PDA

View Full Version : DVD Writers

45South
13-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi,
I know I should do this myself but I'm just too damn busy at the moment
I'm looking for a new DVD writer & would like opinions on the best available at the moment.
Any reviews, comparison sites or personal preferences would be great
Thanks for any help you can give

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2004, 01:48 AM
QMB are doing a Sony drive cheap at the moment, Ive just sold two to customers and both are very happy! My Optorite DD0201 is good (Now that Ive updated firmware). Ive heard the Pioneer DVR-109 is good too !

Dragonslayer
14-10-2004, 10:18 AM
I've got a pioneer DVR-A06 (bit old now), but has been extremly reliable, and the written media can be read in all drives ive used it with (DVD Player, XBOX and PC DVD Drive). Looking at upgrading to a dual layer sometime, when the media become cheaper.

Pete O\'Neil
14-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Remember to get a dual layer drive. Ive heard good things about the Pioneer drive, Ive got a Pioneer DVD-ROM myself and its fantastic.

alphazulusixeightniner
14-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Forget Sony, they just rebadge other drives and add a huge markup on them.

You can get a SOHW-832S, DVD±RW/±R Dual Layer Writer, DVD 12R/8W/4RW, CD 40R/40W/24RW, Internal, IDE for $205.94 off Ascent

or from

http://www.pp.co.nz/DVDWriters.php

LiteOn SOHW-1633S Dual Layer Dual Format (16x+R 4x+RW 8x-R 4x-RW) Internal IDE DVD-Writer Software Included, 12 Months for $191

Which is the next model up I think for $15 cheaper ;)

POTUS
15-10-2004, 10:52 AM
What do you experts think of this burner for $129 plus GST?

The BenQ DVD822A is the world’s first 8x DVD+/-RW re-writer with firmware upgrade to DVD+R double-layer recordable drive. It is designed for customers in search of something different among the existing dual DVD+/-RW drives and provides a free firmware upgrade feature to become a double-layer recordable drive. The firmware features 2.4x DVD+R double-layer recording speed and will be available from the beginning of Q4-2004, when double-layer media becomes more accessible on the market.

Unlimited boundaries
Dual support
A Dual Drive supports both +R/RW and –R/RW format

45South
15-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys I'll have a look at all those
The Opterite & the Liteon got great reviews on one site I looked at so will take a closer look at them.
As far as the BenQ goes POTUS, a lot of people told me BenQ CD writers were garbage, but I've written in excess of 1000 CD's on one & it hasn't missed a beat yet so maybe they aren't as bad as some think

alphazulusixeightniner
15-10-2004, 02:33 PM
The advantage with the Liteon drives is that mostly all of them can make excellent backups of your protected Safedisk games (if you are into that sort of thing).

Billy T
15-10-2004, 07:46 PM
>Forget Sony, they just rebadge other drives and add a huge markup on them.

Soooo.....................

If Sony rebadge others' products and add a huge markup..............

Tell us who the original manufacturers are so we can score their drives at cheaper prices. That would be really helpful thanks.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

alphazulusixeightniner
15-10-2004, 11:19 PM
A few of them at least are made by Liteon :)

"Sony are basically brand owners - they make money from being able to charge a premium for their brand, and from having extensive, entrenched distribution networks. A large percentage of their products are now made by OEMs.

They go through a tendering process, where the product specs and other requirements are advertised, and OEMs tender for the manufacturing contract. Typically, this includes right up to packaging the goods, where they are fed into the Sony distribution channels."

You can see some of the OEMs for Sony on this page (http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm), scroll down and you'll see something like SONY DVD RW DRU-700A (OEM SOHW-832S). The SOHW-832S is a Liteon drive as are most of them. ;) Then you head off to ParadigmPCs (http://www.pp.co.nz/DVDWriters.php) and compare prices - $257 for the Sony rebadge, $176 for the Liteon.

:^O

Billy T
16-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for that, it is very enlightening. Out-sourcing of manufacturing is not uncommon, but my interest is particularly aroused because Sony are fiercely protective of their reputation and would not attach their brand to anything that was not top quality.

I guess not all of the oOEM drive models would necessarily be to the same standard as the ones that Sony picks, but it is a good wondow on their design and manufacturing quality.

Maybe we need a list of premium brand names that have OEM alternatives. This would make an excellent thread in its own right, leading to a buying guidelines FAQ.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pete O\'Neil
16-10-2004, 10:16 AM
There are alot of companies that rebadge Lite-On drives, its been going on for a long time.

45South
16-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Actually, now that I come to think of it, 8yrs ago when I bought an HP (don't say a word) the CDRom was a sony with the grey HP drawer & logo on the front.