink and they tested it and there was no problem. I brought it home and there was no problem. I took it back to their place and it still wouldn't connect. Tried disconnecting all the phones but no go. Telecom tested the line --- no problem. Any ideas as to what else I can do ?? David

Graham L
14-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Try a different cable from the modem to the jack. Try a different jack point.

Telecom tests really check that the line works as a telephone line, but that's a start. :D

DavidW
14-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks Graham I have tried another jackpoint with a different cable. Still no joy David

mark c
14-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Can you connect to a different ISP at their place? Use your own ISP details then if it works you've isolated it down to the ISP.

DavidW
14-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Mark Its not opening up the ADSL link which is telecom. So I cant try and log on to a different provider. David

Berryb
14-10-2004, 02:21 PM
If you have your own ADSL connection then you can use your user name and password to login to any ISP with Jetstream. I am with Ihug but can also login to an Xtra ADSL account no prob. So if you can use another user name and see if that works

DavidW
19-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Turned out to be a telecom line fault. The line was OK for phone but US for ADSL Telecom didn't offer to refund the compulink bill! Thanks for your thoughts David