PDA

View Full Version : Data Transfer Dilemma

Aquiscian
14-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Problem is that we need to transfer data from the old pc to a new pc, But:

1: The old pc cannot be turned off for more than 1hr as it runs a security monitoring program.

2: Cannot network the two, due to authority privileges - we have none, due to the systems engineer who set it up 8 years ago has left the planet with our password.

3: Cannot backup data from the old pc as the cdrw is non-compliant to any request what-so-ever.

Could anyone out there offer some guidance to some poor ol'blind fellas from Mt Maunganui?

Rob99
14-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Dont know if I can help but could you post back with the Operating systems of the two computers concerned

drb1
14-10-2004, 07:56 AM
What O/S
What File Sys.

Does the new unit have O/S and s/w to run security system.

Or do you mean you wish to transfer O/S all s/w and all dat from old to new.

D.

andrew93
14-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Following on from the 2 previous posts, how much data do you want to transfer and does the old PC have a USB port?

mark c
14-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Maybe you could install a new external CD writer?

My2c :D

Graham L
14-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Can you boot it from a floppy or a CD? If so, there should be no problem, as long as the disk format is not too weird.

It is really essential for us to know what the OS is, and preferably, the disk format (FAT32?).

You may find that you can boot a Knoppix Linux CD, start Samba and copy files to your heart's content. There are DOS network servers which you can start from a floppy.

Aquiscian
15-10-2004, 04:08 AM
Both windows2000...sorry about late reply

Aquiscian
15-10-2004, 04:28 AM
Just to transfer the data collected by one program, which contains consistent collective details. The program is operational 24/7 and our projected downtime for transferral is limited to 1 Hour.

Ta for the quick response.

drb1
15-10-2004, 04:51 AM
How big is the file/data collection.

you could tak the H/drive out of old machine.

Make it a slave. put it in new machine on ide 2. copy file or part of across to new H/D. put back in old machine before 1 hr passes. mabye do this several times if file is very big.

If you are not very comfortable with this look at grahams sujjestion for booting old machine by C/D O/S and transfering over network.

What are file systems, is security system on new machine?

These answers are required to give better asistance.

D.

beama
15-10-2004, 06:42 AM
how about a external usb cd writer or maybe even usb networking

DONOT use a normal usb cable

you can purchase usb netorking cables from Dick Smith

Aquiscian
15-10-2004, 07:38 AM
If i was a dog, my master would have shot me! Thanx, never even thought of slaving it? Too bizzy thinking about the NPC, cheers...will attempt it today.

Thanx again...