PDA

View Full Version : Security Update Downloaded Files

LucyL
13-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Am running XPpro SP2 with no apparent problems.

I did a security update from MS website today (2 updates available) - but I couldn't find where the files were downloaded to on my harddrive. They weren't saved into the usual temp Windows update folder.

Where were they saved to??? I know I've now lost the files for those updates but would like to know for future downloads.

I usually save the update files in case I need to reload windows etc or share them with others.

Hope someone can help with this mystery.

Cheers Lucy

johnboy
13-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Check in C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\ to see if they are in that folder? you have to have show hidden files or folders ticked .
Also check out this page it tells you where the specific updates are downloaded to here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166).
Do you know the number of the up dates you could do a search for them.
hth

ferrite
13-10-2004, 10:17 PM
i bet m/s will have a full board of calls tomorrow hehehehe.mines stuck on trying to shut down.

LucyL
14-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for that Johnboy. Yes did check in all the usual places - WUTemp folder, windows temp folders, temp Internet files etc even did a search of both harddrives. Couldn't find anything.

I've always used to be able to save the update file from the WUTemp folder but with the new window updater or is it SP2 things seem to have changed. Bit of a nuisance really cos they were big downloads and are good to have in case a reinstall of op sys is needed.

I'll wade throught the link you posted and see if I can find what I'm looking for there.

Thanks Lucy