PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive upside down

IanS
14-10-2004, 10:14 AM
I have installed a second hard drive [Fujitsu 4.3Gb] in the slave position on the primary cable. To get the cable to connect I had to mount the drive upside down. Is mounting it this way likely to cause any trouble?? It is working normally.

mark c
14-10-2004, 10:38 AM
I've seen hard drives mounted on their side. Not flat like they ususally are so imagine it wouldn't matter. Electronic stuff generally can be any way, as there is little use of gravity in the engineering.

Someone might have more to say on the subject though. :D

godfather
14-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Modern drives can be mounted in any plane.

For maximum reliability format and install the data with the drive in the fitted position, be it upside down, sideways or not.

FrankS
14-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Quote from Seagate Installation Guide "Note. You can mount the drive in any orientation. Usually it is mounted with the circuit board down."
My only concern would have been dust collecting on the circuit board and if feasible would have installed it below the main hard drive to give some protection. Suggest check any cooling air filters are clean to minimise dust.

R2x1
14-10-2004, 01:03 PM
If the upside-down drive is the one with the OS, you may find that daylight saving times are reversed, a-la northen hemisphere.
;)
R2

Graham L
14-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Even "formatting in the use position" is no longer necessary. IDE disks have servo tracks written in the factory which define the tracks. MFM disks (especially the ones which used stepper motor head positioners) had to be formatted in the correct orientation because gravity made a difference.

The "low level" formatting users can perform on an IDE drive just writes the headers and trailers on the sectors ... the tracks are determined for the life of the drive by the factory written servo surface.