PDA

View Full Version : Printer Query

geekgirl
13-10-2004, 03:39 PM
I have a Windows XP laptop and a Mac OS X laptop (both within a year old and not networked).

Im wanting to get a printer which will work with both machines, without spending heaps of money (below $200 ??).

It doesnt have to be a laptop printer (ie - those compact ones), but as long as its compatible.

Anyone know of a particular one or where I could get one??? (without auction sites and private sales, thanks).

Murray P
13-10-2004, 03:44 PM
As long as the printer comes with windows and mac drivers you should be sweet. The main problem is having them both plugged in at the same time, I think you'll need something like a KVM swtch to do that uless you want to go to a network printer (ethernet) which I don't think you will get for the money you mention.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
13-10-2004, 03:50 PM
The Mac will have USB won't it? If so you should be OK with any USB printer.

Murray P
13-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Are USB printers hot swapable Graham? That's why I suggested a switch, unless, of course, they're coming out with two or more USB sockets now, which would be kind of handy. A thought, mine has both USB and parallel port, lappy into USB with PC into parallel?

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
13-10-2004, 04:00 PM
USB is hot swappable. But I don't think she needs both connected to the printer all the time.

Murray P
13-10-2004, 04:05 PM
My experience with USB printers (probably more accurate to say the drivers) is that they complain bitterly if you unplug then re-plug them with all the hassle of re-introducing the OS to the the drivers. XP could be different though, win2k here.

Cheers Murray P

Peter H
13-10-2004, 04:09 PM
I use a Canon S330 - usb - hot swapable no problems between 2 comps. Manual supplies instructions for both PC & Mac driver installation.
Bye

andrew93
13-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Hi

Given your budget I would recommend something like a 2nd hand HP LaserJet 6MP - it is a good reliable printer that is compatible with both XP and Mac. It uses the traditional parallel cable and if you can't be bothered to plug and unplug the cable every time you want to switch over, then you could connect the printer to both computers via an A/B parallel port switch that looks like this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Other/auction-16898616.htm) or this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Cabling/auction-17035573.htm).

If you are looking for an inket then take your pick from www.pricespy.co.nz and for inkjet printers I expect you would use a USB cable as mentioned in the previous posts.

HTH, Andrew.

andrew93
13-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Oh and where to get a used LaserJet from without going through private sales or an auction? Where are you based?

geekgirl
14-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Both computers have USB so a USB compatible printer will be ok...

Im in the wairarapa, so choices are limited - basically either DSE or Noel leeming, but I could order online, as long as its New Zealand based.

To clarify a little - I would only be using the printer on one computer at a time, not needing to put it on a network.

Thanks for all the advice for this and also my other post.

Peter H
14-10-2004, 10:16 AM
From experience, would recommend DSE & Canon. They have the lowest running costs, in my opinion.
Bye