PDA

View Full Version : The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.

Myke
14-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm using the free back Up utility on XP to back up a PC. Several PCs back up to the computer in question (about three hours prior).

The back ups are going to tape. What confuses me just a tad is that if the media fails to mount and the operation is aborted, why does it still back up 14 gig and take 3 and a half hours?

Content being backed up has changed. Should I consider erasing the tapes, deleting the catalogues? I haven't used this utility previously and despite searching microsoft and googling, haven't found anything helpful.

I've posted the report log below.

Backup Status

Operation: Backup

Active backup destination: 4mm DDS

Media name: "RECEPTION-Fri-08-10-2004-11-00"

Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "

Backup set #1 on media #1

Backup description: "daily Fri-08-10-2004-11-00"

Media name: "RECEPTION-Fri-08-10-2004-11-00"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 8/10/2004 at 11:01 p.m..

The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.

The operation was ended.

Backup completed on 9/10/2004 at 2:29 a.m..

Directories: 645

Files: 11828

Bytes: 14,156,696,459

Time: 3 hours, 27 minutes, and 5 seconds

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

drb1
14-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Myke,

Do you have something "Spare" you can attempt to restore on.

or some way of integrity checking the tape .

It could just be an odd displayed incorrect error, or a real problem, it has obviously written something to the tape.

D.

Graham L
14-10-2004, 01:41 PM
This looks like a case of misleading error messages. Such things do occur. ;-)

You may have written "RECEPTION-Fri-08-....[etc]" on the case of the tape. But unless there has been a tape label block written to the tape, the hardware doesn't know.

This is old technology. The tape label is used as a protection against accidents. The OS/backup software relies on it to know who owns the tape, when it was written, when it can be overwritten, who can read the tape ...

So what happens is this:

(1) you have told it to use "Media name RECEPTION-Fri-08 ... [etc]"

(2) the software looks for a tape label block at the very start of the tape. If it's a new tape there might not be one, or there might be a default one.

(3)Anyway, it didn't find one containing the label "RECEPTION-Fri-08 ...", so it complains. On a mainframe, there would be an operator command which actually writes a suitable label to the tape and the OS would automatically look again, and start the backup when it finds the correct label. Since this is not a mainframe, with trained operators, it probably just gives a warning ... giving you a chance to realise that you have put the wrong tape on ... then it will have timed out then automatically written a label block and started the backup.

If you mount that tape, it should tell you that it has that "Media name" now. And the 14 GB are probably all there. ;-)

Graham L
14-10-2004, 02:15 PM
P.S. Just looked at the last line of the logfile again ... I'd strongy suggest you check the tape contents ... (not just "catalogs" on disk). Look for a "Label" command in the backup software though I guess it would automatically do it as I suggested. Does the tape appear in "My Computer"? See if you can explore it ... and see what the tape is labelled.