PDA

View Full Version : Odd people wanting help.

drb1
14-10-2004, 04:38 AM
People,

I have noticed a number of people asking for help in questionable areas.

These people never think to make it easy to contact them.

Contact details can be altered and turned on and off at will.

D.

JJJJJ
14-10-2004, 05:55 AM
??????? What does that post mean????
Jack

sam m
14-10-2004, 06:03 AM
> ??????? What does that post mean????
> Jack

My guess is that he wants to answer questionable questions by giving questionable people an avenue to allow answering questionable questions without directly saying "show your email address" so those that want to contact you directly can do so and therefore avoid stigma of being a questionable questioner and those that choose to answer can do so without being tagged a questionable answerer.

JJJJJ
14-10-2004, 06:08 AM
Now I understand.
Jack

drb1
14-10-2004, 06:22 AM
> > ??????? What does that post mean????
> > Jack
>
> My guess is that he wants to answer questionable
> questions by giving questionable people an avenue to
> allow answering questionable questions without
> directly saying "show your email address" so those
> that want to contact you directly can do so and
> therefore avoid stigma of being a questionable
> questioner and those that choose to answer can do so
> without being tagged a questionable answerer.

Sam M,

I personally dont have the answers, I dont know enough about the queationable side of computing to give those answers .

Having said that your's, was a very good answer to the, WTF question.

Would you not agree many do not help them selves?

D.

sam m
14-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Not sure what you mean but I am going to guess again.

Is your reference to the infamous he who was banned WTF who had a penchant for referring posters to either Google or Search (via PF1)

If so I agree that looking for answers yourself is a more rewarding experience as there is more liklihood that what was discovered would become more entrenched. That is a style of learning that I profess to.
However the whole point of F1 is that you ask a question and someone will (hopefully) answer. We are not to presume that the person asking the question hs not already searched without success. Maybe their searching technique was not up to par or the answer found was not comprehendable with their level of computing or maybe they are just too lazy or just too busy.

I am not sure what this has to do with your original post - I am guessing that I may have misconstrued your intention. Another problem with forums which often leads to heated arguements.

drb1
14-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Sam M,

Litrelally what the was ment in my answer, no reference to any poster.

The point is to ask a question and get an answer, or a good pointer, if you dont know how to ask google properly/in the right way. Some times different language to ask the same question can work wonders.

Some people ask questions or want answers to questions that the rules forbid.

I routinely check the profile of posters that I reply to, and of those asking "Interesting" questions. Is this not why the information is there?

Frequently those who ask 'Interesting or Questionable " question, have not made life easier for themselves, or any whom whish to help AND obey the rules. by making their addreses temporarily available.

Miscconstrued, no you can not start a thread like this to bluntly.

It would be like writing a HowTo on "duplicating O/Sys and packages, in such a way as to satisfy the unwary purchaser".

Many of the unethical Idiots in the market today need such a howto but this would not be the place to put such.

D.

JJJJJ
14-10-2004, 09:33 AM
I still can't work out exactly what you're on about. All sounds a bit silly to me. If you want help ask a question.
Jack

metla
14-10-2004, 09:42 AM
all he said was if your asking for info that maynot be allowed to be discussed via the forums then they may have recieved an answer had they included contact details in their profile.

Jester
14-10-2004, 12:14 PM
... a PM (personal message) option would help this issue.

drb1
14-10-2004, 12:50 PM
> ... a PM (personal message) option would help this
> issue.

True.

If a poster needs questionable help they should have the brains to keep their options open.

Addresess do not have to be permenently displayed and can be changed.

we get a lot from a small ciculation mag really.

Things that would help seekers further like glossarys and an individual listing of Howtos would be of more value than P/M .

D.

JJJJJ
14-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Please explain what you mean by questionable help.
Jack

R2x1
14-10-2004, 01:00 PM
"We are put on this earth to help others. What the others are here for, I have no idea".

R2

drb1
14-10-2004, 01:02 PM
jjjj

Help that can can not be given without breaking forum rules.

D.

JJJJJ
14-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Now I understand what you are talking about.
Jack