PDA

View Full Version : NZ Proxy Servers

heni72847
13-10-2004, 07:57 PM
i read about proxy servers today
and thought if i connected to one that's in nz my internet might be faster..right?

while this is all good, i notice that ... i can't find a free nz proxy that i can use my internet through...

is there one out there somewhere for free?
and is there a program that can help setting the proxy settings up?

robsonde
13-10-2004, 08:07 PM
who is your ISP??

a number of ISPs run a proxy for there users only.

agent
13-10-2004, 08:58 PM
The problem with New Zealand is that we don't have any independent proxy servers (at least that I know of), and so you are restricted to using an overseas one, or one provided by your ISP (if they provide one at all).

stu120404
13-10-2004, 10:20 PM
> is there one out there somewhere for free?

Have a look here: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html & look for NZ Proxys

Hope this helps :)

tweak\'e
13-10-2004, 10:34 PM
>nd thought if i connected to one that's in nz my internet might be faster..right?

not really. its only a big advantage if its a very slow site you want to veiw and you have decent broadband, ie you download it off the proxy's cache quicker than off the orginal site. a local proxy can help exspecially if your isp charges you for international bandwidth/data and the data is comman. however the odds are your isp is already running a transperant proxy to save themselves the cost of international data.

the main thing people use proxy severs for is to hide themselves and their activities.

zqwerty
13-10-2004, 10:56 PM
stu120404

No New Zealand proxy servers at the site you posted unfortunately.

heni72847
13-10-2004, 11:15 PM
um..then there's no point then...

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Most public proxies arent totally anonymous though, so there's little point to them. The Site Stu mentioned is good if you're looking for a public proxy that is anonymous, but the question I ask is why? What are you doing that you dont want your IP revealed for??

Or are you after an NZ proxy so that it wont chew through your international bandwidth meter, because, like me, you get free national downloads??

heni72847
14-10-2004, 08:33 AM
i was hoping that accessing national data would be quicker than international

i'm on flatrate.. so bandwidth isn't a problem for me

Graham L
14-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Perhaps what you should look for is mirrors. ISPs will run their own proxy servers ... they want to bring only one copy of any page into the country if possible even if there are hundreds of thousands of requests. Mirrors are straight copies of whole sites.

When you use google, use google.co.nz not google.com . That's because the .co.nz one is a mirror. You get exactly the same results. Without international traffic. I was saddened by the silly people who got all upset when they noticed that their ISPs had started readdressing their google requests to the NZ mirror. Shock Horror. :_|

heni72847
14-10-2004, 04:34 PM
um... but u can't really add a .co.nz to international site to make it national...

Graham L
14-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Eh? Of course you can't just "add a .co.nz". Servers are built and paid for by people who can make or save money by having them. Google have installed the mirror servers and registered google.co.nz.

google.co.nz is a server (or servers) located in NZ . It contains the same content as the many google.com servers located around the world. It's a google mirror. There are a lot of mirrors. Some of the *nix distributions re mirrored in NZ. The universities maintain mirrors to reduce their international traffic, thus saving money. The UK universities have had an enormous cooperative mirror site for some time.

ISPs use proxy servers for a similar purpose. It's to save them money (and keep their average bandwidth usage lower)..

A mirror is great for stuff which doesn't change much. Proxy servers bring in changed stuff in real time. Mirrors are usually updated in batch mode.

You seem to want someone to provide a proxy server to save you money. I'm sure there are philanthropists around, but you're probably being a bit optimistic.

Growly
14-10-2004, 07:48 PM
>the main thing people use proxy severs for is to hide themselves and their activities.

Dammit.

heni72847
14-10-2004, 09:32 PM
hah .. yea.. true..wellz.. not exactly save money since i'm on flat rate...
just curious how other countries you can find these proxies but not for nz...