PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Energy Blue Theme for Windows XP available

Babe Ruth
13-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Microsoft Offers Media Center's Energy Blue Theme to Tablet PC Users

"One of the most obvious changes in Windows XP Media Center Edition (XP MCE) 2005 is the inclusion of a new desktop theme called Energy Blue. Originally, Microsoft intended to include the new theme only with XP MCE 2005; however, the theme is now available for download for Tablet PC users from the Microsoft Web site. EnergyBlue Theme (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=86268ffa-70b1-4814-bd00-2d380dc5a89d&displaylang=en)"

Note this theme can be used on Windows XP and by using a tool such as WinRAR or WinZip, you can extract the downloadable .exe file and use the theme on any XP version. by copying the extracted files to the %SystemDrive%\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes folder. Where %SystemDrive% is your drive/partition that Windows is installed on e.g. C:

I have tested this and it works well.(Whether you want/need/like this theme is obviously a matter of choice). However to save you getting the theme and figuring out how to put the files in the right places I have ZIP’d a copy of the folder structure I used and is available for you (if you wish) by emailing baberuth32 athe hotmail dotta com, and I will send you the file (approx 1.88MB). You can then simply UNZIP this directly using the included folder structure to your Windows XP machine - and maybe enjoy it!

Cheers, Babe.

agent_24
13-10-2004, 06:17 PM
how about a link to a screenshot that shows what that new theme looks like???

:D

Babe Ruth
13-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Agent_24,

OK have a look at EnergyBlue (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/EnergyBlue.jpg) the file size is approx 350KB.

Cheers, Babe.

Trev O
15-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Thanks Babe Ruth, good tip, that's much better...

Do you know if we can mix and match? specifically the left hand side bar in explorer looks a bit boring (plain) compared to the default XP one (blue)

Trev

Fire-and-Ice
15-10-2004, 08:27 AM
It mentions SP2 on the download page so will this theme not work in SP1? I've extracted the files to the Theme folder as Babe Ruth directed but it doesn't look like the one shown in the screeny. Looks more like the default blue theme. :-(

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2004, 10:02 AM
It still looks like much of the same thing if you ask me...

Personally I'd rather B6 Window borders on Grand-Canyon Widgets:
http://www.dimension.net.nz/tmp/Style.png

agent_24
15-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I've got the theme running fine on my SP1a.

Fire-and-Ice
15-10-2004, 06:54 PM
> I've got the theme running fine on my SP1a.

Well that sounds promising. Does it look exactly like Ms Ruth's screeny? How did you do it? Step by step instructions would be good. ;-)

agent_24
15-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Mine looks the same as the screenshot, as far as I can tell.

I just got the offered zip file and extracted it to C:\Windows\resources\themes,

went into desktop properties and chose "energy blue" in themes.

worked fine. Not sure how you would go about it with MS's download.

Trev O
15-10-2004, 08:40 PM
I did like Babe Ruth said and unziped the downloaded Microsoft .exe and put it all where said and all is well with sp2 installed
it's not much different but better looking all the same...

Trev